Question about a field recorder works in this case. - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 15th, 2020, 03:53 PM   #151
Slash Rules!

Re: Question about a field recorder works in this case.

Well after seeing him in the pig sitcom and knowing I look like Paul Simon that would be quite a feat.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 04:12 PM   #152
also known as Ryan Wray

I apologize for being difficult to deal with. I truly appreciate all the advice, even if I have trouble with it, or if I feel I need to address certain variables about it. I will try to be better at it.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 04:26 PM   #153
Trustee

Ryan, thank you very much for that post. I certainly accept your apology. I apologize for the fact that I have only a limited amount of patience.

I would not be where I am today, and would not have had a lot of exceptional jobs over the years, if I hadn't been fortunate enough to have some outstanding mentors along the way. I sense that you really do want to learn some things, and I would like to help you do that. It's just frustrating that we seem to spend a lot of time going around in circles. Perhaps it's as frustrating for you as it is for me. Can we take this opportunity to try to figure out a better way for us to communicate?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2020, 03:49 PM   #154
also known as Ryan Wray

Sure we can do that. Thanks. I apologize to others again. I am very greatful for the advice.
Old February 18th, 2020, 10:37 AM   #155
Trustee

Ryan, I've heard that different people learn best in different ways. e.g. by hearing, by reading, by seeing illustrations, by doing, etc. What works best for you?

Aside from that, as I recall the recent dialog, one frustration was that some of us were giving you answers based on our experience with and knowledge of electrical circuitry. You kept disregarding our suggestions, perhaps because you were trying to "think outside the box." I believe that was frustrating for several of us, maybe including you. As Scotty used to say on Star Trek, "Ye cannae change the laws of physics" and that includes the laws of electricity. So applying a vaguely-defined philosophy like "think outside the box" does not apply in all situations.

I realize that Q&A threads here sometimes get convoluted ... I've been on both ends of that situation. Can you think of anything that would make the process work better for you?
Old February 21st, 2020, 02:34 AM   #156
also known as Ryan Wray

Yeah a lot of times I try to think outside the box, hoping there is something I missed that might work better. But maybe I should stop trying to think that way?

Not sure what would work better as far as processes go. I am still trying to figure that out myself. Thanks for bringing it up though.
Old February 21st, 2020, 04:43 AM   #157
Inner Circle

Do some research on Maslow's Heirachy of Needs and Kola's learning styles. Had to study them when I was doing my teacher training.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2020, 12:17 PM   #158
Trustee

Ryan,

I think it's a question of when "out of the box" can work, and when it can't.

Years ago I was recording a marching band outdoors. I wanted to get the mics up 20 feet or so above ground level (yet readily movable). I went to the local plumbing supply, ordered four 10-foot sticks of Aluminum pipe, got them threaded, got a threaded coupler, and made a thread adapter for the mic clips on top. The poles were light, strong, and easily managed (they were used straight vertical, not horizontal like a typical boom) by two boom operators. And they were far less expensive than any "pro sound" device I could find. At the time I thought it was "out of box" thinking, although maybe someone else had or has done the same thing. "Out of box" can work in a simple case like that.

OTOH in terms of electrical theory, unless you are a Nobel-level genius, you are not going to make batteries work in a new way that defies all present knowledge of batteries, or change electrical theory that's been accepted for over 100 years. In that case, trying to get out of the box is just beating your head against the box.

By all means don't stop thinking creatively. Just listen to the answers you get and try to understand when it's appropriate and when it won't work.
Old February 22nd, 2020, 12:43 PM   #159
Trustee

Paul

(entirely off topic)

I had pretty much forgotten Maslow, although it sounds so familiar that I must have heard it at some point in my college "career." IMHO Maslow explains a lot of the socio-economic-political upheaval in the country today. But that's just IMHO.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio