DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sony PCM D50: Repair or replace (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/521265-sony-pcm-d50-repair-replace.html)

Fran Guidry February 2nd, 2014 02:36 AM

Re: Sony PCM D50: Repair or replace

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Andrada (Post 1830090)
96k IS better than 44.1. No Fantasy at all.

The question is whether ones ears are good enough to hear the betterness!

Actually the first question is whether someone can demonstrate the ability to differentiate them in double blind comparison to a statistically significant degree.

Please give me a reference to such a demonstration.

With all respect, I can easily find people who will attest to an audible improvement by using little pyramids to keep speaker wires suspended above the floor.

Fran

Vincent Oliver February 2nd, 2014 05:10 AM

"With all respect, I can easily find people who will attest to an audible improvement by using little pyramids to keep speaker wires suspended above the floor. "

You hit the nail on the head Fran, I remember a friend telling me to put a square of silver foil between the tweeter and midrange speakers, "it would improve the high notes" I could never tell the difference or see why that should work. My wife tells me that there are many people who enjoy "tinkering" with settings and equipment, which is also a valid point, I guess each person will find something that gives them pleasure and who am I to question that.

Rick Reineke February 3rd, 2014 01:31 PM

Yes, like putting a blue ink stripe around a CD would improve the quality. Many, many instances of 'snake oil' audio products.. most of which cost exhortation amounts of $$.

Greg Miller February 3rd, 2014 04:10 PM

People have no idea what they're buying. Consider all the 2-way computer speaker systems that have a pair of main speakers and one "subwoofer." I always thought that you needed a woofer first, then the subwoofer covered frequencies below that. But nobody seems to question having a "sub" without first having a woofer.

Better yet, just put some powerful-sounding word in front of the product, like "Monster," and it will make everything sound 4.37dB better... IMHO of course. ;-)

Stephen Brenner April 25th, 2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jase Tanner (Post 1829644)
@ John. I have no doubt there'd be no contest but for the price. If it had XLRs I'd consider it. Not that the D50 either, that was its one significant shortcoming. Have you tried the unit? I don't believe its available here just yet.

I bought the Denecke PS-1A XLR power supply to feed xlr mics into my Sony PCM-D50.