DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Pro Tools alternative? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/51395-pro-tools-alternative.html)

Matt Brabender September 20th, 2005 02:01 AM

Pro Tools alternative?

Hi all
I have a system here that's running Avid Xpress Pro and it needs something on the audio side.
My first choice would be Pro Tools but alas, I've been told not to get anything that requires additional hardware.
I also need something that is as slick and powerful as Avid and Pro Tools as this machine will handle all aspects of audio apart from recording live sound.
For film/video production I have heard Nuendo is the next best thing.
I've used Sound Forge and Audition plenty, but they don't seem to match Pro Tools.

Any suggestions or comments would be great.

Bruce S. Yarock September 20th, 2005 06:55 AM

Before I got seriously into video, I was writing songs, composing,producing, etc(and still am).When I switched to a computer based recording system 9 years ago, I started with Steinberg Cubase. I've stuck with them, and now use Nuendo 2.Both Nuendo and Cubase sx are fantastic programs, and with each new version, they get easier to use. You can't go wrong with either of these, and they work well with video.
Bruce S. Yarock

Bruce S. Yarock September 20th, 2005 06:58 AM

I forgot to mention that Behrringer makes an 8 channel converter( I have two plus a Steinberg) that is inexpensive( $229 at guitar center), sounds great and works with optical cable. All you need is an good card for the pc.
Bruce Yarock

Matt Brabender September 20th, 2005 07:38 AM

Thanks Bruce. Just the advice I needed :)

Laurence Kingston September 20th, 2005 10:37 AM

The new Mackie Tracktion program is my current favourite: inexpensive, simple, yet amazingly versatile. No dongle either. If you're not an experienced musician, Sony's Acid software will let you manipulate loops and sound like you know what you're doing. For many people that is the best option.

Justin Kohli September 20th, 2005 10:40 AM

Mackie Tracktion was also available free. It may or may not be anymore. I know it was bundled with some a particular musician magazine.

Matt Brabender September 20th, 2005 05:19 PM

Thanks guys :)

Matt Brabender September 20th, 2005 11:46 PM

Another quick question ...
What would be the best way to deal with the audio? Piece together everything in avid, then export each complete audio track as a WAV or AAF and import that into something like Nuendo. Mix and tweak and then import the final stereo/surround mix back into avid?

I know with other software you can open an audio file into an audio editor directly from the NLE (like Vegas and Sound Forge or Premiere and Audition).

What's my work around seeing as I'm not running pro tools? What's the best work flow?

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 21st, 2005 12:22 AM

If you've got Vegas 6, you can import the audio as an AAF file, export as same, and match back the audio to its original location on the AVID timeline.Of course, Nuendo does this too, as does Sonar.

Bruce S. Yarock September 21st, 2005 03:10 AM

We create a low quality avi for reference, and import the avi and the original sound file (separately) into Nuendo. At that point, I have the video for reference on the time line, and the original audio on a separate track. I then can create the additional audio tracks, the tweak and master the audio.
The mastered audio gets saved as a wav. file and imprted back into the original project time line in Premiere.
Bruce yarock

Matt Brabender September 21st, 2005 07:23 PM

excellent advice
thanks guys :)

Bruce, the original audio being the file you export from your premiere timeline yes?

I just tried reading about AAF and now my head hurts. Is it just me or is it confusing for others too?