DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Lectrosonic PDR person reviews (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/534681-lectrosonic-pdr-person-reviews.html)

Paul Cronin September 19th, 2017 07:02 AM

Lectrosonic PDR person reviews

Hi,
I use Lectrosonic, having owned the SR and two SMQV's, and now the LT and LR which I like better. All are used with Sanken COS 11d.

At times a recorder would be nice to use on some of my jobs. Would like to know if anyone has first hand experience, in the field with the PDR?

Rick Reineke September 19th, 2017 11:47 AM

Re: Lectrosonic PDR person reviews

I've used the Zaxcom transmitter/ recorder a few times, it is nice. The drawback with Lectro's PDR is, it's just a recorder, so remote monitoring is an issue. I'm sure it's a great product though and based on Lectro's rep, I would not need to question quality/reliability. Maybe query this over at the JW Sound group, I'm sure some of my movie sound colleagues there have used it.

Paul Cronin September 19th, 2017 12:34 PM

Thanks Rick,

I will go and check out JW Sound Group input. I have been there before and received great input.

Chris Hurd September 19th, 2017 09:13 PM

Paul, I can get one for you to check out if you're willing to write up a review for the site.

If you're interested, shoot me an email with your shipping address.

chris at dvinfo dot net

Paul Cronin September 20th, 2017 05:17 AM

Thanks Chris,

Email sent

David Peterson September 27th, 2017 08:00 AM

For any one who is looking at the Lectro PDR but finds it to be waaaaaay too expensive, then check out the Tascam DR10L instead!

Same concept (actually, the DR10L has been around longer than the PDR!).

Paul Cronin September 27th, 2017 08:07 AM

Dave, I have looked at the Tascam DR10L but a few of the reviews knock it down. Also I do not know how good the mic is with the recorder. But then again for that price, one can be purchased and if it is bad well not a lot lost.

From my experience Lectrosonic has never failed me in 15 years. Yes, cost more but I can use my Saken COS 11d mic.

Nice there are options.

David Peterson October 3rd, 2017 07:12 AM

You can use a Sanken COS-11D with the Tascam DR10L as well.

But yes, for sure if you can afford it then get the Lectrosonics PDR instead, the TC capability alone makes it worth it!

Paul Cronin October 3rd, 2017 01:25 PM

Hi David,

Yes, I could use the Sanken with the DR10L but the mic is wired for Lectrosonic. Also I agree TC is a huge asset for me.

Rick Reineke October 4th, 2017 09:43 AM

"Yes, I could use the Sanken with the DR10L but the mic is wired for Lectrosonic"
- A TA-5 to locking 3.5mm adapter is cheap and easy to make (if you have soldering skills), otherwise, affordable adapters are available from the usual suspect shops.

Paul Cronin October 6th, 2017 07:04 AM

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the thought and I have used those adapters in the past, but not with great results.

Jim Feeley October 10th, 2017 11:55 PM

Maybe consider one of the new Lectro wideband SM transmitters with built-in recorders (alas, you can't both transmit and record at the same time...I guess because of the Zaxcom patent...you have to switch from one mode to the other). And it looks like recording might be at 44.1k, a bit of a bummer if you're rolling with a 48K audio workflow.

Still interesting... transmits over three "lectro blocks" of frequencies (like their LT transmitters), all the SM transmitter goodness, and the potentially handy built-in recording:
SMDWB

SMWB

Paul Cronin October 11th, 2017 05:28 AM

Interesting unit Jim,

But not for me.

Chris Hurd December 22nd, 2017 07:41 AM

Paul's review of the PDR is now published on the site:

Review: Lectrosonics PDR by Paul Cronin at DV Info Net

Thanks again Paul for taking the time and effort to do this.

Paul Cronin December 22nd, 2017 09:11 AM

You are welcome Chris,

It was fun to do and Chris is so easy to work with, as was Karl from Lectrosonic.

I gave the unit a good run and loved it so much I have since purchased one. Great addition to my audio kit and will be used often.

Bernie Beaudry December 28th, 2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1939722)
You are welcome Chris,

It was fun to do and Chris is so easy to work with, as was Karl from Lectrosonic.

I gave the unit a good run and loved it so much I have since purchased one. Great addition to my audio kit and will be used often.

I own four of the LT/LR units and I love them. I'm looking at year end purchases and I'm considering purchasing two of the PDRs. The basic package doesn't include the 1/8 inch to TA5 cable for feeding the output of the PDR into the tx does it? Did you get the Lectrosonic one or did you make your own?
Thanks!
Bernie

Paul Cronin December 28th, 2017 02:32 PM

Hi Bernie,

The LT/LR is a fantastic unit. And the PDR fits right in the same lineup well. I will be buying a second one this year for an upcoming project.

For the 1/8" to TA5 cable I go to Professional Sound Services. Great service shop with all the parts needed. Pro-Sound.com

Do you use double LT/LR on one camera or are you running four cameras?

Bernie Beaudry December 28th, 2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1939902)
Hi Bernie,

The LT/LR is a fantastic unit. And the PDR fits right in the same lineup well. I will be buying a second one this year for an upcoming project.

For the 1/8" to TA5 cable I go to Professional Sound Services. Great service shop with all the parts needed. Pro-Sound.com

Do you use double LT/LR on one camera or are you running four cameras?

I'm a location sound person so I have four rx in a bag with a Zaxcom Nomad ten recorder/mixer.

Paul Cronin December 28th, 2017 03:19 PM

Nice that is a full bag. And glad to hear the LR/LT stands up to your standards. I think you will like the PDR.

Paul Cronin December 30th, 2017 10:52 AM

Here is a short update on the app for the Lectrosonic PDR.

Today I tested the New Endian - Apps for an evolving world of media production, for the Lectrosonic PDR, Lectrosonic does not build this app. Included in the PDR package is a brochure to let you know about the app, with a link to the site for downloading.

After downloading the app go to AUD, with the PDR on. Place it close to the mic and touch ARM then the main screen. This sends out an audible signal to the PDR. Then you can go to REC and set Record, and then touch the main screen to send out the signal. This will start recording. Once done recording touch Stop and then the main screen for the signal again. This should stop recording and then save the file.

I found you have to do this process for each record.

There is also a LOC function that locks the setting.

Trying about 20 times in quite and noisy enviorment it worked well at three feet or less. Which to me is not very useful, since I would just grab the recorder and have more control. There is nothing on the app screen that tells you if it is recording, another reason I like to have the recorder in my hand.

Maybe this will improve with some updates, but for now it is not very useful for me. More on Timecode sync soon, and if I find any changes in the app.

Paul Cronin February 6th, 2018 12:20 PM

Checking back now that I have used this on two jobs.

One job I had my Lectro LR/LT on the FS7 and we were filming while my B-Cam (Z150) was outside getting a clip at the same time for the third talent about to come in. So I put the PDR on the third and recorded them watching/talking about the talent inside and then they walked in. Worked perfect. I guess I could have done this with three wireless, but not having that option it saved my butt. Much better then any shotgun with all the background noise.

Great tool in the kit.