DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sound too low on Beachtek DXA-SLR PRO DSLR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/517864-sound-too-low-beachtek-dxa-slr-pro-dslr.html)

Rafael Lopes July 21st, 2013 09:39 AM

Sound too low on Beachtek DXA-SLR PRO DSLR

Hey guys,

I´ve just gotten a Beachtek DXA-SLR PRO DSLR and I´ve been doing some tests on my Canon 6D and the sound always turns out too low. I´ve tested with AGC on and off, I´ve tested with the Beachteck gain up. I´ve tested setting the camera sound to manual and upping the volume up to 50 and the AGC off on the Beachtek (with the volume on 50 on the beachtek)..
Any tips of advices?

Richard Crowley July 21st, 2013 03:54 PM

Re: Sound too low on Beachtek DXA-SLR PRO DSLR

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 1805506)
I´ve tested setting the camera sound to manual and upping the volume up to 50...

What does "50" mean? Is that 1/2 (50/100)? I would try it at 70~80% of full-scale on the DSLR. Nobody is in a better position than you are to conduct your own experiment with the optimal setting for that particular combination of your DSLR, and that Beachtek. By "optimal" we mean the highest signal-to-noise ratio but with recording levels safely below clipping on peaks.

Al Gardner July 21st, 2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 1805506)
Hey guys,

I´ve just gotten a Beachtek DXA-SLR PRO DSLR and I´ve been doing some tests on my Canon 6D and the sound always turns out too low. I´ve tested with AGC on and off, I´ve tested with the Beachteck gain up. I´ve tested setting the camera sound to manual and upping the volume up to 50 and the AGC off on the Beachtek (with the volume on 50 on the beachtek)..
Any tips of advices?

What exactly are you testing? A microphone?
What kind? Ford, Chevy, what?

Rafael Lopes July 22nd, 2013 03:54 AM

Correct me if I´m wrong but if I turn on the the AGC filtrer neutralizer on the Beachtek this will neutralize all settings on the DSLR, correct? Hence this would allow me to control EVERYTHING via the Beachtek, right? Or do I still have to watch some settings on the Canon 6D? Because even when I set the AGC filter on the Beachteck on, the Gain on, the limiter on, and set the volume control on the beachteck to 100 (turn the knop all the way to the right) I feel the sound is NOT very very loud....it´s louder and it does pick up a bit more environment noise but it´s not LOUD.

Equipment beeing
Beachtek DXA-SLR PRO DSLR
Canon 6D
2 Audiotechnica lavalier phantom powered mics the work perfectly on a Zoom H4N

Brian P. Reynolds July 22nd, 2013 06:02 AM

Jay Massengill July 22nd, 2013 07:37 AM

Hopefully those video reviews above covered what you needed to know, especially in regards to the AGC disabling signal (not needed with the 6D set to manual) and setting the camera's manual audio properly.

I didn't watch them, but I have both the BeachTek and the H4n. The BeachTek definitely has more clean gain than the H4n, so I believe you have a setting wrong in your chain.

You should keep the BeachTek's MONO/STEREO switch set to "S" for stereo if you are using two closely spaced mics like lavs. If set to "M" for mono, any bleed from the mic on the person not speaking will be permanently mixed into the speaking mic's track.

Also make sure your two XLR cables are wired in proper phase.

Rafael Lopes July 23rd, 2013 04:03 PM

I´ve been doing some tests and I´ve been getting better sound.

I´ve been shooting this show that usually takes around 3 hours to shoot. Will two 9V 320mah be enough with 2 phantom power mics at 48v? Isn´t there an AC adapter for this Beachtek?

Jay Massengill July 23rd, 2013 04:34 PM

This BeachTek doesn't have an external power jack. You would have to use something that replaces the single 9v battery's physical connection and supplies enough clean current. I don't know if BeachTek sells such a device specifically for this purpose.

I don't know of any Audio-Technica lav mics that require full 48 volt phantom power. Running them at 12 volts of phantom power will extend your battery life, and the mics will perform the same.

It's hard to say exactly how long the battery will last, because there are a number of factors at play. I probably wouldn't run past 1 hour per battery using two mics until you can test the remaining life after the fact and get a better estimate using your specific equipment.

Rafael Lopes July 23rd, 2013 04:37 PM

Only 1 hour??? Even if I switch to 12v??

Jay Massengill July 23rd, 2013 04:58 PM

I'm sure it would run longer than 1 hour, but you'll have to test to know for sure how much longer is safe for your purposes. BeachTek is very responsive and will tell you how long they advise it will run if you e-mail them. I use mine a lot but rarely for long-form programs. When I used it for a 90 minute show it was being fed from a mixer, so phantom power was off completely.