DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Lavalier Mic Cable Length? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/64720-lavalier-mic-cable-length.html)

Matt Gabor April 9th, 2006 07:50 PM

Lavalier Mic Cable Length?

I recently purchased the Audio-Technica Pro 88W lavalier system and I'm about to buy a couple Omnidirectional Mono Microphones from Giant Squid. Darren sells mic cable lengths ranging from 1ft - 5ft. I haven't used lavaliers before (just a shotgun). I will only be using these mics connected to the Pro88W body pack. Do any of you have recommendations about the best mic cable length for use with a body pack?

Thanks in advance...

Tom Bolia April 9th, 2006 09:05 PM

If these are lavalier mics, I would imagine that 2 ft should be sufficient. It's only going to be clipped on around the chest area, and the transmitter is probably stuck on an inside pocket. Two feet might even be more than you really need.

Seth Bloombaum April 9th, 2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Bolia
If these are lavalier mics, I would imagine that 2 ft should be sufficient. It's only going to be clipped on around the chest area, and the transmitter is probably stuck on an inside pocket. Two feet might even be more than you really need.

Strongly disagreeing on this. Most often I and the people I work with clip the transmitter to a belt at the waist.

Lengths of 3' are common for this, 4' give a little more versatility at the expense of having to sometimes make a little coil of extra cable.

Tom Bolia April 9th, 2006 09:26 PM

No problem Seth. Again, I usually stick the transmitter inside of the groom/pastor's suit/tuxedo. I am not sure how Matt wishes to do it, but three feet still seems awfully long to go from the front of the chest area down to the side, or even the back. I also imagine that the groom may feel uncomfortable wearing something extra around his waist, but then again, I have not been in that situation. :o)

Matt Gabor April 9th, 2006 09:42 PM

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I'm leaning towards 3' because the mics will be used (at least initially) for a two week documentary shoot involving a lot of "walk and talk" type setups. I'm guessing that I will clip the transmitter to the subject's belt because I will have a different subject each day and can't guarantee a chest-level pocket.

Tom Bolia April 9th, 2006 09:47 PM

No problem, Matt. I was not sure how you had planned on using the mics, and since I have only used my on weddings, the extra length seemed odd for me. :o)

Seth Bloombaum April 9th, 2006 10:07 PM

Got it - I can see how a short length would be good if you could depend on a suit coat inside breast pocket. It is a hassle to deal with extra cable length.

Most often I'm dealing with corporate presenters who prefer the transmitter on the belt even if they are wearing a coat.

Daniel Wang April 9th, 2006 10:11 PM

Too much before too little.

Wow...I have normally 4' on my countryman e6's ("invisible" headsets) and 5' on my Sony ECM66's. My Trams, cam with 2', but I had the guys at Trew Audio buld me a 4' extension. Whyyy you ask?

I'd rather have too much than too little. I find myself using a lav on one of a "larger" stature, and having too little, stressing the connector, can damage the mic and/or transmitter. Before, on older my Audio Technica 100's the lav connector was terrible, I hated it. I always left at least 2" slack so the thing wouldnt crackle or pop. Always leave an extra foot, loosely coiled up for movement - if mounted on the belt. Too much is better than not enough.

Matt Gabor April 10th, 2006 10:21 AM

Having additional length makes sense to me. I'm a total audio novice, so I wasn't sure if I wasn't going to reduce audio quality due to a longer unbalanced cable. I'm thinking I'll go for the longer cable length and will put a velcro cable strap on each cable so I can hang a coil off of the belt.

Oleg Kaizerman April 13th, 2006 04:53 AM

if you will have to clip the tx inside the boot or on the ankle ( what not so unusual for female with tight jeans and small t shirt keep the cable 5 feet