DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   All Things Audio -- topics from 2002 thru 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/5703-all-things-audio-topics-2002-thru-2004-a.html)

Glen Elliott March 8th, 2004 01:20 PM

B&H PD170/wireless bundle

Anyone know how good the wireless system that is bundled in this package at B&H? Looking to use it to capture vows during weddings.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=306461&is=REG

Mike Rehmus March 8th, 2004 03:44 PM

Since this is a sound question, I'm moving the thread.

The wireless in question is the Sony UWP-C1 (66) True Diversity Portable Camera Mountable UHF Wireless Lavalier Microphone System (782 to 806 MHz)

Michael Richard March 9th, 2004 05:37 PM

what type of mic for this?

I have to shoot an outdoor sequence of a man who will be moving around near a stream and fish ladder with a 80ft waterfall in the background. He will be talking all the while describing the environment of the place.

What would be the best mic system to XLR camera input to assure I get good audio? Lav? Wireless lav, Shotgun, Boomed?
Any suggestions...

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 9th, 2004 06:12 PM

This is a toughie with running water. You need a lav, good pre, and time to set it up. Wireless is fine. Measure the distance as a fistmele, get the mic properly distanced, not as close as possible.
A boom with a GOOD and experienced operator, with a good zep and cat would be better, but the key words are good and experienced.
If you can run both, do it. Also, run one channel hot and the other not, and you should be very safe. Make sure the talent speaks up so he's not competing with the running water. That's really the critical element.

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 13th, 2004 10:58 PM

Submini splitter?

Anyone out there ever seen a submini splitter? I've got two I've made, but they are in kit boxes. I'm wondering if there is a molded end, or other type besides what I've built. These don't always pack well, but are rarely used, so I'd be fine with a molded "Y" cable.

Bryan Beasleigh March 13th, 2004 11:13 PM

Douglas
Sub mini as in 2.5mm or TA3?

Bryant Wang March 21st, 2004 01:10 PM

sennheiser ME 64/k6-k6p mounted

HI all

I'd like to hear from anyone who has used the sennheiser ME64 microphone as a replacement for the NV-1. I'm thinking of getting one as my permenant on camera mic. I know people do use it on the pd150. So anyone with first hand experience?

Alan Christensen March 24th, 2004 10:52 AM

Minidisk and microphone

I am looking for a stand-alone device to record sound at weddings and other events. In most cases the device will be a backup to my cameras, but in some cases I may need to rely on it as an additional sound source. Ideally the recorder should be capable of being used successfully with an omni microphone, a lav, or connected to a wireless receiver. Multiple channels would be a plus, but not absolutely necessary in this first unit.

I have never owned a minidisk or similar device, and so I'm not very familiar with them. I guess this may be an advantage as there appear to be some other choices out there now with flash and disk based solutions.

To simplify things, I am not very anxious to transfer the stored sound to my editing system using analog transfer. I'd be willing to pay a few hundred dollars extra to be able to download the captured audio quickly via a computer port.

Given my requirements what would you recommend? I'm interested in both the recorder and an omni microphone to plug into it.

Mike Hanlon March 25th, 2004 05:07 PM

Settings gains and levels for Evo 100

A couple of weeks ago I used my new Sennheiser Evo 100 ENG kit at my first wedding shoot. All went well, but I was a bit puzzled as to how I should set the various levels and sensitivities in the sound path for optimal results.

At the wedding shoot I had a Sony ECM-55b lav miv connected to the Evo transmitter (the little cube with the XLR at one end). The transmitter has various sensitivity levels in order to match the mics its gets mated with.

At the receiver end was the bodypack receiver. It has an output level control knob/dial.

Next was my SignVideo XLR adapter, which has its own adjustment knob.

Finally we get to the Sony VX-2000 and its own manual recording level control.

That's four indepenent controls in the path. What would be the best way to set each stage for best results?

Thanks for looking.

Richard Maloney March 25th, 2004 08:29 PM

Another Greg Winter mod

Well, I ordered the complete mod job: Fix audio on the VX2000, make and supply custom cables, modify mixPre case(strengthening and tripod hole) and attach it to cam.
(I would have done the Octava mic if the Ebayer didn't ground mail it to Canada customs Arrgg ((you Canadians know what I mean)) instead of to Greg.)

Recieved this lovely message from www.GregWinter.com yesterday:

Quote:

Richard - wanted to let you know that your v2k camera is out of surgery and
sounds great! I made your cables and just have to attach the MixPre to your
camera. I think I will get it out tomorrow.
Thanks you Greg !!

Well, Greg phoned me today. All the work is done and he asks me if I wouldn't mind if he ships it tommorow. (All the time I'm saying one week is good and this is 2 days!) So, I say sure, heck its 7 o'clock and I hear his dinner engagement in the background!! Sure tommorow is fine! In the course of the conversation he lets out that he cut himself. I say bad? He says mmm..little cut... I say how?, (now feeling bad because I know its something to do with my cam) Well, he says, your camera is bigger now that the mixPRe is mounted and for it to fit in original box some styrofoam had to be removed.... Stiches? Probably.

I am posting this because I am thrilled with the service Greg offers and the professional and caring manner he does business.

Now my nice cam, please come home safely, the snows gone.:)

Thanks you GREG and the members of DVinfo.net!!!

Bryan Beasleigh March 25th, 2004 10:07 PM

UPS ground will take 3 days and be sure it's stessed that it was a repair. The weiners wanted $280 taxes and duty.

I wound up getting Greg to fax the UPS brokerage rerate dept.
Oyvey the pain !

Be sure to test the Oktava thoroughly. There are some duds out there.

Scott Osborne March 27th, 2004 02:39 PM

HHB has a nice pro level Minidisc recorder out. I have used it with much sucess. However you may want to check out Marantz's Compact Flash recorders. They offer a wider selection of bitrates and compression. With minidisc your pretty much stuck with Atrac. Not that thats a bad thing. But the CF recorders allow you to get much longer record times

John Locke March 28th, 2004 10:05 PM

"hanging up phone" sound needed - Listener's perspective

Anyone know of a "hanging up phone" sound as heard by the listener, not from the perspective of the person hanging up?

(Tried recording it myself, but phones now don't make the type of noise I'm hoping for. It's the type of hang up sound heard in a Pink Floyd song (can't remember the name) where they recorded a call with an international operator, and the recipient keeps hanging up)

Ken Tanaka March 28th, 2004 10:34 PM

You've looked through SoundDogs? I just briefly scanned for "hang-up" and got quite a few results. Of course, these sound effects are not free. But they are generally well recorded for foley work.

Chris Wright March 29th, 2004 01:09 PM

Azden WR-22 Wireless Mic

What do you guys think of the Azden mic setup on this page: http://www.videoguys.com/azden.htm

I am looking at the Azden WR-22 dual wireless mic system on the right side of the page. Considering that I have a very limited budget, would this be a good buy? I like the ability to have one receiver that can pick up two wireless lav mics - maybe one for the officiant and one for the groom?

Thanks for your input!