DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Street interview mic w/separate recorder? MD46? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/505357-street-interview-mic-w-separate-recorder-md46.html)

Steve House February 19th, 2012 02:46 PM

Re: Street interview mic w/separate recorder? MD46?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Hildebrandt (Post 1716005)
To Steve: So I guess the question becomes then, what is an appropriate recorder to use with a dynamic microphone?

-------------------

Also, what would you suggest is the best dress for an interview crew?

And... are you saying that by using a plugin transmitter and wireless receiver, that actually amplifies the signal?

There are a lot of recorders out there that will work well. It's just that the handheld mini recorders aren't very good candidates. One has to look at the specs when one can find them. For example, the H4n is rated at -42dBm input on its XLR mic connections at its most sensitive. Couple that with the rated output of -52dBm @ 1Pa SPL for the MD46 and you can see there's a big gap, the input just not being sensitive enough for the mic by a full 10 dB. Compare that to the 70 dB of gain offered by the mic inputs of a SD702 recorder. Or compare with one of the old professional mini-disk recorders, the HHB MDP500, designed for radio field use for streeters etc using similar mics to the MD46, whose mic sensitivity is -52dBu for a 0dBFS recording level.

The plugin doesn't increase the gain per se but when you have a wireless hop there are two independent gain chains involved. The first chain is from the mic ending at the transmitter and the second starts at the receiver and ends in the recorder. The Senn butt-plug is designed for dynamic mics and has enough sensitivity for the mic to drive it properly so the the receiver in turn can reach its full output.

Paul Hildebrandt February 19th, 2012 06:05 PM

Well I did a few interviews today using a magic lantern 60d and my juicedlink 231 preamp. Recorded straight to the camera and didn't use the h4n. Turned out pretty good with the MD46. Would be nice to have a wireless unit though so the camera and interviewer didn't have to be connected. Next purchase I suppose. Do I need the Sennheiser kit or is there a cheaper one that works pretty good?

Jon Fairhurst February 19th, 2012 10:08 PM

Then again, when doing street interviews, a wire ensures that nobody will walk off with your mic and transmitter if you don't remember to ask for it back. I seriously think that everybody I've ever put a transmitter on has shown a moment of surprise when I ask for it back.

The only people who remain aware that they are wearing a wire are snitches and sting operators. ;)

And for live stage shows, a good mixer will mute those who are off stage. A few years ago at a high school play, a young woman dropped the F-bomb in the bathroom, unaware that she was transmitting to the whole audience. Heck, even Gordon Brown can forget he's wired. ;)

Ty Ford February 29th, 2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 1716017)
There are a lot of recorders out there that will work well. It's just that the handheld mini recorders aren't very good candidates. One has to look at the specs when one can find them. For example, the H4n is rated at -42dBm input on its XLR mic connections at its most sensitive. Couple that with the rated output of -52dBm @ 1Pa SPL for the MD46 and you can see there's a big gap, the input just not being sensitive enough for the mic by a full 10 dB. Compare that to the 70 dB of gain offered by the mic inputs of a SD702 recorder. Or compare with one of the old professional mini-disk recorders, the HHB MDP500, designed for radio field use for streeters etc using similar mics to the MD46, whose mic sensitivity is -52dBu for a 0dBFS recording level.

The plugin doesn't increase the gain per se but when you have a wireless hop there are two independent gain chains involved. The first chain is from the mic ending at the transmitter and the second starts at the receiver and ends in the recorder. The Senn butt-plug is designed for dynamic mics and has enough sensitivity for the mic to drive it properly so the the receiver in turn can reach its full output.

Posilutely!

Regards,

Ty Ford