DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Two lav Mics on XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/71276-two-lav-mics-xl2.html)

Sang Siharath July 11th, 2006 06:08 AM

Two lav Mics on XL2

I'll pull a trigger for a new XL2 and two lav Mics to expand my photography business. I was going for an Azden Dual Channel Camera Mount Wireless Mic, but changing my mind at the last minute after reading some discussions here that it didn't do too well. A few people recommended Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series and Sony UWP-C1 (66) and that's what I'm leaning towards. I need two lav Mics for my new XL2. Question is, How do I hook up two lav Mics on the XL2? I was considering the Azden because it is a dual channel with one receiver. If you have a picture with two lav Mics (two receivers) attached to an Xl2, please show it to me. The decision will be made soon about the Mics.

Thanks

Mike Teutsch July 11th, 2006 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sang Siharath
If you have a picture with two lav Mics (two receivers) attached to an Xl2, please show it to me. The decision will be made soon about the Mics.

Thanks

Sang,

I've got some pictures for you. I have been going to post these for some time, but kept forgetting. No comments on that please!

I made these mounts for my Xl1s, XL2, Tripods and my Sony wireless's. It is so simple that I meant to show all but......!

The small mounting shoes are nothing more than CB or Marine radio mics. I was looking in my boat one day and thought the mic mount look like it would work for a shoe mount, and took one of my recievers up, and it went right in! You can get them a many many places, marine stores, Radio Shack, CB shops, truck stops......

The ones I bought were from a marine store, lots of them in Florida, and were made of plastic. The slot in the one on my boat was just fine, but these were slightly narrow, so I just clearanced them slightly. That resizing can be done with the plastic ones or with metal ones. The one in the boat was stainless steel.

They will generally have two screws to mount them with. I mounted mine to a 1/4 inch thick piece of plastic, that was attached to the back of the XL1s's rods, and to the battery mount on the xl2. I also made one that clips onto the leg of my tripod if I need to use it like that or mount other pieces. All of the pieces weight less than a few ounces.

One additional note, the shoes on the recievers etc. are square and there for the items do not rotate around, as happens with a CB mics which have round shoes.

Anyway, here are some pictures. If you have any further questions, just let me know, but it is pretty easy to do.

Good luck---Mike

Mike Teutsch July 11th, 2006 07:20 AM

One more picture, of the XL2 mount.

Also the first picture, of the two mic mounts, show them before and after clearancing.

Mike

P.S.: I have the Sony units and they work fine. Have two 66's and two 62's. If you are going to buy a pair, you might think about getting two differant frequences, as you have more freq's to chose from and less chance of interferance.

P.P.S.: The picture of the XL2 does not show-up. Either I have done something wrong, of the is a limit on the number of pics.

Mike

Steven Davis July 11th, 2006 07:23 AM

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the tip, I've been looking for these types of connectors so I can mock up some stuff for custom mounting.

Now the other question I have about your pictures is, which is cost more, the foreground or the background? :}

Thanks again for the info, I'm going to hunt down a marine store.

Mike Teutsch July 11th, 2006 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Hey Mike,
Now the other question I have about your pictures is, which is cost more, the foreground or the background? :}

Steven,

If you are refering to the fishing rods, it is probably a toss-up, there are many many more that you can't see! They are going to ebay soon, need more video gear! :)

Also, when you hit the stores, try to find ones with displays, so you can try them out. Like I said, some will work straight out of the box, and some will need to be modified.

Mike

Sang Siharath July 11th, 2006 07:47 AM

Mike, beautifull pictures and thanks for sharing. I don't know if I can find them like yours. I'll call for a price quote from the sponsors here for an XL2 and a pair of lav mics. Will see who can give me a better deal. By the way Mike, should I prefer Sony or Sen? Both cost the same.

Thanks again

Mike Teutsch July 11th, 2006 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sang Siharath
Mike, beautifull pictures and thanks for sharing. I don't know if I can find them like yours. I'll call for a price quote from the sponsors here for an XL2 and a pair of lav mics. Will see who can give me a better deal. By the way Mike, should I prefer Sony or Sen? Both cost the same.

Thanks again

Don't know where you are located, you should enter that inf as it is important to many of the replies you will get, BUT- there should be a store that has mic mounts pretty much anywhere. If not, order them on-line.

Sony vs Senn, I don't know! There was a recent thread covering them and many great posts by Douglas Spotted Eagle, whos advice is as good as it gets. I believe he rated them about the same, with a nod toward the Sony's, but do a search because I don't remember. Search the "now hear this" forum for them. I have not used the Senn's, so therefore I can't make a comparison. Both are probably great.

mike

Sang Siharath July 11th, 2006 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Don't know where you are located, you should enter that inf as it is important to many of the replies you will get, BUT- there should be a store that has mic mounts pretty much anywhere. If not, order them on-line.

Sony vs Senn, I don't know! There was a recent thread covering them and many great posts by Douglas Spotted Eagle, whos advice is as good as it gets. I believe he rated them about the same, with a nod toward the Sony's, but do a search because I don't remember. Search the "now hear this" forum for them. I have not used the Senn's, so therefore I can't make a comparison. Both are probably great.

mike

I just updated my profile. I'll look around for the mount later when I have more time. Now, I'll call for a price quote.

Thanks

Greg Boston July 11th, 2006 09:38 AM

Well done, Mike. You are a man after my own heart with ingenuity like that. Yeah, you'll want to sell those fishing rods cause it's hard to fish from the kind of 'boat' you just got. ;-)

-gb-

Mike Teutsch July 11th, 2006 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Well done, Mike. You are a man after my own heart with ingenuity like that. Yeah, you'll want to sell those fishing rods cause it's hard to fish from the kind of 'boat' you just got. ;-)

-gb-

I'll just stock the hot tub! :)

Mike