DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   A message for all of you (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/520679-message-all-you.html)

Vincent Oliver December 18th, 2013 09:16 AM

A message for all of you

1 Attachment(s)
How many circles do you tick ?

Have a great Christmas and a better New Year

Greg Miller December 18th, 2013 10:44 AM

Re: A message for all of you

Dang! Some of the text is too small to print on the back of my business card.

Vincent Oliver December 18th, 2013 11:10 AM

Greg,

Just click on the thumbnail and it will enlarge.

Greg Miller December 18th, 2013 11:34 AM

Oh yes, I realize that. What I mean is that, if printed in 4 colors, at the size of a business card, the font size will make some of the text too small to read, or even to print clearly.

It's a good Venn diagram, though. Well done!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver
Hearing a hundred times is not as good as seeing once

That rather seems to deprecate the purpose of an audio forum. And it's certainly not true in the case of music!

Richard Crowley December 19th, 2013 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Miller (Post 1824868)
Hearing a hundred times is not as good as seeing once

That rather seems to deprecate the purpose of an audio forum. And it's certainly not true in the case of music!

Agree 100%. Audio-only communication/entertainment (radio) has been with us for nearly 100 years.

OTOH video-only entertainment (silent movies) has not been accepted by audiences for nearly 100 years.

Vincent Oliver December 19th, 2013 03:08 AM

The quote comes from my post, and yes I agree it is inappropriate for this audio forum, but I do post on several other forums here on DV info where it is appropriate. I can take my knuckles being wrapped on this forum - so sorry, but the quote stays.

Have a great and noise free Christmas

Brian Drysdale December 19th, 2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Crowley (Post 1824963)
OTOH video-only entertainment (silent movies) has not been accepted by audiences for nearly 100 years.

Today, you tend to find that these are high end commercials, movies were never silent, they always ran with musical accomplishment. It was a good source of employment for musicians before the talkies.

Vincent Oliver December 19th, 2013 04:32 AM

"The Artist" - breaks the 100 year rule

Colin McDonald December 19th, 2013 06:26 AM

Is mine the only household in the world where the TV is sometimes watched with the sound muted?
Hitchcock films still work (but maybe that's because we've watched them so often before).
:-)

Derek Heeps December 19th, 2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Crowley (Post 1824963)
Agree 100%. Audio-only communication/entertainment (radio) has been with us for nearly 100 years.

On the other hand , Powerpoint presentations sans sound are foisted on audiences daily all over the world .

Derek Heeps December 19th, 2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1824999)
Is mine the only household in the world where the TV is sometimes watched with the sound muted?
Hitchcock films still work (but maybe that's because we've watched them so often before).
:-)

Nope , I regularly have something on TV with no sound and music playing on my hi-fi at the same time :)

Darren Levine December 19th, 2013 10:19 AM

love it. did you create this?

Vincent Oliver December 19th, 2013 10:46 AM

Unfortunately I didn't, it was posted on my Home page through Facebook.

Richard Crowley December 19th, 2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Heeps (Post 1825008)
On the other hand , Powerpoint presentations sans sound are foisted on audiences daily all over the world .

1) "Foisted" being the operative word here. Have you EVER heard someone say "Hey, Reggie is presenting his new PowerPoint over in conference room 307, lets go see it!"
2) Likely 99.3% of all PowerPoint presentations are accompanied by a live commentary from the presenter, droning though it may be.
3) How many of those PowerPoint audiences do you think would leave if they could get away with it. I'm sure most of them could find something more entertaining or productive with that 20 minutes out of their lifespan.

Greg Miller December 19th, 2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Crowley (Post 1825035)
How many of those PowerPoint audiences do you think would leave if they could get away with it. I'm sure most of them could find something more entertaining or productive with that 20 minutes out of their lifespan.

That would probably be true of the same presenter, with or without PowerPoint. Contrary to what some presenters think, PowerPoint does not make a boring presentation less boring.

Actually I think the quote is an over-generalization. It depends on the medium: a painting doesn't need music; music doesn't need visuals. Would you rather watch a symphony with the sound muted, or listen to a mime with the video turned off?

However, movies and video are the culmination of a progression: oral tradition (and music), written word (and music), drama (or music, or both combined). And so it seems to me that most writers continue to create scripts with a strong verbal component; therefore the hearing of the script is usually more important than the visual elements. (Of course I still read books, so my views may not be representative of the younger generation.)