DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Boom Pole Recommendation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/512915-boom-pole-recommendation.html)

Sean Seah December 23rd, 2012 11:55 PM

Boom Pole Recommendation

I have metal K tec boom pole which is a little difficult to tighten (always confused which way to tighten!). Could you guys recommend a carbon fibre one with a good locking mechanism?

Thanks!

Gary Nattrass December 24th, 2012 02:17 AM

Re: Boom Pole Recommendation

The Rolls Royce with a price to match is the panamic but personally I use the Gitzo carbon fibre boom poles as I find them very compact and cost effective.

I use the AT 875R mic's a lot so they are perfect for then or hyper cardioid's but a larger mic and blimp may need a more substantial pole.

http://www.prokit.co.uk/index.php?vi..._campaign=feed

and panamic for comparison: http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/22...detachable-tip

Les Wilson December 24th, 2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 1769409)
I have metal K tec boom pole which is a little difficult to tighten (always confused which way to tighten!)....

In the category of learning to use what you have, it's always righty-tighty, lefty loosey. That is, with the handle on the ground, the locking mechanism is loosened by turning it counter clockwise (left) as seen from above. Similarily, turn the locking mechanism clockwise (right) to tighten. It's always relative to the pole section below the locking mechanism.

HINT: Always grab the pole section underneath the locking mechanism and then righty-tighty; lefty-loosey to taste. Start at the bottom of the pole if it was tightley collapsed. Better yet, when collapsing, leave yourself an inch of finger space on each segment.

Rick Reineke December 24th, 2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

I have metal K tec boom pole which is a little difficult to tighten (always confused which way to tighten!)

Perhaps the locking mechanisms in your current "metal K tec boom pole" needs cleaning, are worn out, or broken. Maybe Dave from K-Tek, who frequents this forum can elaborate.

FWIW: If you can't figure out which way to tighten the locking rings, a CF pole isn't going to help,

John Nantz December 24th, 2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1769436)
, it's always righty-tighty, lefty loosey.

Ummm.... for us right-handed types this works but if one is left-handed would the rule change a bit?

Maybe their first inclination is to turn it the other way?

Disclaimer: I don't know if Sean is a lefty or not.

Les Wilson December 24th, 2012 02:55 PM

It doesn't matter if you are lefty or righty. They tighten and loosen the same. Always grab the tube below the locking piece. That's the trick.... use either hand.

Brian P. Reynolds December 24th, 2012 05:52 PM

I have / have access to 6m CF, 4m Al, 3m Al, 2m CF, 1.5m CF of various brands but my VERY favorite pole is a 1.8m Al that I bought on eBay a couple of years ago, It has cam lock adjusting a bit like a SLR tripod. This 5 section pole can be adjusted gently while in use, a flick of the thumb to unlock- slide- relock.... just brilliant (and small enough to fit into a backpack for air travel).
I have no idea who makes them or have ever seen them again.

I've been in Broadcast TV for 30+ years and have NEVER personally had the need for more than 3m of pole and most times less than 2m would suffice. I often look at movie clips with huge poles being used for scenes and wondered why a few well placed radio mics wouldnt do the job better. They are obviously going for sync tracks as I would doubt the dialogue audio would be usable with the mic that far away from the actors.

Ty Ford December 24th, 2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

I have metal K tec boom pole which is a little difficult to tighten (always confused which way to tighten!). Could you guys recommend a carbon fibre one with a good locking mechanism?

Thanks!

I have a 16- foot carbon fiber K-tek. Not difficult to tighten. (Rightie Tightie - Lefty Loosey). I like the 16 fet because if I'm not deploying it fully, the extra section helps me balance it.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Josh Bass December 25th, 2012 05:14 AM

Is that Gitzo linked to earlier internally cabled? It shows one in the screenshot but doesn't specifically say it, and I know some poles you can manually run a cable through if you have the soldering skills.

Gary Nattrass December 25th, 2012 11:22 AM

you can run a cable thru the Gitzo yourself as there are holes at either end and solder the xlr on, I think they also do one with a cable fitted but personally I use mine with external cables!

Allan Black December 26th, 2012 04:39 PM

We've used the CF Gitzo 3560 for some years and recommend it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475913-REG/Gitzo_GB3560_3560_Six_Section_Carbon.html

It'll extend out to 12.9 feet, we've never used it, but the first time we've got no other choice, this rig will have paid for itself.

Me: 'This'll extend out to 12 feet' Client: 'Will that make the sound better? 'Me: 'Yep!'

Also got this holder .. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/277231-REG/BoomMate_BPH_Microphone_Boom_Pole.html but you could make one and a carry case from PVC pipe.

Couple of tips, you need to clean booms after outdoor use in dusty locations, wipe that pesky city microgrit off before you collapse it,
otherwise it can score the carbon fibre.

When you're booming indoors, take a direct eyeline from the mic to a spot on a wall so you can position the mic in the same position to start another take.

Cheers.

Trevor Dennis December 27th, 2012 02:27 AM

I like the idea of the B&H pole holder, although several of the B&H user reviews asked how it could be worth $60. I have seen beach casting fishermen use similar devices as rod rests.

Josh Bass December 27th, 2012 02:44 AM

I would get a $9 fishpole holder from Academy or similar place. Common thing here in Houston. Use it with a C-stand knuckle. I like C stands over smaller/other light stands 'cause they're super sturdy (boom pole can get pretty heavy/unwieldy when fully extended and zeppelin on the end--if you're doing a sit down interview at a corporate office, you don't want your stuff falling over in front of or on someone--especially with how all corporations are super focused on safety these days) and have a relatively small footprint. If you rig it correctly with the pole armed out directly over the longest c stand leg, you can often avoid having to sacrifice a sandbag and still be safe.