DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   A good high end portable digital mixer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/59585-good-high-end-portable-digital-mixer.html)

Sean Freeland February 1st, 2006 11:33 AM

A good high end portable digital mixer

I have been using a Shure FP33 mixer in the field, but am now able to upgrade and would like to get a digital mixer with limiter, compressor and digital lvl readout. Budget is not a problem but would like a good mixer with good sound quality. What does anyone recommend?

Ray Sigmond February 1st, 2006 11:42 AM

On B&H I saw the Sony DMXP01

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Richard Alvarez February 1st, 2006 12:00 PM

Sound Devices gets great reviews. Check out the 442 and the 302
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/442master.htm

Dan Keaton February 1st, 2006 01:17 PM

I highly recommend the Sound Devices 302 or 442.

However, these are analog mixers, but they do have limiters and other features.

The sound level is presented via a very effective arrangement of LEDs.

Steve House February 1st, 2006 03:07 PM

Just a note - compression and similar processing is generally best applied in the final stages of post, not when making the original recording in the field.

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 1st, 2006 03:22 PM

To a very limited extent, I have to disagree with Steve. If you find yourself unable to control the sound in the field, and hardware devices help gain that control, then go ahead and commit to the processed sound in the field. It also might be that hardware helps deal with certain issues such as compression, feedback, etc. In those cases, and being sure you know your content...go ahead and committ. But if you have no control, don't have time to check everything 3 times, and don't know the subject...be as cautious as possible, and apply in post.
Real world scenario;
you have a speaker that talks very loudly, and very softly, at both ends of the spectrum. Because of the loud voice, you've got to keep gain artificially low. (-18dB or more) In post, you attempt to bring up the quiet passages, but because of the gain and signal to noise, you've now raised the noise level significantly, whereas if you'd recorded with light compression in the field, you could have greater gain and potentially more efficient s/n ratio, and therefore better audio to work with in post.
But overall, my experience for "average" or "common" recording scenarios is to do all your EQ, compression, and sometimes even room tone, in post.

Jim Feeley February 2nd, 2006 01:45 PM

You don't need a digital mixer. Note that the Sony digital field mixer (the DMX P01) has been discontinued (or so I was told by some Sony folks). And as others here have pointed out, you don't need (or even want) compression on a field mixer. But a limiter is handy...as are good meters, and so on.

I own a Sound Devices 302 and like it a lot. I also have an older PSC M4 A+ that works OK (and a small Sound Devices MixPre that I also like). But I'm most happy with the 302.

There are other good mixers, but as a FP33 replacement, the 302 is a pretty close fit.

Best,

Jim

Ty Ford February 2nd, 2006 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House
Just a note - compression and similar processing is generally best applied in the final stages of post, not when making the original recording in the field.

Were it not for the input and output limiters in the Sound Devices 442, I wouldn't have bought it. I count on them to be inaudible and to save my butt on a regular basis.

It's an analog mixer. I can feed two (well, three actually) cameras simultaneously, if needed.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Steve House February 3rd, 2006 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford
Were it not for the input and output limiters in the Sound Devices 442, I wouldn't have bought it. I count on them to be inaudible and to save my butt on a regular basis.

It's an analog mixer. I can feed two (well, three actually) cameras simultaneously, if needed.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Oh yes, the role of limiters is a given - when I was referring to "processing" I meant things like compression or other manipulations of the signal.

Ty Ford February 3rd, 2006 06:33 AM

Ah, well some folks consider limiting processing. There is also the question of delay. That's normally considered a process, but the Sound Devices 744T allows delay to be adjusted separately for each channel to allow for source to mic distance differences. I don't think I've been in a position to use that feature yet.

Other location audio guys use one of the Yamaha digital mixers, I think because of all of it's input and output capabilities. Those are on carts and run on AC, typically not on batteries.

Regards,

Ty Ford