DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Best shotgun for inexperienced boom-op? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/57563-best-shotgun-inexperienced-boom-op.html)

Marco Leavitt January 5th, 2006 04:06 PM

Best shotgun for inexperienced boom-op?

I like and use the CS3e, but for our own projects I'm constantly having to train new people because I'm busy with the camera and can't boom. I know any shotgun is going to take some precision and skill to use, but I'm coming to the realization that the CS3e is just too unforgiving for most novices. What would be a good alternative for general booming?

Glenn Chan January 5th, 2006 04:09 PM

Maybe a hypercardioid would help? The sound quality won't change dramatically once you get outside that narrow cone where the shotgun sounds the same.

Marco Leavitt January 5th, 2006 04:15 PM

That's certainly an option. I guess I'm looking for something that's a little more directional than a hypercardiod, but still has really smooth off axis-response. Something between a CS3e and an MK41 I guess.

Ty Ford January 6th, 2006 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
That's certainly an option. I guess I'm looking for something that's a little more directional than a hypercardiod, but still has really smooth off axis-response. Something between a CS3e and an MK41 I guess.

So you're going to allow your sound to suffer by either a bad operator or a bad choice of gear. I find that weird. Will the boom op have hedphones?

Ty Ford

Marco Leavitt January 6th, 2006 07:31 AM

Well, what I really need is three of me. :) One of the reasons I got into sound in the first place is because it is so hard to find good audio people in our area. I'm not planning to use less quality gear, just something a little easier to boom in outdoor locations where the noise isn't really bad. Yes, boom-op has headphones.

Ty Ford January 6th, 2006 07:57 AM

Hi marco,

I was not suggesting that you use crappy mics. I was trying to say that using a mic with a wider pattern would pick up more room sound and compromise your dialog tracks.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Marco Leavitt January 6th, 2006 09:01 AM

Certainly if it was too noisy we'd switch back to the CS3e and then make sure we had lots of tight shots to fall back on where the mic could be right up close. I just find that this mic is really challenging to boom. You have to be spot on. We don't give just anybody the boom and have some very dedicated, earnest people working for us, but it occurs to me that it might just be too much to expect them to master this mic right off.

Ty Ford January 6th, 2006 09:20 AM

You can keep them on track during the shoot by listening along, no?

Ty

Marco Leavitt January 6th, 2006 09:33 AM

Yeah, but I'm tired of yelling "you're off! You're off!" and I think they're tired of me yelling at them. Besides, I can't monitor during Steadicam shots. I'm thinking something still reasonably directional, but smoother off axis might be just the ticket for many situations. The CS3e is a really useful mic, but it has nasty off-axis coloration. There's just a huge penalty for being even slightly off aim.

Ty Ford January 6th, 2006 05:55 PM

The CMIT is very nice as it goes off axis. Sort of like a big voulme knob. The 4073, OTOH is quite sharp.

Regards,

Ty

Marco Leavitt January 6th, 2006 10:11 PM

Hmmm, I kind of wanted an excuse to buy the CMIT. That's a pretty big ticket item though. Gotta think about that one. The AT4073 would be a lot easier to pick up. Thanks much Ty. How soon do you think we'll be able to read your review of the CMIT?

Ty Ford January 7th, 2006 09:56 PM

Hi Marco,

I was shooting outside with it today. Like a cmc641 with reach. I do have samples of the audio on my site in the Articles Archive.

The first review will be in TV Technology this month. I hav been commsioned to write another for Pro Audio Review and am working on that now.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Glenn Davidson January 7th, 2006 10:03 PM

I love Pro Audio Review!