DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Red, blue, left, right? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/68214-red-blue-left-right.html)

Ralf Strandell May 26th, 2006 05:42 AM

Red, blue, left, right?

Hi,

An embarrassingly trivial question:

Could someone remind me of whioch one is the left channel?
Blue or red? I would guess blue, but I'm not sure.
And which one is usually sent to CH1 input?

Greg Boston May 26th, 2006 05:52 AM

Ralf,

I don't know about blue, but typically it is Red for right channel and White for left channel. I remember it by saying to myself that 'red' and 'right' both begin with the letter 'r'.

Hope this helps,

-gb-

A. J. deLange May 26th, 2006 06:27 AM

I use the same mnemonic as Greg but I'm a little troubled by your question because component video connectors are usually color coded Blue, Red and Green. Are you sure you have got the end of the right cable?

Steve House May 26th, 2006 06:48 AM

There's connector colours and there's cable colours. For a stereo pair, the connector colours are Red for Right and White for Left. But just to make things interesting, within a pair+shield cable such as a mic cable with XLRs on each end or a blanced patch cable with two 1.4" TRS connectors there's a red wire and one of another color (black or white). The red wire goes to the tip of a TRS connector or pin 2 of an XLR connector. The black or white wire goes to the ring of the TRS or pin 3 of an XLR. Stereo plugs are TRS but the TIP is the left channel and the ring is the right. So consider a common TRS stereo to RCA stereo pair adapter. The TRS tip connects to the red wire in the cable which goes to the white RCA plug while the TRS ring connects to the white wire in the cable which goes to the red RCA plug! That's when I haul out the ohmeter and check for sure to make sure I've got it right and the cable is wired correctly. A few months ago I bought a 3-pack of TRS stereo jack to stereo pair RCA plug adapters - with two of them the jack's tip went to the white, left RCA plug and the ring to the red RCA. But on one of them it was reversed with the jack's tip to the red RCA plug and the ring to the white. Moral of the story - always double check with a meter!.

Gian Pablo Villamil May 26th, 2006 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralf Strandell
Hi,

An embarrassingly trivial question:

Could someone remind me of whioch one is the left channel?
Blue or red? I would guess blue, but I'm not sure.
And which one is usually sent to CH1 input?

Right = red = channel 2.

A. J. deLange May 26th, 2006 04:11 PM

Just thought of another mnemonic beloved of sailors: "Red buoy right returning."

Ralf Strandell May 27th, 2006 11:34 AM

Thanks! Your great help made life a little easier, again.

A.J, this cable has a female 5 pin XLR connector on one end and two 3 pin male XLR connectors on the other end. It is used to connect an AT825ST one-point X/Y stereo mic to a small camcorder (PDX-10). I'll try to provide a little more detail next time.