DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Where do I get a rycote softie for the ME66? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/53633-where-do-i-get-rycote-softie-me66.html)

Josh Bass October 31st, 2005 09:32 PM

Where do I get a rycote softie for the ME66?

I know it sounds stupid, but on B&H's site, they only have ones for diameters of 19cm and up, when I'm quite sure the ME66 requires an 18cm hole, right? If so, where do I find one? If they're so popular, how come no one stocks these things?

Greg Boston November 1st, 2005 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass
I know it sounds stupid, but on B&H's site, they only have ones for diameters of 19cm and up, when I'm quite sure the ME66 requires an 18cm hole, right? If so, where do I find one? If they're so popular, how come no one stocks these things?

EVS has them and IIRC, they indicate which one fits which mic.

-gb-

Meryem Ersoz November 1st, 2005 08:01 AM

i just bought one of these. they do stock it. use the b&h search engine and plug in, "rycote softie 18cm" and you'll get the page listing exactly what you want and listing the mics it fits, including the me66.

Josh Bass November 1st, 2005 01:01 PM

Cool. Thanks.

Hey. . .do I REALLY need the pistol grip and all that? I don't own a boom pole (I use a mic stand really meant for musicians for that kinda stuff, for better or worse), and I've held the mic in my hand without any problem (as opposed to getting the pistol grip).

The reason I ask is 'cause those accessories somehow double the price, or more.

Anders Obbekjaer November 3rd, 2005 04:32 AM

Hi there..... I'm also looking into buying a rycote softie for a ME66, but does anyone know how well it performs compared to a regular senheiser zeppelin/blimp setup?

Anders

Meryem Ersoz November 3rd, 2005 11:12 AM

i use a mic stand, too. the pistol grip is good for minimizing noise if you have a separate sound person who is in motion or following the sound for you.

Marco Leavitt November 3rd, 2005 11:17 PM

Rycote's numbering system is screwy. I have an 18cm Softie, which I got from B&H years ago by the way. The sticker on the box says it will work with the ME66, and it does, but man, is it tough to get on there. The hole sure seems too small to me. Nice to know it won't slip off, but I have to think the next size up might be better. I'd call B&H and talk to them about it before you order.

Marco Leavitt November 3rd, 2005 11:32 PM

Looking at that again, I realize 18cm must be the length, which is perfect for the ME66. The lable also says MH, which I'm going to guess means medium hole. Maybe the large hole is too big. I don't know. This windscreen works just fine on the much thinner CS3e, which is supposed to take the small hole. It's not as snug, but it doesn't slip off or knock.

Manfred Klemme November 4th, 2005 02:34 PM

Hi....

Try the K-Tek Fuzzy Z-FSO-M

http://www.mklemme.com/pole/Zeppelin.html

Thanks,

Manfred

Eugene Kim November 4th, 2005 06:48 PM

Will the long version of the Fuzzy work with the Audio Technica 4071a?

Also, does it have improved wind resistance compared to the Softie?

Josh Bass November 5th, 2005 06:07 AM

Just wanted to tell everyone, according to what I've learned you need the 18cm MEDIUM HOLE softie for the ME66--- there're three hole sizes, large, medium and small, and there's an 18cm softie for each hole size, I think. Careful!

Marco Leavitt November 5th, 2005 10:57 AM

Anybody ever actually tried the large hole with the ME66 though? I've got a feeling it will work just fine.

Martin Mayer November 5th, 2005 12:54 PM

There is a Rycote Softie size calculator here.

18cm length and MH/medium hole is indeed the recommended size for the K6/ME66.

The ME66 barrel is 22mm diameter by the way, and is intended to be a very snug fit inside the Softie.

Noah Hayes November 9th, 2005 07:37 PM

Just got my Rycote windscreen/shockmount, a Beachtek DXA-6, and ME66 YESTERDAY! I love it, sounds great, way better than the on camera mic(duh)...however has anyone ever used the cabled K-Tek boompole? I had a friend operate some stuff I film yesterday, and he kinda messed it up, and now it won't close all the way (like 2 inches extra... any idea how to fix that? I think it's just the coiled cable inside thats messed up but I can't figure out how to fix it

Manfred Klemme November 11th, 2005 01:17 PM

Hi....

It sounds like your Boom Man twisted the pole sections a lot and created a "Hockle" or tangle in the coid cord. It can also be caused by over stretching.

Play with your telephone cord and you will get the idea....

Th XLR connecter is screwed into threads machined into the base of the pole so there is no washer and nut inside to mess with. Use a female XLR as a wrench and unscrew the male unit in the base. (You may need a little heat from a hair dryer to soften the Locktite) Pull out sime of the cord and try to untangle it..... normally this should be very easy. If the tangle is severe, send the pole to us directly at the factory, the address is at www.mklemme.com. We will look after the problem ... at no charge.
Thanks,

Manfred Klemme