DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Need Help- Is this a decent shotgun mic? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/61022-need-help-decent-shotgun-mic.html)

Drew Meinecke February 18th, 2006 10:38 PM

Need Help- Is this a decent shotgun mic?

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...dd5/index.html

I'm in pre-production of a student film, budget around $4,000. I'm looking for decent equipment for cheap. I found this mic along with boom pole and boom mount for $99. Most of my audio will be from outdoor shots, and I'm using a GL2. Will I get good audio with this? Or will I need to dish out money for a Sennheiser?

Info on Mic:
The ATR55 offers intelligible reproduction for close-, medium-, and long-distance pickup. In its “Tele” range setting, this unidirectional condenser is engineered to pick up dialogue and sound effects at a distance, while bypassing ambient noise such as traffic, air-handling systems, room reverberation and mechanically coupled vibrations. Designed especially for use with video cameras.

Designed especially for use with video cameras

Two range settings: "Normal" for close- to medium-distance recording; "Tele" for long-distance pickup

Permanently-attached 3' (0.9 m) cable terminated with a 3.5 mm mini-plug

Camera-mount, pistol-grip stand clamp, foam windscreen, battery and 1/4" phone plug adapter included

SPECIFICATIONS

ELEMENT Condenser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POLAR PATTERNS "Normal": Cardioid
"Tele": Supercardioid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 70 - 18,000 Hz

OPEN CIRCUIT SENSITIVITY "Normal": -56 dBm, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
"Tele": -45 dBm, 1 kHz at 1 Pa

IMPEDANCE "Normal": 1000 ohms +/- 30%
"Tele": 2200 ohms +/- 30%

WEIGHT 4 oz (113 g)

CABLE 3' (1 m)

Jack D. Hubbard February 19th, 2006 12:55 AM

Mic

Hi Drew:
What kind of outdoor shots are you talking about? Just general ambient sound, or do you need to mic someone? The GL1 does have an onboard mic that should work for some wild sound.

I did a lttle research on the ATF55. Looks like a bargain mic, which may give you bargain sound. You might want to spend some of your budget on an XLR mic adapter and either buy or rent a decent shotgun. Good sound is a huge part of any production and it is the first thing that is noticed when it goes south.

There is a mic adapter that provides 2 XLRs made for the GL1 by Canon, and one made by BeachTek, both in the $200 range if you shop around on the web.

A good shotgun mic will be in the $400 range. I use a Sennheisker ME66 with good results. Or rent one if money is an issue.

I live in the Bay Area. Leo's Pro Audio in Oakland, CA can gives some good pointers. Their number is: 510-652-1553. Also spend about $70 for a good set of headphones. Very important.

Finally, if dollars are really critcal, test the ATF55; do some records, take the test tape on put it on the computer and see if the digitized audio is acceptable.

Jack Hubbard

Jack D. Hubbard February 19th, 2006 01:59 AM

Rode

Drew:

Here is a B & H url for Rode, which makes shotgun mics.

ttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=T&sku=367746&is=REG&addedTroughType=And another for Video Direct, which has a mic mount.

http://www.videodirect.com/Merchant2..._Code=CANCCMIC

Alan Craven February 19th, 2006 02:05 AM

I would go along with Jack for the Sennheiser ME66/K6, though I mainly use the ME67, which is even more directional.

With the GL2 you will need to use the MIC attenuator or the manual audio gain controls, as these mikes are a little "hot".

You can get away without the expensive XLR adaptors, provided the mike is close to the camera, a simple XLR to 2.5 mm jack lead will do, but keep it short.

John Rofrano February 19th, 2006 08:55 AM

The ATR55 is definitely a budget mic. The street price is $50. You don’t get a lot of mic for $50 and nothing will ruin your production quicker than bad audio. I agree with Jack on the Rode Videomic, you might want to consider spending a little more and get the Audio-Technica AT897 shotgun ($250 street price).

No one will want to watch a production with bad audio. If you have a $4000 budget, you should be spending a little more more than $99 to capture 50% of the experience (i.e., the audio!) Think about it.

