DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Suggestions for recording music? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/81846-suggestions-recording-music.html)

Matt Buys December 15th, 2006 09:38 PM

Suggestions for recording music?

I want to buy something to record musical instruments from all over the world for background music. Flutes, tibetan singing bowls, electric guitars, banjos, human voices, etc., I have a sony vx1000 and a sennheiser me66. No preamp. I've been recording directly into the mic and I think I have a fairly nice sound room but I'm unhappy with the results. A musician friend suggested the Line 6 for the instruments straight into the laptop. I have adobe premiere 2.0 for post. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve House December 15th, 2006 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Buys
I want to buy something to record musical instruments from all over the world for background music. Flutes, tibetan singing bowls, electric guitars, banjos, human voices, etc., I have a sony vx1000 and a sennheiser me66. No preamp. I've been recording directly into the mic and I think I have a fairly nice sound room but I'm unhappy with the results. A musician friend suggested the Line 6 for the instruments straight into the laptop. I have adobe premiere 2.0 for post. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Why are you unhappy with the result? What's missing? Have to define the problem in order to find a solution.

Matt Buys December 15th, 2006 10:22 PM

I'm struggling with some instruments more than others

The acoustic guitar sounds great but the electric guitar sounds far away and there's some hum (partially related to the pickups in the guitar). Voices are okay. The didgeridgedoo is okay. Flutes are a little too shallow and tinny. I'm hoping for a setup that might have more recording range and potential than what I have now. An upgrade or two. Something between $100-$1000 depending on santa's mood.

Jon Fairhurst December 15th, 2006 11:13 PM

For the instruments, you probably want a small diameter condenser or two. For singing, a large diameter condenser with a pop filter screen is the standard. Another option is a ribbon mic.

I own a flute sample library that was recorded in a very large, live room with a Royer ribbon mic at six feet, and it sounds absolutely wonderful. Santa's probably not in THAT good a mood though.

A matched pair of Rode NT5s would be great for instruments. I own a Steinway piano sample library that was recorded with NT5s. It's very rich.

For recording into a PC take a look at some of the firewire audio interfaces. For a preamp, check out FMR Audio's RNP (really nice preamp).

The NT5s (or other small condenser pair) would also compliment your ME66 nicely. Use the ME66 outdoors, and an NT5 indoors. Use the stereo NT5s to capture the ambient noise of crowds, traffic, etc.

BTW, I bought my daughter a pair of Studio Projects small condensers (C4s). I don't recommend them. I found them to sound "crunchy" and noisy. From many of the instruments you list, you will want a nice clean sound - especially for those singing bowls.

For electric guitar, the standard mic is a Shure SM57. put it up close to the speaker offset a few inches. Don't forget to turn up the amp before recording! If you play a mellower style, turn the volume down a bit and go with the NT5s.

Sure a Pod or other digital effects box will give you a wider variety of sounds, but the results will be a bit harsh. For a creamy sound, a tube amp and mic is the way to go.

Steve Veloudos December 21st, 2006 08:37 AM

Recording Equipment

Check out the Digidesign Mbox 2. This will work well with a laptop and the Pro Tools audio software is included for free. I have been using this system for over a year in my studio and I think it is great!