DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   MXB1002 - Behringer - what do you think? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/56996-mxb1002-behringer-what-do-you-think.html)

Leo Mandy December 28th, 2005 04:48 PM

MXB1002 - Behringer - what do you think?

I saw someone posting about this today and wondered if this is a viable option for field film-makers? Running a shotgun mic into the mixer and then back into the camera (for those camera without the ability to alter levels).
The 9V battery is also a great touch, no need for an outlet. Problem is no XLR outputs I don't think...

Seth Bloombaum December 28th, 2005 05:06 PM

It works.

A buddy has one, typical Behringer.

The ergonomics might be a little awkward, most field mixers are designed to hang in front of the operator from a shoulder strap, the 1002 is designed as a tabletop unit. It does have balanced outputs, I forget whether they are TRS or XLR.

Incredible bang for the 100 bucks.

Leo Mandy December 28th, 2005 05:18 PM

Great to hear. I want to get one because they seem to have everything I need - my mic is a little loud, lots of background noise - so I am hoping that the mixer will help me alittle with that. The mic has two setting, one for tele and one that is softer. The problem is the softer one (the one without so much background noise) is really quiet. I need something to boost the noise level because my camera can't.

Shannon Rawls December 28th, 2005 09:29 PM

They are good. TRS balanced out. Quiet preamps. And an excellent price.

- ShannonRawls.com

Dave Perry December 29th, 2005 06:46 AM

I have one and love it. Not a run and gun type mixer for field use but is quite portable and is a good choice for on location shoots out doors because of the battery operation. I've read that the phantom power voltage drops below 48 v when running on bateries though.

BTW, I got a Behringer C-1 mic for X-mas and it sounds great! Especially for 50 bux!

Steve House December 29th, 2005 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo Mandy
Great to hear. I want to get one because they seem to have everything I need - my mic is a little loud, lots of background noise - so I am hoping that the mixer will help me alittle with that. The mic has two setting, one for tele and one that is softer. The problem is the softer one (the one without so much background noise) is really quiet. I need something to boost the noise level because my camera can't.

Remember the mixer boosts or cuts everyting handed to it. If your mic has noise mixed with the desired audio, adjusting levels at the mixer won't fix it. While a mixer is certanily a valuable addition to your "kit," at the same time you might also want to consider your microphone options and your technique for placing the microphones - closer is better.

Those "zoom" mics rarely live up to expectations.

Leo Mandy December 30th, 2005 08:09 AM

I have recently seen this product as well : UB1002 Behringer. It is about $40.00 cheaper! I am wondering what it is missing? I think it is a later model than the MXB1002, yet it is cheaper. Any ideas?

Steve House December 30th, 2005 09:21 AM

Quote:

I have recently seen this product as well : UB1002 Behringer. It is about $40.00 cheaper! I am wondering what it is missing? I think it is a later model than the MXB1002, yet it is cheaper. Any ideas?

Why not take a look at the Behringer website - www.behringer.com - for detailed specs and even downloadable user manuals. But either one is still a Behringer and you should be aware that many audio professionals consider Behringer products in general to be of questionable quality at best.

Leo Mandy December 30th, 2005 09:23 AM

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the info - but not being an audiophile myself, it is all just letters and numbers to me, so yes, I am asking to be spoonfed on this one ;)

Graham Bernard December 30th, 2005 09:30 AM

Yup, I got one. I've used it since early this year. For the money it is superb. XLRs and 1/4" jacks phonos on outs masses of features. The Clipping LEDs don't operate on battery power.

I've live mixed several mics plugged in Cans and took final outs to one of my XM2 - it just worked! I did a shoot with a talking head and it made life so much easier as I could get the mics outta range of frame but still get enough power to pick up what I needed. Being a single handed video maker, popping this 10 channel on a chair/table next to me is very easy and makes mixing a pleasure.

For the money it is too wild!

Grazie

Steve House December 30th, 2005 09:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the info - but not being an audiophile myself, it is all just letters and numbers to me, so yes, I am asking to be spoonfed on this one ;)

LOL - well I doubt if most of the folks here would claim the title "audiophile" either - all too often that means fascination with specs rather than focus on results. But it's a fact that in the professional world meaningful specifications, ruggedness and reliability, and matching the right tool to the job at hand is the name of the game. Instead of saying "it's all just numbers to me" I'd suggest you treat yourself to a crash course in what the numbers mean via a bit of google research <grin>. It'll stand you good stead in the long run.

But back to the Behringer site, you'd asked what the differences were between two models and there's where you can make a feature-by-feature comparison to help you decide what features make sense for you to pay for and what features don't. For example, I have no use at all for a mixer that has a built-in special effects module yet for someone staging a rock group that feature might be absolutely essential. How many channels are needed? It depends on what you're shooting and how many mics you're going to place on the set. Shooting concerts, church services, or weddings where the talent is already miked and program audio is on a house system? Then several line level inputs might be more important to you than numerous mic inputs might be. Shooting performances where you're placing many mics on the set? More mic inputs would be a blessing. Going to be using professional mics that require phantom power? Then having a mixer that provides it is important. Will you often have a mic on a boom and a boom operator to keep the mic on target? Then a battery operated mixer/preamp with a headphone jack that he can clip to his belt or wear in a pouch during the shot is is better than a mixing desk type of unit. Well, you get the idea - spell out your needs and go through the manuals to see if the unit you're considering does the job you need to do.

The Behringer units are certainly usable and definitely a bargain. Just remember you get what you pay for.

Dave Largent December 30th, 2005 11:23 AM

Quote:

I just took a guick look at the Behringer site and it
appears the UB1002 does not have the battery option.

The specs for the MXB says it'll run 4 hours on a 9V
battery but who knows under what conditions, such
as supplying phantom power or whatnot. You'd
get noticeably more run time with a lithium battery,
I would think. I have to use lithiums in my
(non-Behringer) mixer to get me through the day.

Leo Mandy December 31st, 2005 08:34 AM

You are right, some sites say nothing and other's like this one, says battery op'd

http://www.equipmentemporium.com/MixingPanels.htm

More searching also brought up this one :

Samson MIXPAD 4 Portable Mixer NV
This one is battery op as well, maybe a better product?
http://www.music123.com/Samson-MIXPA...r-i96022.music

Dave Perry December 31st, 2005 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Largent
I just took a guick look at the Behringer site and it
appears the UB1002 does not have the battery option.

From the Behringer site: "Our UBB1002 gives you the option of AC or battery power..."

Leo Mandy December 31st, 2005 10:41 AM

Thanks Dave, I thought I was going crazy for a minute there!

Devin Dukes February 17th, 2006 03:34 PM

How do I connect a mixer

Do you take that mixer and run a attenuating cord to the cam? RCA to 1/8th? I'll use a cheap Behringer if I can. Panasonic DVC30

Graham Risdon February 18th, 2006 12:11 AM

Just echoing most of the comments the MXB1002 is a good little mixer for "static" type events - shows etc - it works and I've not had any phantom power problems on batteries with a variety of mics (Haven't used any tube mics though!) I also have a Sound Devices 302 for run-and-gun stuff and whilst it's a much more professional product, it only does 3 channels and costs 10 x as much!
Hope this helps