DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   One last Rode question... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/64144-one-last-rode-question.html)

John Dombrowski April 1st, 2006 02:55 PM

One last Rode question...

Looks like I've decided on the NT1 or NT2 from all I have read here. Just one last question on the differences in the two. I know the NT2 is a little longer in size, but do they function and sound the same? What are the differences in the two?

BTW, I have purchased for NT3 for indoor work and wanting one of the two above for outdoors.

Thanks again.......JD

Steve House April 1st, 2006 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dombrowski
Looks like I've decided on the NT1 or NT2 from all I have read here. Just one last question on the differences in the two. I know the NT2 is a little longer in size, but do they function and sound the same? What are the differences in the two?

BTW, I have purchased for NT3 for indoor work and wanting one of the two above for outdoors.

Thanks again.......JD

The NT1 requires external phantom power while the NT2 can run on either an internal battery or on phantom. The extra length of the NT2 is due to the space for the battery. Other than that they are the same mic.

John Dombrowski April 1st, 2006 07:49 PM

What exactly is phantom power as opposed to phantom/battery power and which one is preferred?

Douglas Spotted Eagle April 1st, 2006 09:43 PM

Phantom power is power supplied down the mic cable from your mixer, input device, or some camcorders. It is usually preferable to battery power as it is constant, and most mic's degrade as the battery dies. Sometimes you'll see mics rated on battery and phantom power separately.
When you can use phantom, use it. When you can't, batteries are there.

Bill Mecca April 4th, 2006 09:55 AM

incorrect model numbers maybe?

I use a Rode NT2 studio mic for voice overs, it requires phantom power and there is no place for a battery. The NT1 (current version I think is NT1a) has no switches, the NT2 I have, has a switchable 10db pad, and can go cardiod or omni. The newer version of that is the NT2a, which has even more variable settings.

http://www.rode.com.au/?pagename=Products&product=NT2-A

Matt Ludwig April 4th, 2006 01:49 PM

Bill, I think they've been talking about the Rode NTG1 and NTG2. They're both shotgun mics designed for video. I do understand your confusion because the NT2 and NT1 are both large diaphram condensers. Hope that clears some things up.

Steve House April 4th, 2006 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Ludwig
Bill, I think they've been talking about the Rode NTG1 and NTG2. They're both shotgun mics designed for video. I do understand your confusion because the NT2 and NT1 are both large diaphram condensers. Hope that clears some things up.

Yep, left out the "G"s. My bad.

Marko Urbic September 26th, 2006 07:26 PM

I'm going to hiijack this post for my question as I've read tons of post I've searched here, but I'm no expert and am lost in "cardiodic, hyper, omni..." stuff.

I need a mic to take guests' interviews on a wedding. There will be lots of people changing fast so no lav mic.
Guests will be holding the mic themselves, whichwill be made wireless with the Senn G2 with plug-on transmitter.

Will Rode NT3 be good for the job?
If not, what will do the job in the that price range?

Dave Largent September 26th, 2006 07:36 PM

Definately not NT3.

Jarrod Whaley September 27th, 2006 01:02 AM

Marko--

You'll probably want a dynamic mic for handheld use. You should probably be able to get a fairly decent one for less $$$ than you'd spend on a condenser.

Marko Urbic September 27th, 2006 02:45 AM

So I'm not on the right track, glad I asked. :)
Thanks for the tip.

Steve House September 27th, 2006 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marko Urbic
I'm going to hiijack this post for my question as I've read tons of post I've searched here, but I'm no expert and am lost in "cardiodic, hyper, omni..." stuff.

I need a mic to take guests' interviews on a wedding. There will be lots of people changing fast so no lav mic.
Guests will be holding the mic themselves, whichwill be made wireless with the Senn G2 with plug-on transmitter.

Will Rode NT3 be good for the job?
If not, what will do the job in the that price range?

I'll second Jorod's recommendation of a hand-held dynamic mic. Electrovoice and Shure both have several "reporter's mics" that would work very weel in this situation. Condenser mics usually require a delicate hand to minimize handling noises, something that's going to be a problem with the mic being put in the hands of "civilians." Dynamic mics are inherently a bit less sensitive to handling and those designed for ENG use often have internal shock-mounts and pop-filters for the capsule to further help silence noise.

The omni, cardioid, hyper.. "thing" relates to the pickup pattern of the mic ... Omni being a sphere, cardioid being a pushed-in hemisphere heart-shaped in cross section. hypercardioid being more like a tear drop with the pointy-end pushed in, etc. A visit to the downloadable documentation section on the Shure website or a scan of Wikipedia can turn up detailed explanations with pictures.

Marko Urbic September 27th, 2006 04:56 AM

Thanks for the detailed info.
Much appreciated!