DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   How do I connect my studio monitors to my laptop? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/57870-how-do-i-connect-my-studio-monitors-my-laptop.html)

Tony Hall January 9th, 2006 11:13 AM

How do I connect my studio monitors to my laptop?
Ok, I'm new to the whole audio thing. I just picked up a couple M-Audio BX5a's for my laptop (since the headphones I was using were totally fooled me).

They come with power cords and that's it and I don't know how to hook these things up. Do I have to buy a mixer? If so, could someone recommend a good cheap one for me to pick up.



Tony Hall January 9th, 2006 12:01 PM

Here's some things I'm looking at, at B&H right now. I don't know how to use a mixer, but I probably could use a preamp:




I'm hoping to get some fast feedback because I'd like to order something today and get it here asap. I promise I'll read a good book on audio before my next project, so I won't have to ask questions like this again.

Tony Hall January 9th, 2006 01:56 PM

Ok, I've made some real progress. I just have one last question if someone can swoop in here before I have to make my order at B&H.

After doing some searching I've settled on the Firewire 410. Now, B&H recommends 1/4" phone cable with my monitors, but the manual says I should use TRS cables. Is there a difference... if so, what cables should I buy for connecting the two?

John L Scott January 9th, 2006 02:10 PM

The TRS "Tip-ring-sleeve" cable (3-conductor "stereo" cable) This is a balanced cable just like the XLR. You can use either one as long as they are balanced.


Tony Hall January 9th, 2006 02:38 PM

Thanks for responding... I have one more question. I'll read that link that you gave me later. My question is: If I have two speakers and I'm going to be plugging them into my Firewire 410 separately, do I want to use "stereo" cables or the mono TS cables?

John L Scott January 9th, 2006 02:58 PM

Wow Thats a cool toy. I was thinking about doing the same thing but I been using my live gig system to get the same audio efx although it's 2000+ watts. OK I don't know what M-Audio BX5a's are so I am taking a shot at this. I use unbalanced 1/4 inch to the speakers from my crossover because they are Peavey 1820s cabs. I would say mono TS cables. Look at the manual you have with the unit for hookup. Hope this helps...


Sheila Ward January 9th, 2006 03:21 PM

I have the 410 + BX5a setup. I use these TRS (1/4") cables from B&H:


You'll need one for each speaker and they will plug into line output 1 and 2 of the 410.

John L Scott January 9th, 2006 03:42 PM

Now how cool is this. I have helped a little and got a big answer to a problem I have been wanting to fix. I have all this live gear and was going to downsize to save room. Thanks fellow DVers...

Tony Hall January 9th, 2006 06:54 PM

Thanks John and Sheila. That cable on B&H is the the one in the recommended accessories with the speakers. If they work for you, then that's what I'll get. That saves me some money because the cables called "TRS" at B&H are real expensive... like $25 for a three foot cable.

Well, I've learned a lot today.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:33 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2021 The Digital Video Information Network