DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Wireless Plug On Recomendations for Shotgun (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/69358-wireless-plug-recomendations-shotgun.html)

Douglas Robbins June 11th, 2006 09:18 PM

Wireless Plug On Recomendations for Shotgun

Currently I have an AT 4073a shotgun and a Sennheiser G2 Wireless Lav system. I want the flexibility to make the shotgun wireless also. It looks like a plug-on adapter might work, but my shotgun is phantom powered.

I make documentary films so the sound does not have to be pitch perfect but the gear has to be very reliable and durable.

Is there a plug-on for the 4073a anyone would recommend?

Is there a wireless system for the plug-on besides the Sennheiser G2 I should be looking at?

Do I need to move into a new shotgun to make this happen?

I can probably justify around $500, but not much more.

Thanks much,

Douglas

Jon Fairhurst June 11th, 2006 11:29 PM

Don't go wireless, unless you really have to. Inexpensive wireless systems add noise and are poor at passing high frequencies.

I bought an inexpensive Shure wireless pair (lav and personal monitor) for a project at the day job. They were okay for the task at hand, but personally, I'd rather use the audio from an on camera mic than the rolled off audio from that particular wireless lav. (BTW, we tried both an omni and cardiod, and found both to be really dead at the high end. We chalked it up to the wireless system.)

Greg Bellotte June 12th, 2006 04:21 AM

The Sennheiser G2 system has two plug ons, but the 500 series is the only one that provides phantom power. I have one and it works quite well. As with any wireless, always make sure you have a clear frequency to work with and you should have no problems.

Dave Largent June 12th, 2006 08:38 AM

If I were you I'd get the Sennheiser 500 series
plug-on that provides phantom power. Should
be good to go with that.

Michael Mackay June 12th, 2006 03:19 PM

I have the 100 series with the wireless adaptor that you can plug on to a self-powered mic. I was wondering if I should have gone for the 500 series but thought the K6 power module - with a suitable mic- would work.

Anyone have any thoughts on this route?

Many thanks

Michael

Dave Largent June 12th, 2006 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Mackay
I have the 100 series with the wireless adaptor that you can plug on to a self-powered mic. I was wondering if I should have gone for the 500 series but thought the K6 power module - with a suitable mic- would work.

Anyone have any thoughts on this route?

Many thanks

Michael

As long as you use a Senn mic such as ME64 or ME66 or
ME67 it should work using the 100 and K6.

Matthew de Jongh June 13th, 2006 12:02 PM

i've been touting the virtues of the plug on transmitter for years...

i've never used it for a boom but i have used it many many times to get the live sound feed off of a sound board at a live show.

depending on what your doing the quality of the plug on transmitter vs hard wired probably won't make that much of a difference.

i have noticed lately that a lot of the news shows with run and gun camera and sound seem to have gone wireless on their booms but they could be using a wireless system that is $3,500 like the zaxcom.

the sennheiser g2 product line is quite good for what it costs. you would have to spend a LOT more to get to the next level above that.

i'm not familar with the shotgun your using, unless it has a battery in it to fulfill the phantom power you would have to either get the skp-500 which is twice as much as the skp-100 or get a different shotgun mic that does allow battery powering of the phantom power.

i have both the g2 and the previous version and when i got my plug on transmitter it was part of a combo that was both the belt pack lav and the plug on and the plug on had phantom.

matthew