DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   audio levels in Z1U or P (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/74505-audio-levels-z1u-p.html)

John Sullivan August 29th, 2006 08:14 PM

audio levels in Z1U or P

I was shooting an interview with an xlr connected mike (Sony ECM 44B) and I couldn't get the audio level past about -10db even if I turned the manual control right up to max (10). No limiter was in play so why wouldn't the signal max out or overload?

Gareth Watkins August 30th, 2006 01:05 AM

Hi John

How close was you mic to your subject??....

I use an AT 897 with my Z1 and have done several two or three person interviews using the mic on a boom.... I've never gone over 6 on the volume scale to get the VU meter to between -12 & -6.

If your mic is close enough but still quiet you can up the input level ... Got to Audio > XLR set > Input Trim and add a bit say +6. I use this if I want to try to pick up better voice levels and can't place the mic anywhere else but on camera.

My mic also seems better using the phantom power from the camera.

Finally I have a small pre-amp mixer that I use with the boom and this help set the input levels to what I require...it supplies phantom power and has limiters and wind noise filters... My boom person can easily monitor the levels with headphones and I keep a check on whats coming to the camera with ear bud phones.

I must say though I've yet to come across a situation where a correctly placed mic requires full volume levels..

Regards
Gareth

Jeff Mack August 30th, 2006 09:01 AM

Have you double checked that you changed the source from internal mic to external through the set up screen. Once I connected my external mic to my z-1 and wasn't getting the sound I thought and noticed the meters were still working on autowith the internal. Sorry if this was too obvious.

Jeff

Steve House August 30th, 2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Sullivan
I was shooting an interview with an xlr connected mike (Sony ECM 44B) and I couldn't get the audio level past about -10db even if I turned the manual control right up to max (10). No limiter was in play so why wouldn't the signal max out or overload?

Fresh batteries in the mic and mic turned on? Camera inputs set to mic level?

John Sullivan August 30th, 2006 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=Gareth Watkins]Hi John

How close was you mic to your subject??....

The mike was a lavalier hanging just between the boobs. Perfect spot!

I use an AT 897 with my Z1 and have done several two or three person interviews using the mic on a boom.... I've never gone over 6 on the volume scale to get the VU meter to between -12 & -6.

Oddly enough i have just ordered the same mike and pick it up tomorrow. Which volume scale?

If your mic is close enough but still quiet you can up the input level ... Got to Audio > XLR set > Input Trim and add a bit say +6. I use this if I want to try to pick up better voice levels and can't place the mic anywhere else but on camera.

A good suggestion. I'll try it.

My mic also seems better using the phantom power from the camera.

Finally I have a small pre-amp mixer that I use with the boom and this help set the input levels to what I require...it supplies phantom power and has limiters and wind noise filters... My boom person can easily monitor the levels with headphones and I keep a check on whats coming to the camera with ear bud phones.

Qelle luxurie!