DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Need shotgun mic for shoot in a week. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/60435-need-shotgun-mic-shoot-week.html)

Travis Maynard February 11th, 2006 02:48 PM

Need shotgun mic for shoot in a week.

This is annoyingly asked 400 times I am sure, but I am very pressed on time and I just need some quick input from someone who knows their stuff about shotgun mics.

I need a shotgun mic for use on a boom and I have a budget of around 200$-250$. The mic doesn't have to have all the latest goodies, as long as it does the job well or "well enough".

I'm using a Canon XL2 and I'll be using the XLR inputs to connect the mic to the camera.

I'm entering a 10 day film festival and I want some better sound then just the camera mounted shotgun that comes with the XL2.

If you have any tips for me that would be appreciated too.

Thanks a lot.

Dan Keaton February 11th, 2006 08:20 PM

I would rent or borrow a Sennheiser MKH-60 with a full Rykote setup and a good boom pole.

The Sennheiser 416 and others will work also.

Depending on what you are filming, lav mikes may also be used, wired or wireless. If you need flexibility, I would first choose the MKH-60 on a boom pole.

Travis Maynard February 11th, 2006 09:27 PM

Thanks a lot for the response.

I'm sure it gets aggravating to hear the same question over and over.

I'll look around for a rental shop and try to pick up the mic you suggested.

Ty Ford February 12th, 2006 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Maynard
This is annoyingly asked 400 times I am sure, but I am very pressed on time and I just need some quick input from someone who knows their stuff about shotgun mics.

I need a shotgun mic for use on a boom and I have a budget of around 200$-250$. The mic doesn't have to have all the latest goodies, as long as it does the job well or "well enough".

I'm using a Canon XL2 and I'll be using the XLR inputs to connect the mic to the camera.

I'm entering a 10 day film festival and I want some better sound then just the camera mounted shotgun that comes with the XL2.

If you have any tips for me that would be appreciated too.

Thanks a lot.

Come On Travis,

Fill us out on the details. What sort of shots are you planning? Inside or out? Do you have a boom person? Are yo planning on mounting the mic on the camera? (hope not).

Regards,

Ty Ford

Travis Maynard February 13th, 2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford
Come On Travis,

Fill us out on the details. What sort of shots are you planning? Inside or out? Do you have a boom person? Are yo planning on mounting the mic on the camera? (hope not).

Regards,

Ty Ford

Yes sir! haha Actually, I haven't planned out any shot yet. I cannot begin anything with the film until tomorrow the 14th at 8pm. That is when I can begin writing and storyboarding out every shot. (They provide us a theme, and until I know what that is I cannot start) The 22nd we begin production. I feel that the shotgun that is mounted on the XL2 isn't up to par with the sound quality that most films will have at this festival. So I need a good boom mic that can pickup clear sound that doesn't sound "distant" or anything.

I have a crew of 6 guys that will help me operate the sound equipment and anything else that needs to be done.

I will NOT be mounting it to the camera. I will be using a boom pole.

Most shots will be indoors, but I wouldn't scratch out the possibility of outdoor shots.

- Travis

Ty Ford February 13th, 2006 09:16 AM

OK,

I'd go with a hypercardioid inside and a hyper or shotgun outside.

I made this little video using a headset mic, lav, hyper and shotgun. Many have found that it clears up the issue of which mic to use in different situations.

It's a 30MB mp4 file. If youwant to see/hear. go to my website and click on the OnLine Archive atop column #2.

Go to the bottom of the next directory and open the VIDEO folder.

Download Mic Tutorial.mp4

Regards,

Ty Ford

Travis Maynard February 14th, 2006 12:35 PM

I'm in class at the moment and I cannot view the video. I will check it out as soon as I get home.

Thanks for the info, Ty.