DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Opinions on Azden (or any other) wireless lavs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/74718-opinions-azden-any-other-wireless-lavs.html)

K. Forman September 2nd, 2006 03:43 PM

I have the Azden wireless lapels, and I will say they work. Yep. I can't compare them to the higher priced/quality units, but they do work better than the on camera mic. I also have the ATR55 and will say the same about it. Coincidentally, plugging the ATR into the Azden bodypack will allow for budget wireless booming.

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 2nd, 2006 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Darling
I don't think this will be a "disposable" system for this person. We're talking barely affording something here, so I don't think they plan on risking their gear like this all that often. Although, your point is well taken: there are probably more ways than I'm imagining where this system makes sense to have on-hand. Still, I'm thinking versatility on a budget, and this mic just wouldn't do it for me.

FWIW, the Pro88w isn't a mic; it's a wireless system that you can adapt most any dynamic mic to work with.
We keep a bunch of them around for emergencies, and they're really good to use for boom op headset feeds as well.
That said, we have six Senn G systems in a rack, 14 AT systems (various models) in racks, and a couple Lectrosonics systems in a dual rack. There are also some old Sony, and a couple Sony UWP systems. We're definitely not wireless-shy here.

Eric Darling September 2nd, 2006 04:40 PM

Yeah, I figured it was a wireless system. Just mispoke.

Sean McHenry September 2nd, 2006 08:47 PM

I know I go against the grain on audio quite a bit here but I just wanted to stop in and say that I have one of the 100LT kits. Frankly mine has been doing a good job for me. The first day I had it I had to sub it for a failing Lectosonics unit costing thousands that was getting some sort of odd interferance from something at 2 camera speach I was shooting. Saved the day with no noise (to my ears) and was a great backup. My projects are small and quite limited but these work at a reasonable range. I really wish they did a better job on the mics however. Shure would be nice to have removable wind screens, and the ones on the mic elements are pretty hard to hide, they're really big.

They have a nicer dual channel receiver now as well.

This is what I have:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Sean

Mick Isdes September 5th, 2006 10:28 PM

I love these boards, someone asks "I need an affordable wireless mic setup, suggestions?"
And everyone one starts in with "get the lectrosonics 100 setup... but ditch the lav that comes with it and get the countryman! oh don't forget you'll need the transmitter for your RE50B."

Grant it Azden is cheap, but works when your in a pinch.
The AW88 is not to shabby in the affordable but cheap department.

Using a cabled Lav isn't a bad idea, but on the GL2 you'll have to buy a Beachtek XLR adapter or similar device (more $$$)
When I worked as a ENG op the station used the Azden's for broadcast.. Lol

It's like buying a guitar package for your son. You aren't buying him a 57' strat for his first guitar are ya? No, your buying that for you! But the beginner package will get him going so he can get the 57'

Constance Beutel December 2nd, 2006 04:05 PM

Azden

While I'm still new to DV, I have a Canon GL2 and have a starter set of Azden mics - lavelier and handheld. The sound has not disappointed me and they have performed well. I will, however, upgrade as I progress.

Constance

Josh Chesarek December 14th, 2006 08:25 AM

I have the Azden WR22-PRO VHF Dual Channel Receiver and a few Lav mics and a Handheld. It works for what I do in small rooms but I have noticed that I tend to get static if I am using both channels, in a room with people with lots of cell phones (IE everywhere) If I am just doing a Single mic I havent really had any issues as of yet. Sound is decent and it didnt cost me an arm and a leg really as I got half of the kit for free. I am looking to upgrade to a better UHF system and The Azden kit has my attention I am also looking around at other companies. I need to be able to get at least 2 mics in use at the same tie and would like to have just one receiver on my camera as it is heavy enough all ready as well as not spend $2000 if possible. In the mean time this cheap wireless setup has easily earned its own price tag and helped fund the next upgrade.

Luc Saint-Elie December 15th, 2006 12:51 AM

And about AT ?

Hello,

I'm in a similar search (a wireless system for interviews in a broadcast but cheap (i'm freelance) context).
Any experience about this system from AT : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

--------
Audio-Technica ATWU101830 Camera Mountable UHF Diversity Lavalier System with ATWT101 Transmitter, ATWR100 Receiver and MT830cT5 Microphone
--------

I use a XL2, I want a good sound (not "the definitive great sound" , just a good one, for most of my interview work I use a handhelp AT ATM31a and I'm very happy with it for example.

Another question, what will be the difference between this sytem and a Pro88 (the price is 150 for the Pro88 and 500 for the ATWU101) is the difference in sound quality/convenience worth the difference in price ?

Thanks in advance.

Eric Darling December 15th, 2006 06:46 AM

I have some experience with this system. The receiver takes two 9V batteries, and goes through them quickly. If you're using two identical systems together, you're going through 6 batteries every 5 hours or so (2 in each receiver, 1 in each transmitter). That gets pretty pricey, not to mention painful for the crew and talent during those poorly timed battery changes.

The transmitter has the TA5F connector, which is the same sported by the Lectrosonics gear. It's a particularly good connector, with lots of pre-wired options available among the cream-of-the-crop lavs such as the Tram TR-50, Sankens and Countrymen. So, I view that as a professional feature, and a major plus.

