DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   XLR adapter for camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/533575-xlr-adapter-camera.html)

Marcello Mazzilli February 13th, 2017 06:54 AM

XLR adapter for camera

Hi,
I am looking for an XLR adapter for my Canon XC10.
I tried the Saramonic MixMic and I had to return it.. Rubbish. You get all strange noises and at some point Phantom power stopped working.
I see there are many adapters that go under the camera. I really prefer the upper hot shoe solution.. like Canon, Panasonic or Sony solutions (these are proprietary unfortunately).
Anthing to sugest?
Thanks

Gareth Watkins February 13th, 2017 07:13 AM

Re: XLR adapter for camera

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli (Post 1927674)
Hi,
I am looking for an XLR adapter for my Canon XC10.
I tried the Saramonic MixMic and I had to return it.. Rubbish. You get all strange noises and at some point Phantom power stopped working.
I see there are many adapters that go under the camera. I really prefer the upper hot shoe solution.. like Canon, Panasonic or Sony solutions (these are proprietary unfortunately).
Anthing to sugest?
Thanks

Hi there
When I was shooting on DSLR's I used a JuicedLink RM222. It is larger than teh unit you returned but can be attached via hot shoe or tripod mount. It gives a nice clean signal, has phantom power and is pretty robust.
Cheers
Gareth

Jay Massengill February 13th, 2017 07:26 AM

I assume you need 2 XLR inputs? There are some smaller single XLR devices, but let us know if you need 2 versus 1.

Marcello Mazzilli February 13th, 2017 07:35 AM

Thanks Gareth.... Seems solid but quite big and bulky, specially if mounted on hotshoe. I don't think this is what I am looking for

Hi Jay. Yes. I would like 2x XLR with phantom power / mic / line like ones that can be found on broadcast cameras. The Saramonic (on paper) was perfect but.. it's rubbish.
I found this. Do you know it? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_adapter.html
Anything smaller?

Chris Harding February 13th, 2017 08:03 AM

I have the Saramonic SR-AX107 and it sits between the tripod and camera ..works perfectly and done hundreds of weddings with it. Cannot fault it over the last 2 years ... Beachtek are nice too but double the price! the 107 has two channels with gain control and hi lo switches ..mic or line on each channel plus peaking on each channel. Record back output plus a monitor output too and a headphone amp. My model also has an AGC defeat mode and it can get confusing if you need to use it ...."ON" means allow the camera AGC to work and "OFF" means defeat the AGC ... Mine has had no issues with Phantom power either!! 12v or 48v ....It is the adapter only without a mic which suits me as my wireless transmitters feed each channel!

Marcello Mazzilli February 13th, 2017 08:08 AM

I prefer realy a hotshoe mount, light. The design should be like standard ones.. for example.. like what comes with the XC15 (identical to my camera, just with audio.. but I can't mount it on mine). Small, hotshoe, ....possibiy black :)

Gareth Watkins February 13th, 2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli (Post 1927679)
Thanks Gareth.... Seems solid but quite big and bulky, specially if mounted on hotshoe. I don't think this is what I am looking for

I looked at a lot of units too when I was in the market for such a unit. There are several sizes and versions the Riggy Micro is pretty small.. I had no problem using it with a 5D3.
Not sure you'll find much with 2 xlr's and phantom power that is smaller and has good quality preamps. Teh Juiced link has excellent preamps.

cheers
Gareth

Donald McPherson February 13th, 2017 11:16 AM

Not sure if you still get them. But the "i rig pre" with a slight mod gave excellent results.

Jay Massengill February 13th, 2017 12:54 PM

The single-XLR iRig pre is still available. I'm trying to get one but haven't done it yet.

It would need an output adapter to go from TRRS mobile device to TRS unbalanced stereo mini for a dSLR style camera or audio recorder. Those are readily available in both straight and right-angle versions of a few inches length.

Was there ever a two-XLR version of it?

The iRig uses a 9volt battery, has switchable phantom power and is not very large but you'd have to rig up a mount.

I spotted one hanging by an XLR cable off a podium in a news conference video feeding a tablet sitting on the floor.

Fran Guidry February 13th, 2017 01:56 PM

IK Multimedia | iRig Pro DUO

This has two XLR ins and a 3.5mm out.

Fran

Marco Leavitt February 21st, 2017 09:48 PM

The Tascam DR-70D is a nice unit. I had the older model and the only problem with it was it ate batteries like a demon. The new ones are lower profile and supposedly have better battery life, but you could always power it with an external battery if you needed to. Having a backup audio recording is a great feature, as are the extra tracks.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...recording.html

Steven Davis February 22nd, 2017 06:39 PM

I have an older version of this, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Camcorder.html

When I was using it, it worked well for what I needed.

Marcello Mazzilli March 1st, 2017 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fran Guidry (Post 1927708)
IK Multimedia | iRig Pro DUO

This has two XLR ins and a 3.5mm out.

Fran

I had missed your msg.. seems interesting.. and it's Italian like myself

Dave Fisk March 8th, 2017 09:37 AM

For this type of thing I'm a huge fan of the Sound Devices MixPre-D. You could mount it on the shoe of your camera, but I'd not recommend doing that. I'm not a fan of mounting much of anything in the shoe of the camera other than something really really small and lightweight that doesn't have stuff plugged into it. You're going to put a lot of stress on that shoe if you do. Plus, stuff just gets in the way when it's up there and you have cables plugged in unless you mount the camera in something like a K-Tek Norbert frame, which is really solid and designed for mounting stuff all around your camera.

I've used the MixPre-D a ton mounted underneath a DSLR and loved it. I run audio to the camera, but that's just my scratch track. I'll take the main outputs and run those to a real recorder and do double system, but it all depends on your budget, but for sure this device is not something to skimp on. You paid a good amount for the visual side of things. Audio budget deserves some love as well.

Marcello Mazzilli March 8th, 2017 11:07 AM

Thanks.
I have a Tascam dr40 for separate recording but i want to build a lighy setup for my b-camera. Cam has (in my opinion) good preamps and line input selection. Now I have a Sennheiser mke400 (i select mic) for ambient or (not and) a sennheiser radio mic (i select in line),,. Would be nice to have thr teo at the same time