DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Can't Get Other Mics to Work With Wireless Transmitter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/54601-cant-get-other-mics-work-wireless-transmitter.html)

Steve London November 18th, 2005 12:54 AM

Can't Get Other Mics to Work With Wireless Transmitter

I have a Nady UHF-3 Receiver and UB-3 body pack transmitter with Nady lavalier mic http://www.nadywireless.com/products...s/uhf3_pg.html.

The system works great but I cannot get it to work with a Sennheiser e835 dynamic mic nor a JVC M-510 condenser shotgun mic with fresh battery. In both cases no audio is transmitted at all.

The transmitter input is a 3.5 mm mini phone jack and since both the Sennheiser and JVC mics use an XLR connector I tried a cable that converts XLR to 3.5 mm phone plug. The cable is commercially made by Neutrik and with that cable both mics work fine when plugged into my mini-disk recorder.

What am I doing wrong please?

Steve House November 18th, 2005 06:09 AM

Never used Nady but noticed from their info that the cable on the stock mics also serves as the transmitter's antenna. Perhaps the signal isn't getting past the connector with your adapter or is on one of the wires in the cable that are inside the shielding.

Steve London November 18th, 2005 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House
Never used Nady but noticed from their info that the cable on the stock mics also serves as the transmitter's antenna. Perhaps the signal isn't getting past the connector with your adapter or is on one of the wires in the cable that are inside the shielding.

That's a puzzle because the transmitter has a separate antenna on it.

Gotta read again because I missed that about the mic cable.

Steve House November 18th, 2005 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve London
That's a puzzle because the transmitter has a separate antenna on it.

Gotta read again because I missed that about the mic cable.

Yeah, it is surprising given the other antenna. But from page 9 of the manual inline at the site you listed, it says ...

Quote:

6. Microphone Use (with either a lavalier or headworn microphone)
Secure the connection from the LAVALIER (36) or HEADWORN MIC CORD (35) by
turning the slip ring on the plug into the transmitter clockwise to thread it on to the
jack. To unplug, reverse the process. To use the lavalier mic, attach it at chest level.
Do not place it too close to the mouth–a distance of about six inches usually works
best. To use the headworn mic, place it on the head and adjust the boom so that the
mic is about one inch to the side of the front of the mouth. As the microphone cord
also serves as the antenna, be sure to extend it fully. Rolling up or shortening the cord
may reduce the effective operating range–keep it as straight as possible.

It also occurred to me, this passage refers to a slip ring on the stock mic connector that threads onto the jack in the transmitter. Could it be your ring-less adapter with a conventional 3.5 mm plug is butting up against the edge of the jack before seating deeply enough for the tip to make contact?

Gareth Watkins November 18th, 2005 01:37 PM

Just by way of comparison...

My AT897 works very well with the Senheisser G2 wireless tranny/receiver set.. just plug it in use it on a boom or handheld and it gives very good sound...
in fact if I up the db settings it is better than just plugging the mic into the camera..

cheers

Gareth

David Ennis November 18th, 2005 04:09 PM

Sounds like one of the variations of the classic XLR to mini problem. I assume your cable has a three section plug (tip, ring, sleeve). It it's properly wired to be plugged into a stereo device (like your mini disc recorder), pins one and three of the XLR connector go to the sleeve of the mini plug, and pin 2 goes to both the tip and the ring. This serves up dual mono to a stereo jack. Trouble is, when plugged into a mono jack like on the transmitter, contact is often made only to the tip and the ring. That's my guess. Could be corrected with the addition of female stereo to male mono adapter plug.