DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   DVX100a + sennheiser ew100 lav setup question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/57426-dvx100a-sennheiser-ew100-lav-setup-question.html)

Saturnin Kondratiew January 4th, 2006 11:15 AM

DVX100a + sennheiser ew100 lav setup question

i'm going to be shooting wit this set up for the next few days,
i got the basic idea of what to do and have settings on, but if there are any other things that i need to keep in mind please let me know.

I'll be shooting indoors(garage, motorcycle shop, inside car)

do i need to have the dvx set up for the mic? so far i have played with the volume knobs on line 1 and two 2
i keep audio line 2 completely off and just have 1 going with the lav?(is that correct?)

any help would be appreciated

thanx guys

thanx Ron

Seth Bloombaum January 4th, 2006 11:54 AM

Always monitor all the audio with headphones - always. Many things can happen with a wireless (or any mic, really), but in particular RF hits, low battery, breath popping on the mic, lav drops somewhere it shouldn't be.

Not that familiar with the DVX, always a good idea to experiment and benchmark to see what level of volume out of the receiver sounds best with your camera.

In most cases you don't want to use it much in the edit, but a camera-mounted mic is what you want into channel 2. Potential uses - sfx and ambience into the final mix, backup on the lav.

Saturnin Kondratiew January 4th, 2006 11:58 AM

i have headphones so i'll be able to monitor it...
another noob question....how will i be able to seperate the two tracks when editing??? i edit in pro 1.5

plus i might also go hand held for a few shots..so i'll hear the rubbing of hands on camera on the cam microphone....hmmm

Bob Costa January 4th, 2006 02:16 PM

1. Don't use the built-in mic if you can help it. A shotgun will have fewer noise issues.
2. You can have both channels on together without danger.
3. Lots of people use both channels tied together, but set the mic sensitity differently for each channel;. This can give you more dynamic range to handle extremes, you just decide in post which channel to us. It will mostly be one channel, but you may fade in the other for a specific purpose (clipping or extra volume...)
3a. Another trick is to have your lav in one channel and the shotgun in the other. Gives you more choices in post, including chance to merge in some room ambience.
4. Most any NLE will let you select one or both channels. I don't know about premier specifically.

Saturnin Kondratiew January 4th, 2006 02:48 PM

i dont have a another mic to plug to channel 2(just the onboard mic)
so can i just turn it off...

Glenn Chan January 4th, 2006 02:59 PM

Quote:

1. Don't use the built-in mic if you can help it. A shotgun will have fewer noise issues.
If you don't have much money, a hypercardioid may be better to use than a shotgun. Cheap shotguns like the ME66 don't sound that great indoors (the ME66 is a little old; not sure how it stacks up against the AT897 or Rode NTG2 or AT4073a).

Saturnin Kondratiew January 4th, 2006 03:10 PM

i should be just fine with the lav anyway...