DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Wireless XLR transmitted/reciever (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/521109-wireless-xlr-transmitted-reciever.html)

Ralph Adaimy January 16th, 2014 11:13 AM

Wireless XLR transmitted/reciever

Hello,

I need a mechanism for recording music out of a mixer into a camera( xlr) without having to attach cables
. I mainly shoot weddings and things can get annoying in wedding receptions if we have to attach cables to handheld cams.

Any advice about what to use and good brands for wireless transmitters/receivers? Any price range I should take into consideration?

Thanks a mill!

Rick Reineke January 16th, 2014 11:22 AM

Re: Wireless XLR transmitted/reciever

Read this thread:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...uld-I-get-quot

Derek Heeps January 16th, 2014 03:25 PM

The Sennheiser Evolution Series wireless mics have line input as well as mic input on the bodypacks . You just need to make up a line input cable and plug it into the transmitter instead of the tieclip mic . The receiver mounts to the camera in the usual way .

While these units are moderately expensive new , used ones can be picked up for very reasonable prices .

Frank Grygier January 16th, 2014 04:56 PM

I am using the WI Audio Stream product to send audio wireless from Zoom H6 to GH3 and Blackmagic Camera. Works great!
http://www.widigitalsystems.com/JM_AudioStream_info.php

Graham Bernard January 17th, 2014 02:19 AM

I've used the:

Mixer >> Senni TX >> Senni RX >> XF300

Many times - it just works!

OK.... Make sure that there aren't any buffoons around your TX and that you attach the TX very well to a HIGH place and line of sight to your RX - I mean it. Oh yeah! Make sure that you can do a dry run WITH all the other TXs out there to confirm fidelity.

Option 2 - Hard wire ( actually this WOULD always be my Option 1)

Option 3 - Record to a secreted "other" device.

Grazie

Ralph Adaimy January 18th, 2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1828091)

Thanks Rick. This looks very useful, but it goes down to what you pay as expected. Looks like I need to invest with something around 1000$ to have a decent reliable system.

Cheers!

Ralph Adaimy January 18th, 2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 1828172)
I've used the:

Mixer >> Senni TX >> Senni RX >> XF300

Many times - it just works!

OK.... Make sure that there aren't any buffoons around your TX and that you attach the TX very well to a HIGH place and line of sight to your RX - I mean it. Oh yeah! Make sure that you can do a dry run WITH all the other TXs out there to confirm fidelity.

Option 2 - Hard wire ( actually this WOULD always be my Option 1)

Option 3 - Record to a secreted "other" device.

Grazie

Thanks Graham. Although need to note that I cant guarantee the TX and RX are at an aligned line of sight. We don't usually have an idea of where the audio source is before we get to the venue, and sometime they can be in closed indoor rooms next to the venue!

Roger Van Duyn January 18th, 2014 08:11 AM

I have better results if I use the transmitter that attaches to a hand held microphone (some people have called it a butt plug) than with a body pack transmitter when attaching to my mixer. The XLR plug on the hand held transmitter plugs into the back of the mixer without need of a cable. The little cables on many body pack transmitters aren't shielded, and are more problematic. IIRC, the transmitter for the hand held microphone screw in locking mechanism works on my mixer the same way it locks when attaching a microphone.

Several times I have used this setup to transmit audio from the booth in a large indoor arena to my camera more than 50 yards away in a large arena. Of course, since I was WAY up top just as high as the booth, there was nothing to block line of site transmission.

Ralph Adaimy January 18th, 2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Grygier (Post 1828116)
I am using the WI Audio Stream product to send audio wireless from Zoom H6 to GH3 and Blackmagic Camera. Works great!
Wi Digital Systems

Hi Frannk,

I'm very interested in the Wi Audio Stream, but I have one concern: Have you tried transmitting from a DJ's Deck and receiving on an XLR Device (Sony Z5u Cam or Sony NX5u Cam)?

Please let me know if you've experienced such conditions, and whether the audio quality is affected by obstacles between the transmitter and the receiver.

Cheers!

Rick Reineke January 18th, 2014 11:11 AM

I've never worked with the Wi Audio Stream, but I'm skeptical at that low price. I occasionally rent Zaxcom stereo camera hops and they are very expensive... and still requires due diligence in set-up/frequency selection to obtain (almost) trouble-free operation.

Richard Crowley January 18th, 2014 11:44 AM

IMHO, you are FAR better off (both performance quality AND cost/benefit) using a small inexpensive digital recorder to capture the DJ mix. Use the audio channels on the camera(s) to record the AMBIENT sounds.

Steven Digges January 18th, 2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Van Duyn (Post 1828303)
I have better results if I use the transmitter that attaches to a hand held microphone (some people have called it a butt plug) than with a body pack transmitter when attaching to my mixer. The XLR plug on the hand held transmitter plugs into the back of the mixer without need of a cable. The little cables on many body pack transmitters aren't shielded, and are more problematic. IIRC, the transmitter for the hand held microphone screw in locking mechanism works on my mixer the same way it locks when attaching a microphone.

Several times I have used this setup to transmit audio from the booth in a large indoor arena to my camera more than 50 yards away in a large arena. Of course, since I was WAY up top just as high as the booth, there was nothing to block line of site transmission.

Roger, Heads up, you might be flying without an antenna. My Sennheiser mics are the original EW100 system before those mics started getting a G designation too, so YMMV. My hand held plug in transmitter is designed to turn the metal body of an attached microphone into the antenna for the transmitter. For that reason, I do not use it for anything other than a mic transmitter. And usually for EFP work so the distance is close anyway.

