DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Latest headphone poll. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/513005-latest-headphone-poll.html)

Allan Black December 28th, 2012 11:07 PM

Latest headphone poll.

Here's the list. I like the 7506 right now and have the ATH-50s, great for post editing and music mixing, thanks to Ty Ford for the nod ...

Five Best Headphones

Cheers.

Ron Cooper December 29th, 2012 01:15 AM

Re: Latest headphone poll.

I use the 7506 mainly because their sound is very good but also have high sensitivity when used with cameras and other low output devices.

I find Most cameras don't have enough output to drive phones loud enough to overcome the ambient sound when videoing, so the closed back design helps as well. I am weary of noise cancelling types as I don't want any artifacts apart from the extra cost.

This is a bit embarrassing for me as I am really not a Sony fan but also an AKG retailer in Sydney !

RonC.

Gary Nattrass December 29th, 2012 03:22 AM

Five best for what purpose?

The Sennheiser HD25 is missing and there is a noise cancelling set on the list so this is more hi-fi based rather than accurate monitoring for video and film making.

I have the sony 7506 too but for serious work the HD25 is by far the best overall, the 280's are good too but the AKG K240 is a heap of junk, we used the version with the mic on as commentary sets during the Olympics and they are big and not very robust, we broke several headbands!

Paul R Johnson December 29th, 2012 05:18 AM

What a strange list of headphones - another vote for the 7506s, which are popular - but I too would probably have the HD25s as the 'best' - but that depends on what exactly your own description of 'best' is?

Frank Glencairn December 29th, 2012 05:38 AM

Here is a hidden treasure for field recording and monitoring: Phillips 'The Stretch'

One of the best sounding pair of cans for that purpose IMHO.
My sound guy and the boom operator first laughed at me, but after a test ride they stopped laughing and got their own pair (they had the "industry standard" Sony 7506 before)

What I really like is not only their sound, but also how rugged they are.
I had them in streaming rain, snow, dust dirt - you name it - without any problem.

Chris Hurd December 29th, 2012 08:19 AM

Gizmodo's list of top five cans might not jive with DVi's list of top five cans.

I bet we can roll our own poll... agree the ATH-50 should be on it.

Shaun Roemich December 29th, 2012 08:23 AM

A set of headphones with the statement "they sound SURPRISINGLY good" on a list of the 5 BEST headphones?

Yeah... I'll stick with DVinfo contributors recommendations any day.

Bill Bruner December 29th, 2012 08:28 AM

There's a reason the Audio Technica ATH-M50s were #3 on the Gizmodo list, but #2 in the poll. Cans this comfortable and flexible are hard to find.

I have a set of these and I use them for field monitoring, listening to music at home and on the exercise bike at the gym. Love these things.

I do wonder why the amazing weren't on the list, though :)

Best of the New Year,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Garrett Low December 29th, 2012 10:24 AM

This is definitely a very strange list. I have both the Sony 7506 and Senn HD 280's. I mostly use the 280's for location work so I didn't want to spend the extra for the 380 even though those do sound better. I knew they would be getting abused on set.

I know the list was from a poll that Gizmodo took so the true "best" in this case is skewed. But if you ever have a chance and want to listen to what is arguably the best sounding headphones ever made, take a listen to the STAX SR-009's. They are not for studio or location recording but for pure listening. And, they are monstrously expensive. $5K for the headphones and you'll need a separate headphone amp to drive them which will put you back another $2K to $5K. But, if you've got the price of admission you will be amazed at how good a pair of headphones can sound and how good imaging can be from two things covering your ears.

Steven Digges December 29th, 2012 01:46 PM

I needed a new set of phones for field monitoring on my video shoots. In the past I have used the Sony 7506’s. I found this review of the Sennheiser HD 280 by DVI member Steve Oakley where he compares the two:

Sennheiser HD280 Headphones Review

I was sold, I picked up the 280’s and so far I am thrilled. I am enjoying the quality sound just rocking them out. I am hoping they stand up to years of abuse in my audio kit and I think they will.

Brian P. Reynolds December 29th, 2012 07:56 PM

I love the HD280's but sometimes they are to good, the sound isolation in a run-gun situation can cause problems as you aren't aware of whats happening around you.

Richard Crowley December 30th, 2012 01:31 AM

Active "noise-cancelling" headphones are completely unacceptable for serious recording monitoring. They intentionally modify what you are hearing so you never really know what you are recording. That Gizmodo list has no relevance to serious recording monitoring.

Gerry Gallegos December 31st, 2012 05:20 PM

X2 on the Phillips 'The Stretch' they are absolutely great. they isolate great and are very very accurate and do not 'hype' the sound in any way.