DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   undecided between the marantz PMD 661 and Roland R-26 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/508498-undecided-between-marantz-pmd-661-roland-r-26-a.html)

Kajito Nagib June 13th, 2012 03:28 PM

undecided between the marantz PMD 661 and Roland R-26

I want to upgrade from a Zoom H4N to a more professional field recorder. At first I considered the Edirol R-44 but after researching different field recorders I decided to go with something less expensive. I find it difficult to read the small led display on both field recorders but the 661 has a meter display for easy reading which for me is a big plus. I'm not sure which of the two has better preamps does anyone know? Has anyone used either device if so what do you think? Thanks!

Rick Reineke June 13th, 2012 04:45 PM

Re: undecided between the marantz PMD 661 and Roland R-26

Despite the 'at least' x2 price difference, Zoom's 4 trk.s ver. (sort of) Marantz 2-tracks and other design differences, IMO, pound for pound, the Marantz is a better recorder.. One may get the Marantz with the custom modified mic pres.. but it still ain't a SD..

Tony Koretz June 13th, 2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib (Post 1738192)
I find it difficult to read the small led display on both field recorders but the 661 has a meter display for easy reading which for me is a big plus. I'm not sure which of the two has better preamps does anyone know? Has anyone used either device if so what do you think? Thanks!

I have a Marantz PMD661. I am pretty happy with it overall. However, you mention the metering. My experience with it in bright sunlight is that you cannot see the main metering lights on the bottom of the recorder at all. In that situation they are pretty much useless, and I find I have to use the metering in the LED display panel instead. You can read that display ok, but setting it that way means you can't also see the recording time or any other display simultaneously. It's either or.
In anything other than bright sunlight however, the normal metering works well.
As for the preamps....they do a pretty good job..... more than adequate...but not quite up on a par with my studio preamps.

Kajito Nagib June 13th, 2012 05:07 PM

thanks guys. so i'll probably get the Roland R-26. looks like it's the best deal for price/performance.

James Kuhn June 13th, 2012 05:25 PM

Kajito...before you make your purchase, do yourself a favor and take a look at Oade Brothers to look at their offerings. I've got one of their modified PMD661.

OADE BROTHERS AUDIO Field Recording Experts, Sony, Tascam, Marantz, Fostex, Compact Flash recorders

Regards,

J.

Tony Koretz June 13th, 2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Koretz (Post 1738214)
it in bright sunlight is that you cannot see the main metering lights on the bottom of the recorder at all. In that situation they are pretty much useless, and I find I have to use the metering in the LED display panel instead. .

Just to clarify my earlier statement...I meant the metering at the bottom of the device was pretty much useless in bright sunlight, not that the whole recorder was useless!

Kajito Nagib June 14th, 2012 10:03 AM

hey Tony thanks that's what i understood. I know a lot of people use the 661. I decided to go with the R-26 cause like i said price/performance ratio and I heard it has the same preamps as the R-44. I'm picking one up today at B&H.

Geoffrey Cox June 16th, 2012 03:53 AM

Did a rough comparison of the R-26 and D-50 you might find interesting:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...50-b-test.html

Geoff

Kajito Nagib June 16th, 2012 09:11 AM

I ended up getting the Roland R-44. except for the small LCD display which is a bit small i'm really loving this field recorder. Geoffrey thanks for the link i'll have a look at it.