DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Shotgun and wireless mics for A1U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/67423-shotgun-wireless-mics-a1u.html)

Jarle Jorgensen May 15th, 2006 02:20 PM

Shotgun and wireless mics for A1U

Hi All,

I am about to purchase the Sony A1U, and will need a good, but not too expensive shotgun and wireless system. My documentary project will take me around the US, interviewing people in all types of conditions. I am new to video, and all the forums and reviews I have read, confuse me.

I would appreciate any information, and web links with regards to this topic.

I do appreciate all the input I can get.

Peace,

Jarle

Alex Thames May 15th, 2006 03:03 PM

For the shotgun, get the Rode NTG-1 or NTG-2, identical mics except the NTG-2 is longer so that it can use battery power as well as phantom power. The NTG-1 is phantom power only. They are inexpensive and outperform mics in its range as well as argubably those twice as expensive.

Jarle Jorgensen May 15th, 2006 05:28 PM

Hi Alex,

Thanks very much for your reply, highly appreciate this. I did some browsing earlier here on dvinfo, and that seemed to be the one to get. Guess it would be better to get the NTG-2, since it is not phantom powered, and thus, won't use the camcorder battery.

Cheers,

Jarle

Michael Stowe May 15th, 2006 05:40 PM

Alex...is the Rode designed more for indoors or outdoors? I was under the impression it was better suited for outdoors and the ME-64 is better for indoors. Any info you could give is appreciated.

Thx

Alex Thames May 15th, 2006 07:49 PM

That's right. Shotguns are better outdoors generally, and hypercardioid and cardioid are generally better indoors.

As far as battery vs. phantom, while battery may be convenient, I think they also provide a lower quality audio recording? Not sure, check to make sure.

Jarle Jorgensen May 15th, 2006 09:01 PM

thanks Alex,
I will check out what I can find with regards to the battery, and how that may play a role in the recording. Do you know anything about the Røde VideoMic?
http://www.rode.com.au/?pagename=Pro...5dd317e4b94353

This seems like an interesting product, or?

All best,

Jarle

Jarle Jorgensen May 15th, 2006 10:13 PM

Glad that my post may provide some debate...

being a total novice in the video and microphone world, I find it interesting to get differnet points of view from people who have been in the industry for a longer time, who know way more about the technical specifications, and where and what the different microphones, are useful for. One can get frustrated and confused looking for microphones, which I practically have been doing now for the last few days...spending too much time on this, one may say...

My presence here on this Information Network is quite new. Searching around the internet, for good reviews and information with regards to shotgun microphones and wireless systems, are difficult to locate. And with one person saying this is good, and others saying something else, and new commer like I, get totally confused.

I wish that several pros, and people who have been in the industry for some time, would be given the time and equipment to test and provide good reviews of the different mics. I have been able to find one review, which covers less expensive shotgun mics, less than $500 (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...gun_mics.html), which falls into my category.

Be well,

Jarle

Alex Thames May 15th, 2006 11:01 PM

There is a mic shootout thread in the audio section somewhere that has actual audio clips comparing several different mics, among them the Rode NTG mic and the Senn. ME66. It seems to me that the Rode sounds better, and for less money. For that reason and with the backing of many others, I got the Rode. It wasn't so much an issue of expense. Simply put, I found the Rode to be better quality. Furthermore, the whole indoor/outdoor thing? I'm no expert, but in my own experience, I have found it to be true. Maybe this is a placebo effect of the reading I've done here?

In any case, I have tried numerous shotguns indoors compared to my Senn. ME64 cardioid, and every time my ME64 sounds much better than the shotguns. Note that the shotguns were placed nearby the sound source as well, while the cardioid was much farther. I'm not even talking about distortion, I'm simply talking about the overall feel of the sound recorded, and personally, I'd take the ME64 recording indoors over any shotgun recording I've had.

Now, outdoors, the ME64 also sounds acceptable, but I'd still go with a shotgun outdoors.

