which way to go with audio and wireless at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 30th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

which way to go with audio and wireless

Hi

My little hobby is fast turning into a small business. I started with a TM900 and a rode video mic pro, Rode lavalier and Zoom H4N recorder. Im just about to purchase a panasonic ac-90

I am trying to improve my workflow so I can capture interviews more professionally indoors and outdoors.

I am not sure whether to purchase the Sennheiser EW 112-p G3 and how that will work in my current setup.

Would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions before i spend again

Thanks
Phil Gadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: which way to go with audio and wireless

"I am not sure whether to purchase the Sennheiser EW 112-p G3 and how that will work in my current setup
- The G2/3 100 series is arguably the best budget wireless system. Many users 'upgrade' to a better mic element... the included works.. but it ain't very good. (ie; pro quality). As with most systems, performance will depend on the users' skills and due diligence of frequency selection. A cheap mic cable would work better in any case.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

What are your thoughts on why you want to go wireless? What problem are you working to solve?
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks Rick

Yeah I already have the rode lavalier mic (plus converter connector for the Sennheiser).. Think I remember seeing a video on the rode lavalier vs the sennheiser so having both will be ok.

I will check out that forum thread for sure.

Hi Chris, last year I filmed a golfing event for an ex footballer, I was very luck to get the job but when filming the interviewee I had to use a long lead down to a Zoom h4n, then press record and walk back to my camera etc... so my thoughts were to somehow either capture the audio (sit the H4N on top of the ac90) and have the wireless sennheiser on me and linked to H4N).. or is there a better way?

Im planning some community projects comming up and I would like to film a little further away but catch quality audio etc
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Major Player

The AC-90 has XLR inputs, right? No need for the H4N in that case. It just complicates things unnecessarily.

Wired mics are always preferred over wireless, so only use wireless when you really need it. Also get more XLR cables, they're relatively inexpensive and I always find that I never have enough.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward

hmm I agree there has always been an argument over wired and wireless (I use a beta 87 radio mic to sing through but the wired beta 87 seems much better..

I really fancy keeping my £500 but how do the real pro's do this efficiently and effectively?
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Major Player

It depends where you are conducting your interviews. If it's a sit-down interview, wired always wins. If the person talking is moving around at all, like if they're giving a tour, or demonstrating a golf swing, then wireless is the only way to go.

If you have a need for a wireless, the Sennheiser G3 is a great value for the money. Lectrosonics is the next logical upgrade from Sennheiser, but that comes with a big bump in price. When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. If you do get a wireless system, just remember to only use it when the wired mic won't do.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I use wired where possible and will go wireless only if you make me. Long XLR cables are cheap and sound better. I have wireless if I need it but there has to be a compelling reason.
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Carlson View Post
It depends where you are conducting your interviews. If it's a sit-down interview, wired always wins. If the person talking is moving around at all, like if they're giving a tour, or demonstrating a golf swing, then wireless is the only way to go.

If you have a need for a wireless, the Sennheiser G3 is a great value for the money. Lectrosonics is the next logical upgrade from Sennheiser, but that comes with a big bump in price. When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. If you do get a wireless system, just remember to only use it when the wired mic won't do.
Super advice, Im actually looking at working with golfers and martial artists at some stage so the wireless will come in very handy.

I guess because I have been using flimsy thin cables (non XLR inputs) its put me off but I will try the lavalier with the XLR connector and plug that into the H4N or directly into the AC90 (if that would work.
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gadd View Post

Hi Chris, last year I filmed a golfing event for an ex footballer, I was very luck to get the job but when filming the interviewee I had to use a long lead down to a Zoom h4n, then press record and walk back to my camera etc... so my thoughts were to somehow either capture the audio (sit the H4N on top of the ac90) and have the wireless sennheiser on me and linked to H4N).. or is there a better way?
Remote control for H4N might be an inexpensive solution:

Zoom — RC4
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I would have no hesitation to suggest the Sennheiser will do you fine - it's a great match to the camera, both performance wise and price wise. The video fraternity have some very odd views of audio, often recommending amazingly expensive audio equipment to go with modestly priced video kit, yet happy to perch an umpteen thousand pound camera on a flimsy bit of aluminium and plastic. They talk about Sennheiser as a budget system. At around £500, it's not budget. In fact, Sennheiser G3 and the similar Shure are the system of choice for professional PA hire companies. The broadcasters have tended to stick with Audio Ltd, Microns and Sony kit. It's good quality kit, having the right facilities for the broadcasters. Sennheiser have a range of kit that can be combined so you can have lav mics, headsets, plug in transmitters and mics you can sing into. You have mains and battery receivers too.

Mic wise - the lav systems come with basic mics. The omni is quite serviceable. Swapping them for MKE-2s or similar from DPA, Countryman and a few others produces slightly nicer sounding audio, but they're pretty expensive. WIth a bit of careful eq, the supplied mic is not a problem at all.

As long as you buy ch38 versions, I'd suggest they're an ideal system to start with - and you can always upgrade the mics IF the supplied ones don't suit your ears.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I would concur with Edward, if your camera has XLR inputs, why complicate the setup. The H4n's preamps probably are not any better than the camera's.. maybe worse.
You could also mount the G3 EK100 receiver on the camera. The EW112 G3 package includes a locking 3.5mm to XLR adapter cable.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
...They talk about Sennheiser as a budget system. At around £500, it's not budget.....
Compared to the other Sennheiser wireless lines or Lectrosonics or Zaxcom the G3 are definitely entry-level, budget systems. Good professional level wireless doesn't come cheap.
Old January 31st, 2013, 01:28 AM   #14
Regular Crew

thanks guys

Paul i have noticed an 'E' or 'GB' on the end of the sennheiser product, I assume one of these means channek 38 compliant?

not sure what MKE-2s are but i will google it now.

Rick, so you would feed directly into the camera?

ps i looked at the rd-04 remote but its restricted with a lead which is a pain
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:42 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gadd View Post
thanks guys

Paul i have noticed an 'E' or 'GB' on the end of the sennheiser product, I assume one of these means channel 38 compliant?

not sure what MKE-2s are but i will google it now.

Rick, so you would feed directly into the camera?

ps i looked at the rd-04 remote but its restricted with a lead which is a pain
The letters denote the frequency windows (in frequency order):- "A", "G" "GB", "B", "C", "D" and "E".

In the USA the ones that are legal are "A", "G", "GB" and "B".

Version "E" is the one with the European licence-free de-regulated frequencies - but with 4G broadband starting up, this narrow 2MHz window of 863-865MHz is all that is legal on this version in Europe.

Version "GB" was made for the UK and incorporates frequencies from both "G" and "B" and alsi the Ch.38 frequencies that come between them. Ch.38 is only legal in teh UK with a licence and must not be used in any other country - but the other frequencies on "GB" are also legal in the USA and Canada.

The MKE-2 is a very high quality Sennheiser tie mic. The version for evolution wireless is MKE 2-ew (these come as standard with G3 500 series and 2000 series).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio