DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   K-Tek SSM or SM for AT897? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/53552-k-tek-ssm-sm-at897.html)

Robert Double October 29th, 2005 11:53 PM

K-Tek SSM or SM for AT897?

Hi,

I am thinking of either getting the KTek SSM or SM shock for the AT897. The different between the two is whether the microphone is short or not? What is the definition of short, and which one would be suitable for the 897?

Thanks

Robert

Pete Bauer October 30th, 2005 06:58 AM

Hi Robert,

The AT897 is a "short" shotgun, but the shortness is in the business end; I think the XLR end of the mic (where the shock mount would be placed) is similar in size to most other common mics. The K-Tek Product Catalog doesn't list the span between the two attach points on the shock mount, but the AT897 has over 4 inches from the XLR end to the side ports -- my Lightwave EQ-104 fuzzy still leaves 4.25 inches of the XLR end of the mic exposed -- so I think that should be enough.

The K-SM was what my retailer recommended for the AT897. I should receive the K-SM in another 4-5 days so if you're still shopping at that point I can let you know if it fits the mic + Lightwave properly. I think it should from the appearance in the catalog, but we shall see.

Guy Bruner October 30th, 2005 10:03 AM

Hi R2,
I use the K-tek KCAMSSM with the AT897. It works fine, especially with smaller camcorders. See this review (click) for pictures of the AT897 mounted with the KCAMSSM on several different Panasonic miniDV camcorders.

Robert Double October 30th, 2005 09:14 PM

Thanks guys !

Guy I noticed you went SSM instead of the SM? Any particular reason?

Pete - Definately interested to hear your feedback on how the SM fits the AT897.

Thanks

Robert

Guy Bruner October 31st, 2005 06:20 AM

Robert,
I believe the distance between the mounts on the SM is 3 inches. I just felt it wouldn't look as good on the small Panasonics as the SSM. I don't suppose it makes any functional difference. The SSM has worked fine for the AT897 and RODE NTG-2 so I suspect it will work fine for other short shotguns.

Something else to consider is the rubber mounts. There are some softer rubber mounts (click)available that are reportedly better at isolating the mic than the standard firm rubber mounts. I have the firm mounts and don't really have a problem with their performance.

Manfred Klemme October 31st, 2005 12:37 PM

Hi..

The 897 is quite long, so I recommend the K-SM with the regular rubber.

I expect that using the soft rubber with a windscreen on the mic will cause too much sag.

Cheers,

Manfred

Pete Bauer October 31st, 2005 01:26 PM

Guy, the measurement is much appreciated...looks like the K-SM is just the ticket for most common shotgun mics.

Manfred,
Thank you very much for personally answering our questions! I look forward to seeing my order of K-Tek equipment arrive later this week and will make every effort to give some feedback to this thread on my setup, which will include your new CCR version of the Avalon boompole.

Pete Bauer November 2nd, 2005 11:18 PM

Sorry I don't have time to post pictures tonight, but yes, the K-SM is definitely a good mount for the AT897. The actual span of the K-SM is only 2.5" and the microphone fits quite snuggly in the thick rubber mounts. It'll be perfect for boompole work.

The brand new model KE-110CCR aluminum boompole (not even in the catalog yet) is even nicer than I expected. Very nice, positive-feel knurled rings to lock each section of the pole. The difference between this model and the KE-110CC is that the tail end XLR adaptor uses a side fitting XLR jack (the K-CCR) instead of a straight (the K-CC) fitting. I have read an old post that mentioned a bit of a rattle due to the internal cable. Granted, I haven't had a chance to use the pole yet but no such noises are apparent. I'll try to actually test it out this weekend but my initial impression is VERY good.