Michael Stowe May 16th, 2006 12:48 AM

I do believe that having thousands to spend on Mics will solve everyones problems. That being said and assuming most are like me and do not have that money I will say this. These boards are extremely helpful when you take them for what they are. A mix between fact, fiction and opinion (up to you to decifer which is which). I like the posts that don't give expert opinions but rather personal experience. To me that means more because I take them to be sincere and wanting the same thing I want. It is easy to read a professional article from a newsgroup and basically feed that back, but personal experience from someone in a similar situation as me is what matters most. That being said...what is great for one person will not be great for another. What sucks outdoors or indoors for one person will probably not be noticable to the average person. The real question is....are you being to picky for what you are shooting?

I get that way :-)

John Grzinich May 16th, 2006 06:32 AM

Applications

There are different mics for different applications. That's why it's good to have a range of mics on hand, even if it's a shotgun and tie-clip for doing interviews. If you pick up a "general purpose" mic than you'll probably get generally good results (don't forget technique).

I've been thinking to get a Rode VideoMic for my A1U for "general purposes" (and because I don't always have a second person around to operate a boom-shotgun rig).

As far a weather goes, I'm not sure how extreme people get, but for 5 years I've used a basic Audio-Technica AT-22 stereo mic for recording ambient sounds in temperatures from -30C to +45C, in rain, snow and sun, indoors and out and the thing has held up just fine. The main problem is always fighting with the wind...

Chris Hurd May 16th, 2006 09:13 AM

Okay, I've just ripped out a number of flaming posts which contained serious personal attacks, which of course are *never* tolerated here. I'd like to remind everybody that the proper way to handle what you perceive to be a personal attack, is to click the "report bad post" button on the left side of screen. Don't respond to it with a follow-up of your own, it'll just get removed as well.

There was a very sorry accusation that somebody here was shilling for a manufacturer. I don't appreciate those accusations one bit. But if you're so convinced that it is happening, then contact me and I'll handle it. After all it is my problem not yours.

There will be *no* flaming on this site. Period. I'll lock an account in a heartbeat for that.

Topic remains open for now.

Floris van Eck May 18th, 2006 06:11 PM

I am using the Rode NTG-2 which I am totally satisfied with. It sounds great, comes with the SM-3 shockmount and a windshield. I would pick the NTG-2 over the NTG-1 anyday as it can be used with batteries. This is handy when you have no phantom power on your camera. The microphone has flawless sound outdoors, as well as indoors when there is a lot of noise/music. If there is only one voice or sound source, it sounds a little bit bouncy indoors.

Jarle Jorgensen May 18th, 2006 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
I am using the Rode NTG-2 which I am totally satisfied with. It sounds great, comes with the SM-3 shockmount and a windshield. I would pick the NTG-2 over the NTG-1 anyday as it can be used with batteries. This is handy when you have no phantom power on your camera. The microphone has flawless sound outdoors, as well as indoors when there is a lot of noise/music. If there is only one voice or sound source, it sounds a little bit bouncy indoors.

Thanks for your feedback Floris. I have been looking at the NTG-2, with the SM-3. I am glad that you are able to enjoy the microphone. Have you been using an extra softie outside of the windshield, such as the Rode deadcat or the Rycote medium hole softie? Can you explain the bouncy sound indoors, not sure if I follow you.

Thanks again.

Jarle

Floris van Eck May 19th, 2006 11:41 AM

If you use the Rode NTG-2, or basically any other shotgun microphone indoors, you get the infamous "empty box" sound. Or hollow sound in other words. This is the result of the sound bouncing from the walls. Hypercardoids or cardoids are less directional and thus this effect is practically gone. I am going to buy the Rode NT-3 at a later point in time to complement the NTG-2. THe NT-3 will then be my indoor microphone and the NTG-2 my outdoor microphone. But the NTG-2 is far better indoors then any onboard microphone. I also found that at parties or birthdays (places with sound coming from many directions), the "empty box" effect is virtually gone. I use the windshield that came with the NTG-2, which is simple but effective. I am going to buy the Rode Deadcat, but when I placed an order for a camera bag, it was out of stock.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Maukka Pasanen May 19th, 2006 04:08 PM

I am using Sony A1 with Rode NTG-1 shotgun for outdoor shoots and Rode NT-3 for indoor interviews where the subject is not moving. The two mikes seem ideal for my purposes, and they were both very reasonably priced. These two mikes are VERY good value for the money.

Regards,
Maukka