DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Converting a radio lav mic to a wired lav mic? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/68331-converting-radio-lav-mic-wired-lav-mic.html)

Robb Bradstock May 28th, 2006 08:24 AM

Converting a radio lav mic to a wired lav mic?

Hi, I have a sennheiser 100 series radio mic unit with a lav mic. The lav mic connects to the transmitter unit with a jack and screw thread. Is there some type of converter that I can use to connect this mic to an XLR lead to make it wired? Thanks

Steve House May 29th, 2006 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb Bradstock
Hi, I have a sennheiser 100 series radio mic unit with a lav mic. The lav mic connects to the transmitter unit with a jack and screw thread. Is there some type of converter that I can use to connect this mic to an XLR lead to make it wired? Thanks

I'd suggest you contact Sennheiser technical support directly. That mic might have specific power requirements that a simple adapter wouldn't provide. Senn could tell you exactly what would be needed (and safe).

Stewart Menelaws May 29th, 2006 05:21 AM

Quote:

Hi Robb - the convertor used to take you from the 3.5 mini jack to XLR is via the Sennheiser MZA 900 P and cost approx £80.00+ Vat in the UK - This unit reduces the 48v supplied by the camera/mixer down to I think 7.2v for those type of Sennheiser Lav mics.

Regards: Stu...
www.studioscotland.co.uk

David Ennis May 29th, 2006 06:42 AM

Condenser mics need a power supply. The G2 transmitter supplies 9V to the lav mic.

Anthony Marotti May 29th, 2006 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Retread
Condenser mics need a power supply. The G2 transmitter supplies 9V to the lav mic.

Hello,

I have an Azden 200ULT system and want to get better lav mics for it. They require 5-9VDC and it is supplied by the Transmitter. The Jack on the mic looks like a normal mini mono 3.5mm plug.

2 Questions:

1) How does the transmitter supply the power to the mic (center post?)?

2) How do I know what lav mics are compatible with my system?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

AM

Dave Largent May 29th, 2006 08:10 AM

Quote:

I have found that an MD will power the standard
G2 lav (ME2) but an iRiver will not, despite both
of them offering "plug-in power".

David Ennis May 29th, 2006 09:16 AM

My Sony MD and my Panasonic GS200 camcorder both put out 2.3V to the mic jack. And yes, my MD does power the ME2. It seems weird that the iRiver won't power the mic--I can't imagine a device being designed to put out much less than 2.3 volts. I wonder if it's a jack/plug mismatch.

The G2 uses a TRS jack and plug. The 9V is applied only between tip and sleeve. Meanwhile, my Sony MD applies the 2.3V both between the tip and sleeve and between the ring and sleeve.

David Ennis May 29th, 2006 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Marotti
Hello,

I have an Azden 200ULT system and want to get better lav mics for it. They require 5-9VDC and it is supplied by the Transmitter. The Jack on the mic looks like a normal mini mono 3.5mm plug.

2 Questions:

1) How does the transmitter supply the power to the mic (center post?)?

2) How do I know what lav mics are compatible with my system?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

AM

Anthony, I have several short cables with connectors on both ends. One of them has TRS (three section) plugs and the other has TS (two section) plugs. With these I can use a multimeter to see what my devices supply for voltage. That, together with looking at the plugs on the mics that came with my various devices, or mics that I know work with a device tell me what other mics I can use.

Dave Largent May 29th, 2006 09:27 AM

I tried to measure the volts output of an iRiver
but was not successful, using a voletmeter.
(Can't say it wasn't due to operator error.)
I have heard that the iRiver *does* provide
plug-in power.
Anyone here who is handy with electronics who could
measure the plug-in power of an iRiver?

Anthony Marotti May 29th, 2006 09:50 AM

Quote:

Anthony, I have several short cables with connectors on both ends. One of them has TRS (three section) plugs and the other has TS (two section) plugs. With these I can use a multimeter to see what my devices supply for voltage. That, together with looking at the plugs on the mics that came with my various devices, or mics that I know work with a device tell me what other mics I can use.

Gotcha, thanks!

I can see finding out what current is coming out of the transmitter, but you would need information from the mic manufacturer to let you know the way their plug was wired. That doesn't seem readily available.

It would be nice if there were a compatibility chart somewhere :-)

Thanks Fred !!

Steve House May 29th, 2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Marotti
Gotcha, thanks!

I can see finding out what current is coming out of the transmitter, but you would need information from the mic manufacturer to let you know the way their plug was wired. That doesn't seem readily available.

It would be nice if there were a compatibility chart somewhere :-)

Thanks Fred !!

There is ...

Countryman has a chart for their excellent series of lav mics on their web site that lists the plug options and the wireless transmitters they're compatible with.

Anthony Marotti May 29th, 2006 10:31 AM

Excellent!

Robb Bradstock May 29th, 2006 11:45 AM

Re lav to XLR

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart Menelaws
Hi Robb - the convertor used to take you from the 3.5 mini jack to XLR is via the Sennheiser MZA 900 P and cost approx £80.00+ Vat in the UK - This unit reduces the 48v supplied by the camera/mixer down to I think 7.2v for those type of Sennheiser Lav mics.

www.studioscotland.co.uk

Thanks, Stewart I'm assuming that conversion will be as balanced as a totally wired lav, correct? Robb

David Ennis May 29th, 2006 12:20 PM

The MZA 900P output is definitely balanced, but do be aware that it has to be fed phantom power.

Robb Bradstock May 29th, 2006 12:52 PM

Mza 900p

Thanks Fred, Do you know where's the best place to get the converter in the US? Regard Robb

David Ennis May 29th, 2006 01:00 PM

In my opinion (and that of many others) one of the best places in the US to get any photo, video or audio equipment is at B&H (bhphotovideo.com)

Robb Bradstock May 29th, 2006 01:07 PM

Thanks for the B&H info, Robb

Stewart Menelaws May 29th, 2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Stewart I'm assuming that conversion will be as balanced as a totally wired lav, correct? Robb

Fred beat me to it.... We had to put in a special order to get a couple of these units... if you have probs getting them from the States, let me know and I can give you the details of a couple of places you can order one in the UK.

www.studioscotland.co.uk

Robb Bradstock May 31st, 2006 11:42 AM

Hi Stewart, Great to have help from both side of the Atlantic!! I'll get back to you if I have problems getting the unit. Thanks Robb