DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Tascam Dr-701D - Battery level display (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/532782-tascam-dr-701d-battery-level-display.html)

Reed Gidez September 26th, 2016 09:53 PM

Tascam Dr-701D - Battery level display

Im hoping someone with some experience with this unit can tell me if I have a bad copy or if behavior is normal.

Recorder is set to use Alkaline cells. I put 4 brand new fresh Duracells in and power on. Battery level reads at only 50%. Is this normal? I can't even get a full level when using an external USB power bank as a power supply.

I realize battery life is less than ideal but this seems crazy.

Thanks in advance.

Reed

Rick Reineke September 27th, 2016 11:27 AM

Re: Tascam Dr-701D - Battery level display

I don't know about the 701, but I've not read of this before nor were there any other Tascams with the problem. I'd try another NEW (tested) set of batteries. A new alkaline AA cell (unloaded) should measure a little above 1.5 V (if you only have a mutimeter). If the recorder's meter still reads low, I'd surmise it is defective... Exchange or warranty repair

Gary Nattrass September 27th, 2016 01:15 PM

It may be that the meters are calibrated for the latest lithium batteries as they can show up to 1.8 v ?

Reed Gidez September 27th, 2016 04:28 PM

Yesterday I had a chance to use the 701D on a shoot and loaded in a fresh set of AA cells. I also plugged in a 6000mAh USB power bank (the kind you can charge cell phones with) and the meter never read more than 50%. I suspect a bad unit and it will be going back to Amazon.

Gary and Rick, thanks for the input.

BTW, I did like the way my GH4 triggered the Tascam to record when shutter release was pressed and the sound was fairly clean.

Jay Massengill September 27th, 2016 05:31 PM

The GH4 is on the list of cameras supporting HDMI timecode with this recorder in addition to the Start/Stop triggering.

Have you had a chance to see if the recorded files sync up automatically in your editing software?

In looking around, some vendors are also offering an iZotope plug-in pack download with this recorder.
That could be a nice bonus if you don't already have that software.

Reed Gidez October 22nd, 2016 08:41 AM

Re: Tascam Dr-701D - Battery level display **UPDATE**

Although Tascam never replied to my emailed question on this, I did notice they just released a firmware update to correct the issue. It can be found here Product: DR-701D | TASCAM

And to answer Jay's question about sync, yes, it works very nicely.

Greg Miller October 25th, 2016 06:05 AM

This does not exactly address your DR-701d question, but may be somewhat related.

I have a DR-40, which I use fairly often. I use it with relatively new Eneloop cells. Before use, I charge the cells in a LaCrosse BC-900 charger (which is sadly discontinued). Voltage of the cells, at the time they come out of the charger, is usually between 1.35 to 1.40 volts. The charger indicates they have roughly 1800 - 2000 mAh capacity.

When I first turn on the DR-40, it indicates "3 bars" of battery time. (Yes, I have it set correctly to the NiMH mode.) After about 30 minutes or so, the display drops to "2 bars" of battery time. Of course the first time this happened, I was seriously worried that the power would be depleted before the end of the [live] recording session. But I have found, repeatedly, that the display remains at "2 bars" for the duration of sessions that are typically two hours or more.

What I conclude from this is that the DR-40 battery meter is a bit "pessimistic." Perhaps someone at Tascam, who determines these things, likes Tascam's meters to give a warning before one is really needed ... who knows? Anyway, I offer this observation for what it's worth, if it has any bearing on your interpretation of the situation with your DR-701d.

Rick Reineke October 25th, 2016 10:05 AM

"the DR-4 indicates "3 bars" of battery time. (Yes, I have it set correctly to the NiMH mode.) After about 30 minutes or so, the display drops to "2 bars" of battery time"
- That's typical of gear running on rechargeables, like for instance the G2/3 which does not even have the NiMH battery setting. One has to know about how long a device will run. My G3's will run 12+ hrs w/ 2500mAh Eneloops, but 'usually' change them at the lunch break.

Ignacio Rodriguez November 7th, 2016 09:05 PM

I had a DR70D and now I have the DR701D and they both exhibited battery level indicator weirdness. Moreover, other users of the DR70D experienced exactly the same issue, many of us wrote and Tascam never replied or fixed it. I did notice the DR701D is somewhat better in this regard, has three battery type settings, but I gave up on using AAs anyway and prefer an external USB battery pack, with the internals as backup.

For what these recorders do for the price, it would still be a bargain if the AAs didn't work at all. The sound of the DR701D is really quite acceptable, and I absolutely love the HDMI sync. If it could also record what's coming in from HDMI in the extra "mix" channels it would be perfect.