DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Mic Shootouts ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/64609-mic-shootouts.html)

Steve House April 12th, 2006 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Thames
So are shotguns hypercardioids are are they not? Does shotgun = hypercardioid?

FYI, you may also hear the term "supercardioid" applied to shotguns. Strictly speaking, hypercardioid or supercardioid are terms that describe the shape of the pickup pattern of the mic, its polar pattern, with the difference between hyper and super being the angle subtended by the front lobe. Going from wide to narrow, the order is omni, cardioid, hypercardioid, supercardioid. "Shotgun" is a term relating more to the physical shape of the mic itself since the interference tube design that many supercardioids use to achieve their directivity gives the mic a shotgun-like appearance. The typical shotgun pickup pattern could be called supercardioid with narrow side and rear lobes.

Stu Holmes April 12th, 2006 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Redford
I vote a big YES for a lav test. I agree in adding the Sony ECM 55/66 and also suggest the AT831 since Spot has given that lav so much press and it's a directional lav -- a couple hypers such as the NT3 and AT4053a would be great to compare as well. ;) Would also second the review of a Giant Squid omni.

I may be wrong on this, but doing the lav test in a live room instead of a studio would make the test more useful IMHO. I think the ability of the lav to handle echo is just as relevant as its sound quality. The shotgun test made a lot of sense in a studio since shotguns are typically used in places of low reflection (e.g. outside or in a studio), and I'd probably use my best shotgun if I was in a studio. So consider a live room since that may make the testing easier and the results more helpful. Anyone agree? Disagree? (Like I have to ask ;)

Thanks Guy for your consideration in doing another excellent review, Shawn

I agree with shawn that a 'normal room' test instead of (or as well as?!?) a studio test would make it far more Real World for us. Also it would make it easier for Guy to arrange as he wouldn't have to beg/steal any studio time !!
close-ups of the mics of course, and also perhaps an opinion on the different clips etc. that the mics use and which is better designed for avoiding clothing rustles etc would also be useful.

Ty Ford April 12th, 2006 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Redford
Stu - I thought the dvestore shootout was very impressive and the best of all the shootouts. Having the video and audio was so helpful just to see what was happening. I really hope that they will consider doing more mic comparisons. As far as this being a sticky, I would think that the moderators would be glad to have anything that might alleviate the next "Which shotgun should I get?" question. ;) Thanks, Shawn

I have audio and video clips of different mics up in my online archive. Help yourself.

Ty Ford

Graham Bernard April 13th, 2006 12:30 AM

There are several most excellent demos and tutes about our craft on the INTERNET. Ty's is WAY up there . . and done with not a little good humour too.

Ty? Excellent!

Grazie

Ty Ford April 13th, 2006 06:52 AM

I serve at the pleasure of DV Info Net. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Matt Davis April 17th, 2006 11:22 AM

lav test - great idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Cochran
Any other models in the $100-$400 range?

Don't forget the Sanken COS-11! A great alternative to the ECM-77.

Christopher Witz January 15th, 2009 07:16 AM

did this ever happen?

Dan Brockett January 15th, 2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Redford (Post 460598)
I don't know about you, but I have found these mic shootouts to be very useful. It might even be worthwhile making this a sticky. The only thing is that while Shotguns are often tested, I cannot find any sort of a Lav Shootout or much in the way of Hypercardioid Shootouts. A lot of people here recommend the AT899 or AT4053a, but it would be great to compare the AT899 to a Countryman B3 or even a Giant Squid, etc. -- so I would encourage anyone with a lot of lav or hypercardioid mics to do a similar shootout - it would really fill a missing gap. If you know of other online mic shootouts that include downloadable audio or video comparisions, please post the Mics reviewed and the link. Thanks, Shawn

Hi Shawn:

You might find these two articles helpful. I wasn't able to include every mic on the market but I included a pretty healthy cross section of what is on the market, the shotgun/cardioid article includes breakdowns on eleven mics and the lavalier article includes breakdowns on sixteen of the most popular lavalier microphones. All of these reviews included multiple samples recorded under diverse circumstances.

There are some comparisons of how all of the lavaliers intercut between the Sanken CS-3e and the Schoeps CMC641 with audio samples as well in the lav article.

Hypercardioid/Shotgun Review/Test
As I Hear It - Choosing the Right Microphone

Lavalier Review/Test
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/lavs_brockett.html

Enjoy!

Dan