~jr

Drew Meinecke February 19th, 2006 10:30 AM

The outdoor recording will be a lot of dialogue. Renting isn't an option as production will last for months. I found a site that shows you how to make a PVC shock mount and boom pole, and I plan on doing that. So now I'm looking for a microphone and the other accesories, which I don't really know what they are, because I don't really understand audio. So you don't need an XLR Adaptor? What is it used for? Right now I'm under the impression I need the shotgun mic, shock mount, boom pole, windscreen, and XLR adaptor is optional? I'm hoping I can purchase the audio equipment for less than $500 or $400.

Jack D. Hubbard February 19th, 2006 02:31 PM

XLR adapter

Hi Drew

Yes, you gotta have the XLR adapter on the GL if you are going to use a decent profressional mic. Based on what you are doing you need the XLR, which connects to the boom pole which connects to the mic. If you a doing a lot of dialog you definitely need a good shotgun mic and I would think about the Sennheiser 66 or 67. And because you are outdoors, you will have to have a good wind screen. For your purposes, I would get a Rycote. Don't forget closed, over the ear headphones, so you can accurately head what you are recording.

Estimated Costs:
XLR adapter $200
Shotgun mic $450
Rycote Windjammer $110
Sony Head set $70

Total $870

Sounds like a lot of money, but in your case the whole production relies on good sound. Do the math: No sound = no dialog = no film.

You can do some variations on this, (look at B & H/professional audio/wired mics/shotgun) but I wouldn't be chintzy on the sound. Too much at stake for you. You might be able to get a good used mic on eBay, but be careful if you shop there. Everything else you will probably have to buy new.

Jack

K. Forman February 19th, 2006 02:50 PM

I can't compare it to anything, as it's the only one I have. But, since I didn't have a bunch of cash laying around, it fit my budget, and works much better than the stock mic. At least it captures what is going on in front of the camera, unlike the stock mic. So, my opinion is- It's better than nothing.

Jack D. Hubbard February 19th, 2006 03:07 PM

Ps

Drew,

Just re-read the thread. John's suggestion for the Audio Technica AT897 should work to and save you money for the one item I forgot. A boom pole. I got a low end K-Tek 5.9 foot with a shock mount at DV Expo for $120. Same one, with an internal XLR cable is KE69CC at B & H for $134. I think the internal cable is a good idea. Gitzo has a three section Aluminum pole (no internal wiring) G-556 for $84 at B & H. The shock mount can cost from $70 up (see B & H) so factor in $200. So:

Audio Technia AT 897 $250
K-Tek Pole $134
Shock Mount $75
XLR Adapter $200 (Canon or BeachTek)
Rycote$110
Sony Headset $70

You are looking at $839.

jh

Jack D. Hubbard February 19th, 2006 03:38 PM

Pps

B & H Audio-Technica AT897, universal shock mount, Rycote softie, K-Tek Boompole, universal hand grip, right angle XLR cables. Outta stock right now, but may be worth the wait. $599.95.

Drew Meinecke February 19th, 2006 10:24 PM

http://www.macmoviemaker.com/index.php?id=31

I bought the PVC for this PVC Boom Pole and Shock Mount.
Anyone try anything like that, have any feedback on it? I'm planning on making a belt holder thing so the operator can rest it in their belt.

Marco Wagner February 24th, 2006 09:51 AM

What do you all think of this mic?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

John Rofrano February 24th, 2006 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Wagner

The Rode Videomic is a great little on-camera mic for that price range but it is not low-impedance and therefore cannot have a cord longer than 10-15 feet and even then you are risking noise from interference. It is also not in the same class at the AT897 that is being talked about. For boom work you want a mic with XLR output so you can run long cables without any concern for noise in the signal. Still for what is it, the Rode can’t be beat. I have one and I love it for on-camera work (but I also have an AT897 for boom work or as an on-camera mic for my Sony Z1).

~jr

Marco Wagner February 24th, 2006 10:52 AM

I was thinking of just using it on my camera and camera dolly setup. I'd usually only be a few feet (5-10ft) from the actors in dialog scenes. Do you think that mic would be sufficient?

Steve House February 24th, 2006 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Wagner
I was thinking of just using it on my camera and camera dolly setup. I'd usually only be a few feet (5-10ft) from the actors in dialog scenes. Do you think that mic would be sufficient?

10 feet from the talent is really pushing the limit for any on-camera mic.