Frustrations with wireless Sennheiser system - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 21st, 2021, 07:07 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Frustrations with wireless Sennheiser system

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
Ed ...
Only this time, taking the two systems outside and away from the house a few hundred yards to get away from as much electro-magnetic interference (EMI) as possible that might be emanating from the house.
This probably should have been the first test. If you can establish whether it's coming from inside or outside the house.

Btw why is he using two receivers?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2021, 07:38 PM   #32
Major Player

Greg - Yes. I'm getting the intermittent bursts of static sounds on both receivers. One transmitter and receiver are almost brand new (purchased several months ago).

Pete - I'm using two receivers for two out of the three cameras that I'm using. (I don't have a 3rd receiver for the 3rd camera, at this time.)

Taking the wireless set-up out of the house is a good idea. I'll be doing this at a later date. In the meanwhile, I should be getting the new lavaliere microphone that'll be attached to the Zoom H6 audio recorder to get a good, clean sound without the annoying static sound that I'm getting (from the wireless lavaliere set-up). For the other two cameras, I'll just use the internal microphones for now.

Here's a photo of our "Green Room".

https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Frustrations with wireless Sennheiser system-001-greenroom.jpg  
Old February 21st, 2021, 08:06 PM   #33
Trustee

Ted, maybe this was implied in your answer, but you didn't specifically say so and it's an important detail. Are you getting the static hits on both receivers at the same instant?

ALSO is your range a combustion type (burning natural gas, propane, etc.)? If so, do the static hits coincide with using the electronic igniter on the burners?

Or is there no range involved (per your "green room" photo)? Somehow I imagined cooking would involve some source of heat, but then again I'm no cook.

Last edited by Greg Miller; February 21st, 2021 at 09:08 PM.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2021, 10:05 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fiebke View Post
Greg - Yes. I'm getting the intermittent bursts of static sounds on both receivers. One transmitter and receiver are almost brand new (purchased several months ago).

Pete - I'm using two receivers for two out of the three cameras that I'm using. (I don't have a 3rd receiver for the 3rd camera, at this time.)
Only one camera needs the wireless lav feed, other cameras can use their internal mics since their audio should only be used as a scratch track for syncing purposes.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2021, 06:05 AM   #35
Trustee

The OP hasn't posted for two weeks now. Has anyone heard from him off-forum? I hope his disappearance indicates that he identified the problem and just didn't bother to get back to us. I'm curious what (if anything) he's found out.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2021, 04:50 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
The OP hasn't posted for two weeks now. Has anyone heard from him off-forum? I hope his disappearance indicates that he identified the problem and just didn't bother to get back to us. I'm curious what (if anything) he's found out.
Oh dear. . . My apologies! LOL!

I've been doing extra shifts at work. (I'm an ICU/CCU Staff Nurse and Per Diem Shift Supervisor for my hospital.) Work has been busy!! (Ugh!) Anyway. . . . an update. . .

The one test that I should do, but haven't done yet, is to take the pair of the wireless Sennheiser system outside, free from any kind of interference, and see if the problem persists. Although this particular set is nearly brand new, I simply might have a malfunctioning wireless lavaliere system.

The solution to ensure good sound?!?? I purchased a SONY ECM-77B lavaliere microphone and attach it, via a regular (extension) XLR cable, to my happy ZOOM H6 recording device. I get a good clean audio signal with none of that frustrating intermittent static sounds. The immediate problem is now solved!

Still. . . It would be nice to use the wireless lavaliere system. The new solution using the SONY lavaliere microphone works great when we video-record in our Green Room. (See one of my previous posts, here, for a photo of that room). But my loving wife wants the option of recording cooking videos in our downstairs kitchen. Having a "wired" lavaliere system could prove to be cumbersome. It would be nice to be able to use the wireless lavaliere system during any video-recording production outside the Green Room. So, I need to do some additional testing with the Sennheiser system. If it ends up being a malfunctioning system, I might consider purchasing a new wireless lavaliere system from a different manufacturer.

I wish to be clear about something. I am sincerely grateful for the time and expert advice that you all have shared here! Thank You All!!

Respectfully,

Ted
Old March 8th, 2021, 06:50 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Swapping to a different manufacturer will only work if it is on frequencies that are different and interference free. Swapping to different banks on your current system could be just as effective.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio