DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Which program do you actually use? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/68973-program-do-you-actually-use.html)

Lars Siden June 6th, 2006 07:09 AM

Which program do you actually use?

When you work with the soundfiles in the computer?

Wavelab
Audio Cleaning Lab 200(Magix)
Built In Vegas / PPro
Audition

Basic stuff that I do regular are:

1. Mix mono to stereo
2. Remove unwanted noise like wind or background noise
3. Amplify
4. Some EQ changes

Does anyone have good profiles for Vegas? Like filter profiles for cutting different sounds etc?

I tend to use Vegas as much as possible - going to wavelab some times. Audition is to messy, IMHO!

// Lazze

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 6th, 2006 07:18 AM

personally, I use Sound Forge, Vegas, Audition, and PEAK.
What you're looking to do can be done by most any DAW software tho.
If you have Ultimate S 2.0 for Vegas, it's filled with presets.

Chris Luker June 6th, 2006 12:52 PM

At work, Sonar and Audition on a PC. At home/play, Protools on a Mac.
For what you're doing, I would use Audition 1.5 (2.0 sucks- feels like a beta).
My $.02

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 6th, 2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Luker
For what you're doing, I would use Audition 1.5 (2.0 sucks- feels like a beta).
My $.02

If you have Audition already, I agree. Audition 2.0 seems unstable and just "isn't there."

Lars Siden June 6th, 2006 01:04 PM

I have audition v2 - it was included in the Video Premiere package. I have big probs just getting my way around the program.

I'm thinking about giving Vegas some more time and build some filter profiles there, so I can use them as "templates" for specialized editing.

Beeing a .NET developer - Vegas feels like home :-)

// Lazze

ps. I tested the trial of SONAR before I bought Cubase Studio Pack 2, Sonar is IMHO freak of nature speaking of using the GUI ds.

Lars Siden June 6th, 2006 02:06 PM

Tonight I installed Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 2005 - a real cheap piece of software ( 35-40 USD ).

I'm very impressed by how easily I could remove hissing, wind and tape noise. The program can read sound from numerous sources, for instance directly from an AVI file.

I got the program last x-mas, haven't really tried it out until now .... better late than never!

// Lazze

Mark Fry June 7th, 2006 09:52 AM

Does anyone have any experience of how Magix Audio Cleaning Lab compares with other programs for reducing background noise? £17 for the down-load version looks like a bargin, but how well does it work? What do other people use?

I have some DV footage with a wind-noise problem: my new Rode VideoMic is rather too hot for my cheapo Canon MVX350i (the XM1 was being repaired). I spent a couple of windy days shooting steam trains on the West Somerset Railway and although I have the Rode "Dead Cat" wind gag and the mic's high-pass filter was switched on, they made little difference. The pictures are good, but the sound-track sounds horrid on the TV and unbearable through decent speakers! I'd like to try and rescue it, as far as possible (I know it'll never be brilliant...)

I also have some old shots with camera motor rumble, low frequency hum and other similar problems. Isn't it amazing what you start to hear when you get some proper monitors?

Jaadgy Akanni June 7th, 2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Fry
Does anyone have any experience of how Magix Audio Cleaning Lab compares with other programs for reducing background noise? £17 for the down-load version looks like a bargin, but how well does it work? What do other people use?

I have some DV footage with a wind-noise problem: my new Rode VideoMic is rather too hot for my cheapo Canon MVX350i (the XM1 was being repaired). I spent a couple of windy days shooting steam trains on the West Somerset Railway and although I have the Rode "Dead Cat" wind gag and the mic's high-pass filter was switched on, they made little difference. The pictures are good, but the sound-track sounds horrid on the TV and unbearable through decent speakers! I'd like to try and rescue it, as far as possible (I know it'll never be brilliant...)

I also have some old shots with camera motor rumble, low frequency hum and other similar problems. Isn't it amazing what you start to hear when you get some proper monitors?

Mark, If you don't have the luxury of fixing these problems by dubbing(ie.,repalcing dialog by re-recording it to image) then I would advise to use an EXPANDER/GATE plug-in in whatever DAW you're using. Most of these plug-ins have presets that'll do the job pretty well. If you're still not satisfied with the preset, try tweaking the controls on it(attack, release,ratio, threshold) till you get all that rumble lowered to a minimum without truncating any of the actual dialog. Good luck Jim! This tape will self-destruct in 3 secs.

Ralph Keyser June 7th, 2006 11:13 AM

It's probably just the fact that I've been using it since it was Cool Edit, but I find Audition to be a really powerful program. For multi-track soundtrack development, it's been able to handle some very complex jobs. It does, however, come with something of a learning curve, so for the simple things that Lars originally mentioned, it's overkill.

What kinds of problems have you guys been seeing with v2.0? Mine has proven to be pretty stable.

Matthew de Jongh June 7th, 2006 04:49 PM

i started with audition 1.0 and 2.0 is working great for me.

audition is extra useful if you are using premere pro 2 as you simply pick open in audition and the audio track magically opens up in audition, you do your work cleaning up, filling empty tracks etc. and then just go pack to premiere pro and the updates are just there.

prior to verson 2.0 you had to open audition, open the audio from the video, make your changes and then reattach the audio to the video save it as something else and then in premiere you had to bring in the new files.

is a dream being able to pop back and forth between premiere and audition

matthew

Gian Pablo Villamil June 7th, 2006 06:59 PM

I use Vegas and Audacity. Since I also use Ableton Live, I have a big collection of VST plugins, which work in Vegas as well.

The Voxengo mid/side plugins are really useful.

Matthew de Jongh June 8th, 2006 02:01 PM

can someone share their experiences with the vst plugins?

specifically what plugins help with voice stuff as most of us are doing dialog and maybe fx but not as much music as what the programs are usually geared towards.

matthew