DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   "Shot through a pillow" feel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/59740-shot-through-pillow-feel.html)

Ernesto Mantaras February 2nd, 2006 09:12 PM

"Shot through a pillow" feel

Hi. Newbie here. Hope to get going in here, as long as time allows.

I didn't know how to name the thread, it's kind of rare the effect I'm after. Now here's the situation I've got (please forgive my English, I'm not a native speaker): I have to make a shot sound effect sound like it was shot into a pillow. You know, like when some criminal wants to soften the noise of the gun so he isn't heard killing someone.

Actually, the scene involves two guys holding another, putting the guns to his chest, pushing hard and pulling the trigger. So the sound wouldn't be like the shot in the middle of a field. Oh, and these guys are out on the street, not inside any room.

I'm using Adobe Audition 1.0 to edit the sound, and I was wondering if any of you know a way to accomplish this "sensation" in a shot sound effect.

Hope I have come clear, and if there's anything that's not so, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can throw this way.

Glenn Davidson February 2nd, 2006 10:05 PM

I would start with rolling off the high frequencies and adding gain to 200 hz, Then use a noise gate to quickly attenuate any reverberant sound. Maybe add some close cloth rustling noise to the mix. Then the visual should sell it. Interesting task. Good luck.

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 2nd, 2006 11:15 PM

Were it me, I'd record secondary/Foley audio. Put a book on a pillow, mic the backside of the pillow, give the book a hard "whack" and record it. Mix it with what you've got already, and it'll fatten up, plus give you more the feel you're after.

Glenn Davidson February 2nd, 2006 11:56 PM

Hey, I like that idea!

Steve House February 3rd, 2006 06:06 AM

As Doug said. Or you could go the route you see in the lab scenes on the CSI TV series. Get a field recorder, a good mic, a pig carcass, a pillow, and a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum ..... <LOL>

Ernesto Mantaras February 5th, 2006 06:26 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for the answers, Sorry for my late reply. I tried some of what you said, but I don't have the fittest equipment to record "live" sound, which would have been a cool thing to add. Can't get the feeling I was looking for. But I've tried some workarounds, it passes as a shot against a body. Sort of.

Still, it's not a matter of life or death. I'll keep looking, but you reccomendations did improve what I had. I'll try to get a better mic, and then record that book and pillow again.

If only I could get a cheap pig carcass...

Bill Hamell February 5th, 2006 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernesto Mantaras

Road kill?
A large dog or deer type animal will work.

Finn Hensner February 19th, 2006 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernesto Mantaras
Hey guys. Thanks for the answers, Sorry for my late reply. I tried some of what you said, but I don't have the fittest equipment to record "live" sound, which would have been a cool thing to add. Can't get the feeling I was looking for. But I've tried some workarounds, it passes as a shot against a body. Sort of.

Still, it's not a matter of life or death. I'll keep looking, but you reccomendations did improve what I had. I'll try to get a better mic, and then record that book and pillow again.

You should have some filtering capabilities in Audition, not sure though... If you have, take whatever shot-pig-noise you could collect and try altering the cut-off frequency in the filter settings. That'll give you something to start with. Good luck!

K. Forman February 19th, 2006 03:54 PM

Mix in a splat sound with your muffled shot.