DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   iRiver 780? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/50546-iriver-780-a.html)

Steve Wardale September 5th, 2005 03:35 AM

iRiver 780?

I am interested in portable recording, as alot of people I see are, and having seen many are using the iRiver 790, I've decided that I probably wont need to record a great amount of audio at a time, however I would like it to be of good fidelity when I do. Would anyone reccomend the iRiver 780 instead of the 790, and is there any difference between the two besides USB 2.0 (which I don't have) and half the storage space?

Bill Binder September 5th, 2005 06:04 PM

What are you recording and how do you plan on using the recording? Knowing that will help a lot of people around here help you out uch better...

Steve Wardale September 6th, 2005 01:28 PM

Sorry about that, I am really just interested in having a lavalier mic in my jacket pocket with an mp3 recorder aswell, and synching the sound later with the video. I've always had trouble recording voices for projects, and I've always been interested in wireless mics, but I believe they would be out of my budget (under £100) and it seems an iRiver would be a good low-cost subsitute.I'm not looking for anything amazing, but fairly low hiss and clear voices would really be a must, such as the Giant Squid audio tests posted by Mark A. Foley.

Jan Roovers September 7th, 2005 11:15 AM

iRiver 790 & the Giant Squid Mic

I am very pleased with the combination.

Yesterday I made a small and quick testrecording from a bluesband performing in a pavement of a café outside here at one of the Amsterdam canals.
May be you want to listen to the result:

Soundsample

At the end you will hear some crowd cheering.

What do you think?

Mike Hardcastle September 7th, 2005 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Roovers

Yesterday I made a small and quick testrecording from a bluesband performing in a pavement of a café outside here at one of the Amsterdam canals.

Soundsample

What do you think?

sounds good jan, i've got a couple of these mics of the way for my wedding buisness, looks like I made a good choice.....

Stu Holmes September 7th, 2005 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Roovers

Soundsample

What do you think?

Jan - which version of the Giant Squid mic have you got? mono? stereo ? Omnidirectional or cardioid ?
and can you let me know what bitrate you record at, and what recording time you can get on the iRiver790.

thanks

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 7th, 2005 09:55 PM

The dual omni's/stereo kit is awesome. We recently recorded some impulses for a convolved reverb for a plug in company, and used these in a huge cave, and a 600' deep mineshaft. Sound was incredible. For the price, probably the hardest mic to beat. We had it plugged into a Sony HDMD recorder, recording PCM audio.

Steve Wardale September 8th, 2005 01:08 AM

Jan, that sounds amazing, I will definatly be going with the Giant Squid mics, from what I've heard so far, I am just uncertain whether or not I need the 256mb 790 or if the IFP-880 would do with 128mb. I don't need alot of recording space to be honest, but would like to have at least the same recording quality of the 790 aswell as features. Does anyone know how inferior the 880 is to the 790?

Jan Roovers September 8th, 2005 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
Jan - which version of the Giant Squid mic have you got? mono? stereo ? Omnidirectional or cardioid ?
and can you let me know what bitrate you record at, and what recording time you can get on the iRiver790.

thanks

I used the special iRiver mono omnidirectional mic, a sensitivity of 45 and a bitrate of 160Kbs (for Internet converted to 96kbs)

(The Cardiod mics from Qiant Squid have different specifications.)

The different recording times can be found at: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ghlight=iRiver

Jack Smith September 8th, 2005 08:04 PM

Make sure you read down that thread as the times in the first post are not correct.
Steve the 780 and the 790 give equal quality the only difference is the amount of recording time at any specific setting.If your only buying 1 unit go for at least the 256mb I dont think it is much more.