Much of my work these days takes place in the corporate convention arena. Often, I am responsible for overseeing the video recording and all other audio visual aspects of my clients program. One thing I can tell you guys for sure is that transmitted microphone signals have a "scary factor to it" ;). What I am referring to is the fact that a mic with a weak link in it may perform well during initial testing. The week link will be there ticking like a time bomb and go off later when your live. Mic drop out is painful and gets me fired. Not the audio guy. I work for my clients, not him. So I am kicked down the road. For that reason we go to great lengths to make sure it does not happen (like using paddle array antennas, signal level tests, etc). Because I like to work!

Ralph, If I understood one of your comments correctly you said something about using the mic to record from a separate room? One word: Don't! You are asking for a disaster to occur.

Steve

Paul R Johnson January 18th, 2014 02:36 PM

You mentioned the 'R' word - reliability. If you want reliability use a cable or a recorder. Radio links at the Sennheiser price point are not inferior to more expensive ones, and they all can suffer from signal related problems - doesn't matter if it's digital or analogue. Some have better receive systems that can cope with the paths dropping out, but this is available in the G3 - but if you want guaranteed signal paths, radio is not the best option, at any price.

Roger Van Duyn January 18th, 2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Digges (Post 1828337)
Roger, Heads up, you might be flying without an antenna. My Sennheiser mics are the original EW100 system before those mics started getting a G designation too, so YMMV. My hand held plug in transmitter is designed to turn the metal body of an attached microphone into the antenna for the transmitter. For that reason, I do not use it for anything other than a mic transmitter. And usually for EFP work so the distance is close anyway.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I also had a recorder plugged into another output. Redundancy has saved the job many times. I normally "run a cable whenever able" but didn't have fifty yards of cable to run under all those stadium seats. It was a mild surprise that it worked. I fully expected to need the audio from my recorder, but there has nary a dropout so far using the transmitter setup in that venue. Other places, not so lucky.

Steven Digges January 18th, 2014 06:11 PM

Wired mics are nice when you can use them. We use them on interviews and small video sets.

The corporate presentation world revolves around wireless systems. It is not unusual for us to run 10 - 20 wireless units at a time for some shows. Hopefully not all of them are hot at the same time, but it happens. I am a TD, NOT an A-1. My fundamental audio skills are good, but you will never see me standing behind the board when it gets that intense. It does not matter if there is one wireless mic or twenty. There is always a wired podium mic ready for emergency use.

Did someone say backup? I am a big time backup guy. Especially when it comes to the audio portion of recording video.

Steve

Frank Grygier January 20th, 2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Adaimy (Post 1828304)
Hi Frannk,

I'm very interested in the Wi Audio Stream, but I have one concern: Have you tried transmitting from a DJ's Deck and receiving on an XLR Device (Sony Z5u Cam or Sony NX5u Cam)?

Please let me know if you've experienced such conditions, and whether the audio quality is affected by obstacles between the transmitter and the receiver.

Cheers!

I am using the Wi AudioStream to send a scratch audio track from the Zoom H6 to a GH3 or Blackmagick Pocket Camera for dual system sound. I am relying on the Zoom as the primary recording device.The output jack on the Wi AudioStream includes an adapter cable that converts 3.5mm to XLR. It works well with the XLR input on the Zoom H6.

Jay Massengill May 22nd, 2014 09:26 PM

I recently purchased one of the Wi Digital JM-WAL35 Audio Link systems for a yearly project involving my largest internal customer, that takes place in a large local theater.

Preliminary testing indicates it works very well within its range. It turned out I didn't actually use it for the large-scale meeting because the orchestra pit was covered instead of open and this allowed an out of the way place to run and leave cables that wouldn't have to be set up, taped down, then taken back up several times over 3 days due to double-booking of the facility. So I can't report on the results when the theater was full of 400 people all armed with cellphones and my wireless mics were operating, but testing with the theater empty showed no problems over 35 feet (and blocked by the 1920's era proscenium arch).

However, I can envision lots of uses for this wireless set so the $189 wasn't wasted.
In no particular order, I think it will be great for:
Monitoring the audio from a remotely placed audio recorder or camera.
Monitoring the audio from my main tripod-mounted camera so I can take more steps away while using the wireless boom mic.
Allowing your independent boom-op to monitor their sound wirelessly.
Sending a wireless signal to or from a stabilizer mounted camera.
Sending a wireless high-quality line-level stereo signal from any device with an unbalanced line-level or headphone output, to anything or anyone else that needs to receive the signal. If your recorder only has mic-level inputs, then an attenuated cable or a DI box will allow this too.
I don't have the need for wireless guitar or keyboard transmission, but that is one of its primary intended uses.

The input is specified to take up to 3Vrms. The output easily drives small headphones or earbuds quite loudly.

I tested the latency by simultaneously sending a two-channel signal via a hard wired connection to one channel of an audio recorder and the other channel via the Wi. I then imported the audio file to Vegas and measured the delay in the slate clap between the two channels. It was .026 seconds, which is about equal to 3/4 of one 29.97 frame of video.

The devices will work through walls, but that greatly reduces the range. Still, I was able to walk about 40 feet down the hall while the transmitter sat on my desk playing music from my iPhone. The signal was passing through 3 modern office building walls and wouldn't break up until I rotated my body into the path as well.

It's nice that the transmitter and receiver communicate back and forth with each other. This allows muting/un-muting and volume up or down to be accomplished from either device. Very handy when you are 75 or 80 feet away!

I will add more info when I get the chance for real world large live meeting testing.