DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   uhf versus vhf (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/61585-uhf-versus-vhf.html)

Charles Marshall February 26th, 2006 01:40 PM

uhf versus vhf

is a great vhf wireless system better than a good uhf system on average?

p.s. I will be shooting the documentary overseas

Dan Keaton February 26th, 2006 05:53 PM

It is difficult to answer your question based on how it was worded.

Always choose a UHF system over a VHF system if the design and build qualities are similar. You will be happier with a UHF system due to less radio frequency interference.

Charles Marshall March 4th, 2006 10:29 PM

bredren

thanks , the question might have come off a little vague.

Would it be better to buy a micron/lectrosonics vhf system or a new uhf sennheiser g2 system

Dean Sensui March 4th, 2006 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Marshall
thanks , the question might have come off a little vague.

Would it be better to buy a micron/lectrosonics vhf system or a new uhf sennheiser g2 system

Charles...

I have two Lectrosonic 185 VHF systems and an AT 101 UHF diversity system and all perform the same as far as fidelity and clarity are concerned (very, very good). They're all using Countryman B6 lavs. Of utmost importance is mic placement.

The biggest difference between the Lectrosonic and the AT systems so far is size and battery consumption. The AT system's receiver eats up the NiMH 9v batteries fast. So I power it with an external 12v pack made up of 10 rechargeable AA cells. Not too big. But it will run the receiver for 10 hours. The transmitters are good for about 3 hours on an NiMH 9v battery. The Lectrosonic is slightly better than the AT in terms of energy efficiency.

The Lectrosonic's antenna is a longer than the UHF system, at 11.5 inches.

As for dropouts, both perform ok at the range I usually shoot at which is 20 feet or less.

Shameless plug: I'm considering selling the two Lectrosonic units as I'm purchasing another AT unit.

Charles Marshall March 7th, 2006 08:01 PM

what is a good price for the countryman lavs? should i get two, having one as a backup? and will i need a ta5f connector to fit a lectro?

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 7th, 2006 08:07 PM

Charles, feel free to click Dean's name and email him privately, or perhaps Dean can click your name.
Additionally for Dean or anyone else with products or gear to sell, there is a classifieds forum here at DVInfo.net

Mark Utley March 9th, 2006 09:47 PM

For whatever reason, the classifieds cannot be accessed from the drop-down link list in the bottom-right corner of the page. Just go to the main forum page and scroll down to near the bottom.

Dean Sensui March 10th, 2006 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Marshall
what is a good price for the countryman lavs? should i get two, having one as a backup? and will i need a ta5f connector to fit a lectro?

I think I paid somewhere around $300 for mine. And you can get them pre-wired with the TA5F connector. That will work with either the Lectrosonics or AT systems.

I've never needed a backup yet. But I do carry one. The Countryman mics seem to hold up well. However I don't really subject mine to a lot of tough conditions.