DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Suggestions for basic field recording setup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/68009-suggestions-basic-field-recording-setup.html)

Carlos E. Martinez June 14th, 2006 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
"As far as I know they are real condensers."

You can download the Blue Line data sheet here:

http://www.akg.com/products/powersla...uage,ENUS.html

It says "all models prepolarized condenser capsules." That's code for electret.

Then they are really on a league of their own. Because it's the only mic than can compare, sound-wise, with brands like Neumann, Schoeps and Sennheiser.

Marco Leavitt June 15th, 2006 07:44 AM

I've been pretty impressed with the CK93 for the price as well. Check out the frequency response chart at the Web site. Now that's flat. The AT4053 is supposed to be amazing for the price as well though, but I don't have any experience with it. Comparing the specs, the AT4053 looks to be more even off axis, but there's some bumps in the frequency response. I don't know how much difference that really makes in practical use.

David Tamés June 15th, 2006 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew de Jongh
[...] i would stick with a 302 and whichever 7 series recorder best fits your needs [...]

I want to underscore this suggestion, after years of working with minimal equipment consisting of a single shotgun and a Tram-50 lav (or a sound person who brought all of their own gear), I recently started doing more sound work and as a result purchased a Sound Devices 302 mixer. I'm very happy with it, it's quiet, small, versatile, and robust. You really have to spend a lot more to find a better mixer, it's the ultimate balance between portability and professional performance. If your needs grow, there's always the Sound Devices 422 mixer.

Dave Largent June 15th, 2006 08:45 AM

I haven't used a 302 but what seems nice
about it is that it allows for a basic
setup of 2 wireless lavs and 1 boom.

Berns Ortiz June 15th, 2006 09:35 AM

Yes I'm going for the SD 302 mixer for sure. I'm still debating between the tascam HD-P2 and the SD 702T recorder. I need at least sync to timecode, but the 702 T just goes double up n more the price of the HD-P2. They both have more or less the same functionality. I know the 702T is a better product, but I can't justify the price difference.

Steve House June 15th, 2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berns Ortiz
Yes I'm going for the SD 302 mixer for sure. I'm still debating between the tascam HD-P2 and the SD 702T recorder. I need at least sync to timecode, but the 702 T just goes double up n more the price of the HD-P2. They both have more or less the same functionality. I know the 702T is a better product, but I can't justify the price difference.

The Tascam accepts timecode from a TC source such as a camera with a TC out but does not generate code on its own. The SD702T OTOH actually has its own TC clock. Sound Device's uses a timecode module supplied by Ambient so they are rock solid.

Marco Leavitt June 15th, 2006 10:39 AM

Tough choice ain't it? The Edirol R4 looks pretty cool too, although I have a feeling if that if I had all those extra tracks people would just get lazy and start demanding we put wireless on everybody, so I almost don't want to give them that option. :) I can say that with audio every time I compromised on a lesser purchase I ended up regretting it down the road. I'm just drooling over the 702t, but that's a pretty big outlay.

Marco Leavitt June 15th, 2006 10:39 AM

Tough choice ain't it? The Edirol R4 looks pretty cool too, although I have a feeling if that if I had all those extra tracks people would just get lazy and start demanding we put wireless on everybody, so I almost don't want to give them that option. :) I can say that with audio every time I compromised on a lesser purchase I ended up regretting it down the road. I'm just drooling over the 702t, but that's a pretty big outlay.

Marco Leavitt June 15th, 2006 10:40 AM

Marco Leavitt June 15th, 2006 10:41 AM

Sorry, I'm all thumbs today. Can those extra posts be deleted?

Michael Brady June 15th, 2006 01:11 PM

Guys being doing some research and there is a new Edorolo r4 pro due out in sept price rrp $2300 or thereabouts but being sold for $2000 Could go lower who knows. Someone said the reviews of the original (now reduced so look hard) did not speak well of pre amps. The new ones have timecode!!! i am new to all this but if it helps that is the info. I just browse over this stuff. dont even know yet if i even need it. Wondered how manufacturers can justify charging $1ooo just for timecode re sound devices??

I suppose sound devices have the reputation.

Michael

Steve House June 15th, 2006 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brady
Guys being doing some research and there is a new Edorolo r4 pro due out in sept price rrp $2300 or thereabouts but being sold for $2000 Could go lower who knows. Someone said the reviews of the original (now reduced so look hard) did not speak well of pre amps. The new ones have timecode!!! i am new to all this but if it helps that is the info. I just browse over this stuff. dont even know yet if i even need it. Wondered how manufacturers can justify charging $1ooo just for timecode re sound devices??

I suppose sound devices have the reputation.

Michael

Sound Devices use timecode modules from Ambient - if you price a stand-alone module like a Lockit box direct from Ambient or a timecode slate like from Denke you'll find they are in that same kilobuck or better price range all by themselve. Guess that's the price we pay for the combination of high quality devices in a market with small enough numbers that large production runs aren't justified.

Marco Leavitt June 15th, 2006 01:16 PM

SoundDevices is truly professional gear. I don't think their hard disk recorders are overpriced at all. Have you checked prices on a Deva?

Michael Brady June 15th, 2006 01:28 PM

Yes i must say i have not hear one bad word from anyone with regard the sound devices mixers or recorders i guess you do really get what you pay for.

Thanks for the returned info though. Sometimes when you purchase anything these days it can be a gamble so in many respects the sound devices just reomoves that gamble but you pay a a bit more for it.

Strange when pricing these items that unlike some makes of mics that in the uk are comparable to exchange rate with $ The mixers and field recorders are way much dearer in UK. The 302 mixer at $1200 is priced in UK at £1200. Excuse any ignorance since i am new to all this bit it might be worth buying it over in america or getting a relative to purchase it for me. Am i missing something? Michael

Steve House June 15th, 2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
SoundDevices is truly professional gear. I don't think their hard disk recorders are overpriced at all. Have you checked prices on a Deva?

LOL - I'll take two ... at what, $15000 each base price! SD suddenly seems MUCH more reasonable.