DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Voice-overs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/72734-voice-overs.html)

Harrison Freedman August 1st, 2006 09:19 AM

Voice-overs?

What would the best program for Mac be to record voice overs and to edit audio files, like cutting them and splitting them. Do Soundtrack or Logic allow you to do this?

Gabriel Yeager August 1st, 2006 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrison Freedman
What would the best program for Mac be to record voice overs and to edit audio files, like cutting them and splitting them. Do Soundtrack or Logic allow you to do this?

Acutely. I find that 'Garage Band' Is a great program for this! You can change ones voice so that it sounds like a totally different person! plus you can splice the tracks (which is nice)! I do believe it comes free with all mac's too.
Hope I helped!

Gabriel

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 1st, 2006 09:57 AM

Soundtrack, Logic, GarageBand, and if you are interested in a (IMO) better non-Apple app, Peak from BIAS are all great for this. Also there are various versions of ProTools.

Jon Fairhurst August 1st, 2006 11:42 AM

Whatever you use, make sure that you have access to a compressor effect.

Here's a simple voiceover trick: put your voiceover on two different tracks. Leave one natural. Put a compressor on the other and compress the snot out of it. (Like 30:1 with a low threshold)

If you listen to the unprocessed track you'll find it to have nice peaks and dynamics, but it might sound a bit empty and quiet at times.

Listen to the heavily compressed track and it will sound full and consistent, but also dead and lifeless.

Mix the two tracks to taste. Now it's full and dynamic.

Enjoy!

Paul Cypert August 3rd, 2006 04:24 AM

What are you guys using to put your audio on the mac. I'm getting my first project that will require good voice overs. I know the mics to use and I have plenty of software...but need the best/cheap way of getting audio onto my mac

Paul

A. J. deLange August 3rd, 2006 05:52 AM

MOTU Traveller here (4 XLR inputs with preamps and phantom + 4 line inputs)

Dave Largent August 3rd, 2006 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst
Mix the two tracks to taste. Now it's full and dynamic.

Is this a common VO trick? Or just something
you came up with?

Steve House August 3rd, 2006 06:08 AM

Echo AudioFire 8 here - 2 mic/universal inputs with preamps + 6 additional line inputs + 8 line ouputs + S/PDIF & AES I/O. Echo recently intrduced an AudioFire 2 and AudioFire 4 if you don't need as many inputs and they also have the AudioFire 12 if you need more. Neat thing with Echo - if you really need more, their latest drivers allow you to daisy-chain multiple 8's and 12's if you need huge amounts of I/O - 2 12's for example appear as one 24 channel interface.

Paul Cypert August 3rd, 2006 09:22 AM

at these prices I'd just assume get another Mbox....any 100 or sub input devices out there?

Paul

Steve House August 3rd, 2006 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cypert
at these prices I'd just assume get another Mbox....any 100 or sub input devices out there?

Paul

Well you can have good or you can have cheap, but it's hard to get both at once. If you already have a mixer or good mic preamps that'll give you line-level outputs, the Echo AudioFire 2 gives you a Firewire interface with 2 line inputs having professional specs plus S/PDIF and MIDI for about $200.

Bill Mecca August 3rd, 2006 10:50 AM

or you could just hire a vo talent. ;-)

Jon Fairhurst August 3rd, 2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Largent
Is this a common VO trick? Or just something
you came up with?

Hi Dave,

I don't know how common it is (the uncompressed plus conpressed trick), but I didn't invent it. I learned the trick from some of the audio guys over at the NorthernSounds forum. I've used it and was blown away by the results.

I would think that this would also work well for acoustic guitar and other recordings where you want a solid level, but don't want to lose the peaks.

Paul Cypert August 3rd, 2006 10:09 PM

yeah,
I guess I'm wanting the cheap. I have access to good pre's, good mics, talent, etc...just needing something to get the sound onto the computer...don't need midi or anything like that...just one mic line in would be enough...

Paul

Mick Isdes August 3rd, 2006 10:33 PM

Then I'd suggest a analog desktop mixer. A 2 or 6 channel desktop mixer that offers USB or RCA i/o and you'll be set.

Luke Loeffler August 9th, 2006 10:14 AM

Does anyone know if there are cameras with XLR ins and a firewire connection that could be configured as a real-time audio input device in lieu of the many dedicated firewire/USB mic/line interface boxes available?