The audio quality is good, although there always seems to be a bit of hiss introduced (this is imperceptible to most people, but discerning ears can always pick it out, until you mix with music and perhaps other soundtrack). It's hard to accidentally change the channel, and you get 100 to choose from, so you're almost guaranteed to find something free no matter where you are. If you only work in one regional area, you're likely to find a free frequency and never change the channel after that. Range is not particularly good, perhaps about 60-70% of a diversity UHF Lectro (although I haven't really tested this - I'm just estimating based on real-world performance). The transmitter is a bit large and heavy, but it's nothing that most talent will complain about. The mute switch position on the transmitter is totally unnecessary, and easy to engage, which can confuse a veteran sound recordist.

To me, the biggest feature of this system is the price. It's an unrivaled deal, really. You get some major professional features - a rugged system that has professional input and outputs (XLR), but costs less than half of the lower end options from Lectrosonics. For $1,000, you get two complete systems. That's less than you would spend on one complete Lectrosonics setup.

Don't skimp on the lavalier. The one on this deal (above) is decent. But don't underestimate the importance of the mounting options. The Tram is hard to beat in this area. Also, invest in short XLR cables with an elbow at the female end. No matter what your setup (audio bag, mount on camera, whatever), you'll be glad you have that cable. And if you get this setup, buy plenty of professional 9V batteries, or save a bundle down the line and get a BDS power setup to run the receiver(s) and mixer. Then, you'll only need 9Vs for the transmitter(s).

If you're running audio only a few times a month, this might be the best compromise system for you. But anything more than that, you'll probably be happier in the long run wth a Lectro - maybe a used unit from the likes of Trew or Tai.

Jim Schweer December 15th, 2006 09:14 AM

A feature of the AT Pro88 I find useful is that it allows microphones other than the included lav to be connected to its transmitter.

Mark Bournes December 15th, 2006 09:27 AM

Mike, I have an Azden 500 UDR UHF wireless mic system, It has a sony ECM 44 lav mic that I use with the transmitter. It works and sounds great. I use it on every shoot, it's very reliable. The transmitter and receiver cost about $550.

Luc Saint-Elie December 15th, 2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Darling
I have some experience with this system. The receiver takes two 9V batteries, and goes through them quickly. If you're using two identical systems together, you're going through 6 batteries every 5 hours or so (2 in each receiver, 1 in each transmitter). That gets pretty pricey, not to mention painful for the crew and talent during those poorly timed battery changes.

The transmitter has the TA5F connector, which is the same sported by the Lectrosonics gear. It's a particularly good connector, with lots of pre-wired options available among the cream-of-the-crop lavs such as the Tram TR-50, Sankens and Countrymen. So, I view that as a professional feature, and a major plus.

The audio quality is good, although there always seems to be a bit of hiss introduced (this is imperceptible to most people, but discerning ears can always pick it out, until you mix with music and perhaps other soundtrack). It's hard to accidentally change the channel, and you get 100 to choose from, so you're almost guaranteed to find something free no matter where you are. If you only work in one regional area, you're likely to find a free frequency and never change the channel after that. Range is not particularly good, perhaps about 60-70% of a diversity UHF Lectro (although I haven't really tested this - I'm just estimating based on real-world performance). The transmitter is a bit large and heavy, but it's nothing that most talent will complain about. The mute switch position on the transmitter is totally unnecessary, and easy to engage, which can confuse a veteran sound recordist.

To me, the biggest feature of this system is the price. It's an unrivaled deal, really. You get some major professional features - a rugged system that has professional input and outputs (XLR), but costs less than half of the lower end options from Lectrosonics. For $1,000, you get two complete systems. That's less than you would spend on one complete Lectrosonics setup.

Don't skimp on the lavalier. The one on this deal (above) is decent. But don't underestimate the importance of the mounting options. The Tram is hard to beat in this area. Also, invest in short XLR cables with an elbow at the female end. No matter what your setup (audio bag, mount on camera, whatever), you'll be glad you have that cable. And if you get this setup, buy plenty of professional 9V batteries, or save a bundle down the line and get a BDS power setup to run the receiver(s) and mixer. Then, you'll only need 9Vs for the transmitter(s).

If you're running audio only a few times a month, this might be the best compromise system for you. But anything more than that, you'll probably be happier in the long run wth a Lectro - maybe a used unit from the likes of Trew or Tai.

Thanks a lot Eric for this very complete experience report !!

Luc

Ken Harlan April 26th, 2007 04:49 PM

using a Sony ECM-CS10 with AT Pro88w

Does anyone know if you can use a stereo lav with the Pro 88w system? Someone told me that only a mono lav can be used with this and that bit of information came from a questionable source. So if anyone has an answer to this question, I'm all ears :-)

Douglas Spotted Eagle April 26th, 2007 04:51 PM

you can certainly use one half of the stereo lav, but the Pro88 is only mono.

Ken Harlan April 26th, 2007 04:54 PM

Fair enough

Spot,

Would would you suggest with regard to upgrading the lav that is supplied with the Pro-88W?