DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Suggestions for first audio purchase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/77244-suggestions-first-audio-purchase.html)

Ron Anderson October 11th, 2006 01:29 AM

Suggestions for first audio purchase

I am a newbie at Wedding Videography and need some suggestion for a first time purchase of wireless audio. I am looking for good quality that won't break the budget. So far I have done 5 wedding hightlight videos that were on-site edits and shown at the reception. Thanks for any help.

Ron

Steve House October 11th, 2006 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Anderson
I am a newbie at Wedding Videography and need some suggestion for a first time purchase of wireless audio. I am looking for good quality that won't break the budget. So far I have done 5 wedding hightlight videos that were on-site edits and shown at the reception. Thanks for any help.

Ron

You can do far worse than Sennheiser G2

Ross Jones October 11th, 2006 08:05 AM

I too, endorse the Sennheiser G2 wireless kit - I've been very pleased with it. However, I purchased a Countryman B3 mic (the 'combo' - so I can use it wired as well...) to replace the supplied Senn mic which I found had a slightly worse S/N. At a wedding I shot last Sunday, I wired the Groom with the G2/B3 kit, and it was sensitive enough to pick up the Bride, and the Pastor as well. I was running the G2 receiver through a Sound Devices 302 3 channel mixer so I could ride the audio level as each person spoke. A second mic was appropriately placed to pick up two musicians playing harp and violin (very nice it was, too..).
After the ceremony I relieved the Groom of his mic, and attached it to some drapes near the DJ's speaker in the Reception room (didn't have time to get a live feed from his desk...) which then allowed be to roam around the Reception yet get all the speeches and ambience of the event. When stationary, I had a second mic connected direct to the SD302 to get a more live feel recorded. Each mic went separately to L & R on the camera (VX2100 with Greg Winter audio mod).
Just a few thoughts..
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 11th, 2006 08:20 AM

I don't endorse the Sennheiser after having had two very bad experiences with the G2, However, obviously lots of people are having great experiences with them so...
Audio Technical U100 series (we have 4 of these, love em)
Sony UWP series (low cost, low profile, camera mounted, very nice, but lose the stock microphone)
Lectrosonic (very good, very pricey)
Sennheiser (very popular)

Most of our lav mics have been refitted with Hirosi connectors, making it easier to swap back and forth. Hand-held, we only use the AT and the Lectrosonic.

Nick Larsen October 11th, 2006 12:46 PM

I too am currently searching for a good wireless setup. For the cost it seems as though the Sennheiser G2's ($499) are probably the best bang for the buck if you are in the under 1000 price range. Also for $100 more, you can get the package with the plug on transmitter, which can be used to make any xlr mic wireless, such as a handheld mic, or a wireless boom.

Allan Black October 12th, 2006 10:43 PM

I can soundly recommend the SONY UWP, but I agree with Douglas, the supplied SONY lav. mic doesn't even have a model number on it, SONY manipulating the market again.
I've just added the SONY ECM 77BMP lav, that sparks it up no end but makes the total cost pricey.

Wonder about these twin mic. set-ups, the AZDEN leads pack and the price is right though the receiver is large. Can't believe this idea hasn't been picked before.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Kevin James October 13th, 2006 08:47 AM

On the G2 setups, any recommendations on which frequency group to go with? ABCD.....I dont have any other wireless systems. Thanks!

On a related note, are there any less expensive wireless systems worth their salt?

I'm nervous about trying to do the GS/iRiver thing because I couldn't live monitor the audio feeds..........

Steve House October 13th, 2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin James
On the G2 setups, any recommendations on which frequency group to go with? ABCD.....I dont have any other wireless systems. Thanks!

On a related note, are there any less expensive wireless systems worth their salt?

I'm nervous about trying to do the GS/iRiver thing because I couldn't live monitor the audio feeds..........

With any wireless, the frequency block to choose is driven by the potential for interference from other services - TV broadcasting and remote feed links mainly, bur also pagers, dispatch services, etc, that use similar frequencies. The ideal is to find a block that's not otherwise in use but you can rarely do that. The best choice. then. will be very geographic area dependent. While there are frequency tables by location on the Sennheiser and other manufacturers websites that can serve as a starting point, your best bet is to consult with a pro audio dealer in your area who has a good client base in the local film and video industry.

Kevin James October 19th, 2006 12:49 PM

Thanks for all the help guys!

I ended up Grabbing the g2 eng kit with the shotgun adapter and an AT-897 from Zotz Digital. They both sound GREAT!

Brian at Zotz gave me a great price and got the items here fast (the price quote was even before he knew I was a dvinfo member!)......really personable too. Just incredible service with a great price.....they have my business from now on!

G2 Owners....check ths video out for easy setup help!

http://www.dvcreators.net/products/s...movieframe.htm