DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   I'll just break down and ask...yell at me later. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/76308-ill-just-break-down-ask-yell-me-later.html)

Rich Hibner September 26th, 2006 11:19 PM

I'll just break down and ask...yell at me later.

Okay, please don't blast me away with comments on how I should search the threads, but be realistic, threads can only support so much information on something that hasn't been asked the way you want it to be asked, and it's much more special when you start a thread.

So, I'm looking for a mic. Roll eyes here. I've read about the Oktava, Nt something other and the Me##. I need it for indie movies. Not interviews, music, live events, v.o's. Just indoor outdoor scenes. I'm on a budget of or around $150.00 to $250.00 for a mic. I'd like to know if I need to buy two mics one for outdoor or one for indoor or is there one for both. I need specific brand and model numbers. Please don't go off topic because I just need straight foward answers. I really do appreciate your help.

-Rh

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 26th, 2006 11:27 PM

First, this has been asked just about every way it can be asked.
Second, on your budget you won't be able to accomplish 2 mics, barely just managing one mic.
Cardioids and hypers for indoors, and potentially for most outdoors, so the Oktava is right in the range you can afford, although the quality is a little off.
Even tho it's a shotgun, the 897 from AT is made to be used indoors. Less sensitive than some others in it's class, it's also made with the idea that many video shooters are wanting a shotgun for indoor use. Unless the room is really small, it works great.
You can also get by with any number of other cardioid condensers, just that your budget is limiting you. How serious are you about your audio? How long is your shoot? You might be better off hiring a sound guy with a reasonable kit. For the small budget, you won't be able to afford a top notch guy, but probably get a few days from a student that is building his chops and kit. 4 ears are better than two...
just a suggestion.
But back to point....this question should almost be a sticky, it is asked so many ways and all with the same basic answers.

Rich Hibner September 27th, 2006 02:44 AM

Thanks. I agree a sticky of the mics people use and what they're used for would be really informative. The bugdet could increase. I just put a round about number down seeing the results I could get. I'm glad you were straight foward and what most mics are for. If you have some old posts where people talk about filming instead of interviews or live events that would help. I read a lot of posts that didn't pertain to movies. Do you have a list of mics even high end that you can list that would be good for indoor or outdoor shots. Even if it's your opinion, I'd still like to see what comes up. Indie filming is getting expensive.

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 27th, 2006 06:41 AM

Rich, I respectfully suggest you search here.
There are hundreds of posts asking exactly what you're asking again.
Shooting interiors is essentially the same no matter what. The questions you need to be asking yourself is whether you want boom or lavs for interviews (if you don't have a sound person you likely want lavs if people are moving), and same question for outdoors. Can they be fixed in one place, or do you need moving audio ability? Do you want totally natural, or can you work with very direct sound? Can you get the mic close enough without being in-frame?
Those are your questions that only you can answer. The rest of any answers are absolutely found here already.