DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What alternative to iRiver? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/77392-what-alternative-iriver.html)

Bill Flowers October 13th, 2006 08:14 AM

What alternative to iRiver?

Now that the iRiver is no more and has even become scarce on eBay (of course, just as I learn of it) what inexpensive alternative exists?

I'm just a hobbiest at this point, and right now this is a VERY EXPENSIVE hobby. After I bought my used DVX, tripod and lots of other gear I have approximately $750 left in my budget for an on-camera light plus mics. I know that isn't a big budget for all I still need to buy. I've got a wedding in a week, then I'm covering a SF convention the week after. Both of these are freebies so I can get the experience.

Over the winter I'll also be recording a series of landscaping seminars.

Because of my visa situation here in the US I can't charge for my services, even as a "hobby business". Eventually this will change, so for now I'm doing this to learn and establish a portfolio for later.

When I first read here (just this week) of the iRiver and Giant Squid I thought it sounded perfect to mic the groom and the landscaper in her seminars. But the iRiver just isn't available anymore.

Is there any inexpensive alternatives? Or, if not, can someone suggest an adequate on-camera light that would leave me enough budget for a more expensive digital recorder?

BTW, out of that $750 I'm also looking to buy an Oktava MK012 with hypercardiod capsule, baby ball gag and shockmount. For the SF convention there will be a lot of "behind the scenes" reality-style recording requiring an on-camera mic and light. For that job I've got a 2nd camera and cameraman and about 30 hours worth of tape! The edit will take forever.

Guy Bruner October 13th, 2006 11:38 AM

Bill,
The iRiver 790 and 890 series are still available here.

Bill Flowers October 13th, 2006 12:19 PM

Fantastic! Thanks. I might blow the budget by a bit, but it'll be worth it.

Bill Flowers October 13th, 2006 03:24 PM

I now have an iRiver IFP 895 and Giant Squid on order. Thanks again!

John L Scott October 13th, 2006 04:02 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with that setup. The iRiver's are easy to operate and the Giant Squid mics are fantastic. A++++++++

Guy Bruner October 14th, 2006 10:19 AM

Yes, indeed. I have the 895 and a Giant Squid. Plus, you can use the Rode Videomic, Stereovideomic and any other 3.5mm unbalanced, self-powered mic with the iRiver.

Waldemar Winkler October 14th, 2006 05:40 PM

OK, iRivers useful to us are still available. The question remains, is there an alternative?

The newest iPods now allow recording up to 44.1, but no after market adapters are made for any kind of microphone. I spent a special e-mail to Griffin on this subject in response to an announcement I received about a new add-on voice recording mic.

Anythng else out there?

Ainslie Davies October 14th, 2006 06:49 PM

Is the sound recorded through that iRiver better than into a Mini Disc (Hi MD)?

Bill Flowers October 14th, 2006 09:04 PM

Now I just have to pray that the iRiver arrives in time. I ordered it Friday but I don't think it shipped before the weekend. The wedding is next Saturday.

If it doesn't arrive, then my first serious event is sunk!

Anyone in the Tampa Bay area able to rent/loan me anything for a day?

Chris Barcellos October 14th, 2006 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ainslie Davies

Let you know in a week or so. Just ordered 2 IRivers, and mics, and I already have a Hi MD.

Dave Largent October 14th, 2006 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ainslie Davies

No, the iRiver is a noticeable step down in sound
quality. IRiver sounds a bit hollow in comparison.

Guy Bruner October 15th, 2006 10:08 AM

HiMD records in PCM (WAV) and the iRiver in MP3. HiMD is the way to go for a little more money if you want exceptional audio. I find the iRiver to be acceptable for dialog.

Chris Barcellos October 20th, 2006 09:41 AM

IRiver 895 usage

My IRiver 895s (2) arrived yesterday, but I am still awaiting Giant Squids ordered specially for these unit per recommendations here.

First thing I notice in examining the units is that the input is designated "line". I haven't followed the IRiver thread closely. Is there any special treatment required to record with Mic or a thread to point to.

Edit: May have answered my own question, in finding Lorinda Norton's thread, IRiver for Dummies here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=IRiver+895

But any further comments would based on my question would be appreciated. Sounds like a record level adjustment is what is done to allow mic recording.

Bill Flowers October 20th, 2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Is there any special treatment required to record with Mic or a thread to point to.

I found this post http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ver#post351911 to be quite informative. I've printed it out to keep in my camera bag along with the iRiver, etc.

The expected recording times seem to be low however. I expect he had some music or other recordings on the unit when he tried it. For example, he quotes a stereo recording time of 4:45 at 44Khz, 160kbps while my unit reports over 7 hours at the same setting!

Don Bazley December 6th, 2006 10:53 AM

Just like Bill that started this thread, I only recently learned of IRiver/Squid and I want to buy a few units. Some one posted a link to buy.com, but that link says the product is no longer available. Does anyone know where I acn buy these things?

-Don

Vince Baker January 13th, 2007 01:44 PM

I am in the same boat....trying desperately to find irivers but to no avail.

Anyone know of anywhere?

Vince Baker January 13th, 2007 03:33 PM

iRiver CLiX 2GB

Does anyone know if this has a pre-amped mic input?

Searching for alternative with not much success.......:(

Andreas Griesmayr January 14th, 2007 11:57 AM

as far as I know it does not, also the iFP-180T you mentioned in another thread/post does not have the built in preamp.