DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Making a voice over longer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/519566-making-voice-over-longer.html)

Urban Skargren October 19th, 2013 01:31 PM

Making a voice over longer

Hello guys

What is the best way to make a voice over last a little longer in editing? When the person talks just a little too fast and I need to cover a little longer portion of video. I am obviously not referring to inserting pauses between sentences.

David W. Jones October 19th, 2013 01:41 PM

Re: Making a voice over longer

If you have an editing app like ProTools you can use the time compression/expansion function, but it will only get you so far. The best thing to do is recut the VO at the proper pace.

Urban Skargren October 19th, 2013 01:45 PM

Thanks David. Anybody knows similar tools in Soundtrack Pro or Final Cut 10?
I know there is only so much room until you distort the voice.

David W. Jones October 19th, 2013 04:37 PM

Soundtrack Pro has time stretch.

Jonathan Levin October 21st, 2013 12:23 AM

Can you cut between a sentence or statement, add a little "space" between cut. This is where having a minute of two of recording of just the sound of the room by itself comes in handy I've found.

Rick Reineke October 21st, 2013 09:36 AM

"a recording of just the sound of the room by itself"
aka, 'room tone'

Robert Benda October 21st, 2013 10:35 AM

Audacity is a nice, free audio editor.

Lay down a track of room tone behind your voice, then insert tiny fractions of a second in between phrases or words, when possible. This only works as voice over.

OR video editors will allow you to stretch/lengthen the audio and it doesn't take much at all to make a noticeable difference. It certainly shouldn't be enough to distort or change the pitch. A second every minute would be a good start. Also good if you want to show the speaker, at least occasionally.

If the speaker was way to fast, I'd do both methods.

David Dixon October 21st, 2013 12:27 PM

Yes, FCPX will allow a certain amount of stretching too. Just use the slow/fast motion speed tool and drag the handles just as you would with video - it works also on an audio-only clip. You may be able to stretch 5-8% before it starts sounding too artificial.

Allan Black October 21st, 2013 02:23 PM

Sounds like the voice was recorded before the final pix was edited, that's always open to this problem.

So it depends on how long this project is. With a 30sec TV ad, time streching and editing might work, but a 15min doco could easily go awry
and you might not realise it till you've finished it and listened to it right through.

If that's the case, as advised re-record the voice track, you always get a much better reading with proper inflections to fit the picture.

Cheers.

Duane Adam October 22nd, 2013 01:29 PM

I'm not sure I would rely on a software program to do this. Inserting pauses between sentences is exactly what I would do if a retake isn't an option. I usually do that anyway to help the dialogue breath.