DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   I have a question about how boom poles work. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/538492-i-have-question-about-how-boom-poles-work.html)

Ryan Elder January 15th, 2022 01:03 AM

I have a question about how boom poles work.

I have an Auray boom pole, the 16 foot long one. It worked fine for a while, but when I turn the dial on of the extensions it will not tighten at all, and the extension is still loose and the extension will still slide up and down, even though the dial is fully tightened. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thank you very much for any advice on it! I really appreciate it!

Sean Adair January 15th, 2022 12:04 PM

Re: I have a question about how boom poles work.

Not enough gaffer tape, lol! Sorry, couldn't resist.
I have been able to repair these collar locks on trips/boom poles on occasion. If you can completely loosen and remove the screw joint, you will be able to expose the inner collar and washers which provide the friction grip. sometimes these have just slipped out of position. There may be a lock screw of some sort preventing the full unscrewing of the collar. If you can disassemble it, the insides are pretty straightforward, just watch for loose parts. Good luck.

Rick Reineke January 15th, 2022 12:39 PM

Most of Auray gear is for occasional use (low price/quality). Most pro 16 foot poles are $500+, add a few more hundred $$ for a lighter-weight carbon fiber model... Or as Sean stated, use gaffer tape.

Ryan Elder January 15th, 2022 12:48 PM

Oh okay. I just it whenever I have a project or am doing someone else's so maybe a few times a year but is that too many to use it on?

Jim Feeley January 19th, 2022 10:19 PM

Maybe this YT video from Auray will help you figure out how to take it (partly) apart, and reassemble your pole. Then try cleaning and lubing the section and knuckle that's giving your trouble.

I clean my k-tek poles with Windex and then a tiny bit of Protect All dry lube. Again IIRC, Windex + Protect All is what K-Tek used to recommend (I think others prefer Pledge...maybe google around). That keeps my poles' knuckles clean and lets me clamp them without too much.effort...

Jim Feeley January 19th, 2022 10:20 PM

And perhaps this longer YT video will help:

Brian Drysdale January 23rd, 2022 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Elder (Post 1966837)
Oh okay. I just it whenever I have a project or am doing someone else's so maybe a few times a year but is that too many to use it on?

That's not heavy use, using it regularly on long productions over a number of years would be heavy use.