DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   FX1 + Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 + Rode Videomic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/69687-fx1-sennheiser-evolution-g2-100-rode-videomic.html)

Christopher Cruz June 16th, 2006 02:20 PM

FX1 + Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 + Rode Videomic

Hi All. Based on great review and my need for improved audio (for wedding videos), i've recently decided to purchase the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Wireless Audio Unit.

In the past, i've been using my Sony Fx1 and the Rode Videomic for recordings (along with other independent recording devices such as the Irivers). While I wait for the G2 to come in the mail, i'm trying to figure out how I can plug in both the G2 and the Rode Videomic into my single FX1 1/8" mini plug port. Both the videomic and G2s have a 1/8" plug and I was thinking about using a dual mono to single stereo plug (1/8" Dual Mono Jack to 1/8" Stereo Plug Y-Adapter) that can be purchased from radio shack (for around $5) to plug both mics into the FX1.

Will this be a problem? I'm hearing that the Videomic requires the Fx1 to be set as 'mic in' whereas the G2s require the FX1 to be set as 'line in'. Is that true? Will the Y-plug adapter work?

I considered getting the Beachtek Adapter for the FX1 but that would run me another couple of hundred bucks and i'd have to pick up another shotgun microphone (with the xlr plugs). I was hoping for a way to get my setup to work with what I have (Fx1 + Rode Videomic + Sennheiser G2).

Any tips or advice? Thanks in Advance!

Jack D. Hubbard June 16th, 2006 04:31 PM

Beachtek

Go with the Beachtek. It gives you 2 channels of audio. Clean. Fiddling with the mini-pins can drive you crazy. If you are spending the money on the G2's, you owe it to yourself to have balanced XLR inputs.

David Ennis June 16th, 2006 04:42 PM

I agree with Jack. You'll never regret the versatility and robustness of the BeachTek. And it will accept input from both the VideoMic and the G2 receiver at the same time. The VideoMic's 1/8" plug goes into the 1/8" AUX jack in the BeachTek and occupies the right channel. The G2 comes with both an XLR and a 1'8" lead, so you use the XLR in the left channel.

Christopher Cruz June 17th, 2006 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack D. Hubbard
Go with the Beachtek. It gives you 2 channels of audio. Clean. Fiddling with the mini-pins can drive you crazy. If you are spending the money on the G2's, you owe it to yourself to have balanced XLR inputs.

OK looks like I should go with the Beachtek like you guys said. It looks like though that the DXA-FX for the FX1 does not have the AUX jack for my videomic. I don't see it in any of the pictures so it looks like I should go for the DXA-4? Thanks in advance.

Pieter Saayman June 17th, 2006 04:26 PM

Hi Christopher,

I recommend that you go for the DXA-6. Then you have the AUX input and phantom power.

I am using the DXA-6 on a FX1 and it is working great.