DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What-No AT4053a any more??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/60449-what-no-at4053a-any-more.html)

Don Bloom February 11th, 2006 06:02 PM

What-No AT4053a any more???

I've been thinking about picking up a hyper and the AT4053a has come to mind but low and behold!!!! I can't seem to find any one that has it anymore. Not anyone. Does anyone know if AT stopped producing it and if so could you recommend a replacement (preferably in the same neighborhood price wise if possible)
Thanks,
I gotta go watch the snow come down ;-(
Don

Matt Stahley February 12th, 2006 02:05 AM

You should check out the AKG SE300b with CK93 hyper cap.

Don Bloom February 12th, 2006 07:34 AM

Thanks Matt,
That looks like it's just what the doctor ordered!

Don

Matt Stahley February 12th, 2006 09:39 AM

Ive been using one for a while now. Im no pro but ive used it in all situations. cam mounted, boomed indoors and out works well for me. much beeter than the ME66 i was using IMO anyway.

Don Bloom February 12th, 2006 01:28 PM

I bet I haven't used my ME66 for 6 months-I've been using the AT897 instead but I feel for a project hopefully coming up that a hypercaroid would be a better choice and after looking at this AKG it seems to be just what I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip.
Don

Ty Ford February 12th, 2006 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom
I've been thinking about picking up a hyper and the AT4053a has come to mind but low and behold!!!! I can't seem to find any one that has it anymore. Not anyone. Does anyone know if AT stopped producing it and if so could you recommend a replacement (preferably in the same neighborhood price wise if possible)
Thanks,
I gotta go watch the snow come down ;-(
Don

Don,

Don't know where you're looking, but a simple google resulted in..

A SLEW of sources. Take your pick.

Ty Ford

Product search results for AT4053a microphone
Audio-Technica AT4053a Hypercardioid studio capacitor ... - $447.95 - A-I Consolidated, Inc.
Audio-Technica AT4053a Hypercardioid Studio Condenser ... - $499.00 - B & H Photo-Video-Pro Audio
Audio Technica AT4053a Hypercardioid Studio Capacitor ... - $499.00 - Front End Audio

Audio-Technica AT4053A Hypercardioid microphone presented by Full ...
Audio-Technica AT4053A AT4053A AT4053A Hypercardioid microphone Small-diaphragm hypercardioid condenser microphone with interchangeable head capsule.
http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/...984/index.html - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

Audio Technica AT4053a Condenser Mic - Bananas.com
Audio Technica AT4053a Condenser Mic for sale at Bananas Musical Instruments and Music Equipment Store. Since 1974, The Lowest Prices with 45 Day Returns ...
http://www.bananas.com/productdetail...-Condenser-Mic - 47k - Cached - Similar pages

Don Bloom February 13th, 2006 06:38 AM

Hi Ty,
I generally always start at B&H then I went to Marketk then Full Compass-also went to GuyGraphics and either didn't find the AT mic OR it was listed as 'out of stock' and when I saw that I figured that AT might not be making it anymore, hence my question.
Thanks
Don

Ty Ford February 13th, 2006 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom
Hi Ty,
I generally always start at B&H then I went to Marketk then Full Compass-also went to GuyGraphics and either didn't find the AT mic OR it was listed as 'out of stock' and when I saw that I figured that AT might not be making it anymore, hence my question.
Thanks
Don

Oh. How about

http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/...984/index.html

Regards,

Ty Ford

Don Bloom February 13th, 2006 07:56 AM

OK, I guess I either missed it OR more than likely I didn't type it in correctly.
Thanks- I'll go clean my glasses now ;-(
Don

Tom Vandas August 22nd, 2006 03:38 PM

Anyone bought an AT4053a lately? Here in th UK all the vendors (the ones I trust) show it as discontinued, though the AT site still has them listed as a current product. I've sent an email, and am waiting for a response.

In the meantime, I haven't had a chance to use the AKG Blueline stuff: is the CK93 really a comparable option, or is the CK63 ULS more comparable (to the 4053a)?

Really, all I want is a hyper I can put on a boom (and I can't afford the Schoeps CMC641).

Ross Jones August 22nd, 2006 04:15 PM

Hyper

I, too, regularly use the AKG 300B/CK93 on a boom for indoor work - into a SD302 - and have had excellent results; I've not used the 4053a so can't comment..
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ty Ford August 22nd, 2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vandas
Anyone bought an AT4053a lately? Here in th UK all the vendors (the ones I trust) show it as discontinued, though the AT site still has them listed as a current product. I've sent an email, and am waiting for a response.

In the meantime, I haven't had a chance to use the AKG Blueline stuff: is the CK93 really a comparable option, or is the CK63 ULS more comparable (to the 4053a)?

Really, all I want is a hyper I can put on a boom (and I can't afford the Schoeps CMC641).

I heard one several years back. It's less than the cmc641 and proportionate in price. It's a good "ain't a Schoeps" mic. A notch above the Oktava mc012.

Regards,

Ty

PS: I got one cmc641 andf a year later got another one so I'd have a matched pair for stereo recording.

Steve House August 23rd, 2006 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford
I heard one several years back. It's less than the cmc641 and proportionate in price. It's a good "ain't a Schoeps" mic. A notch above the Oktava mc012.

Regards,

Ty

PS: I got one cmc641 andf a year later got another one so I'd have a matched pair for stereo recording.

Which comes closer the the Schoeps, do you think - AT4053a or AKG Blueline hyper? Or would you rate them about the same? The At and AKG are very close to each other in price. Any thoughts on the AKG 400 series with CK 63 hyper capsule - price is almost exactly halway between AT4053/AKG Blueline on one hand and Schoeps CMC641 on the other.

Tom Vandas August 23rd, 2006 06:35 AM

Okay, got a reply from AT here in the UK, the 4053a is still available for purchase inspite of vendors stating the opposite. But, for the same money I'm tempted to go with the AKG CK93.